Learning Languages

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Learning Languages

I have recently been filled with an inexplicable desire to become bilingal ( ), but don't know many places (infact, i don't know any) to learn languages. So if anyone knows what books, websites etc can help me leanr languages (any listed below) quickly and resonably fluently, please tell me

Languages i am after:

French
    German
    Spanish
    Italian
    Russian

ty
    eimi men anthropos pollon logon, mikras de sophias

Mime

Seriously, dont start french, it's really hard and full of exeptions. Try german, it's similar to english.

Spec. (trust me, french is my first language)
    -Never argue with an idiot; He will bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Comment

Try Finnish. It's fun to learn.
      In da butt.
      "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius
      THE UNDEFEATED SUPERCITIZEN w:4 t:2 l:1 (DON'T ASK!)
      "God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.

Comment

Seriously though, isn't there any night schools etc, where you could take classes? Would be lot easier to learn I bet..
        In da butt.
        "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius

Comment

Try German, maybe, or Spanish, French is too complex.

Russian is very different, and it's nearly impossible to speak and write without mistakes if it's not your mother tongue, some very nasty stuff there.
          Solver, WePlayCiv Co-Administrator
          I can kill you whenever I please... but not today. - The Cigarette Smoking Man

Comment

Re: Learning Languages

Originally posted by The Andy-Man
            So if anyone knows what books, websites etc can help me leanr languages (any listed below) quickly and resonably fluently, please tell me
            http://www.apolyton.net has been a great help for me . Oh, you mean learning some other language than English? I guess you could, after gaining some base knowledge, go to some "foreign-language" online forum and just bravely start posting. People won't care if you don't really know the language too well, as long as you show effort and an ability to learn. Our Lord Who Lives At Tampere knows that a little ambiguity and weirdness was good enough for him .
            This is Shireroth, and Giant Squid will brutally murder me if I ever remove this link from my signature | In the end it won't be love that saves us, it will be mathematics | So many people have this concept of God the Avenger. I see God as the ultimate sense of humor -- SlowwHand

Comment

Spanish is regularly common and without many exceptions, so it should be relatively easy. pronoiunciation is simpler than that of German.

Once you learn Spanish, more langauges come within reach, such as French, Italian, Portuguese.
              If you don't like reality, change it! me
              "Oh no! I am bested!" Drake
              "it is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong" Voltaire
              "Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw

Comment

Actually, I've lately been wondering whether it's true that some languages are "harder" to learn than others. It is very hard, though, to attain native-like skills in any foreign language.

Comment

Originally posted by Aivo½so
                  Actually, I've lately been wondering whether it's true that some languages are "harder" to learn than others. It is very hard, though, to attain native-like skills in any foreign language.
                  That totally depends on what your original language is. German is quite easy for an English speaker and hellishly hard for a Chinese speaker (unless he speaks English too.)

And Andy-Man: why limit yourself to Europe? Try Chinese , or Japanese, or Arabic. I suspect that these might end up more useful.
                  Poor silly humans. A temporarily stable pattern of matter and energy stumbles upon self-cognizance for a moment, and suddenly it thinks the whole universe was created for its benefit. -- mbelleroff

Comment

Latin uber alles.
                    Blog | Civ2 Scenario League | leo.petr at gmail.com

Comment

Originally posted by St Leo
                      Latin uber alles.
                      Peasant! Attic Greek huper panton
                      Only feebs vote.

Comment

pravda.ru and english.pravda.ru is everything you need to learn Ru speech.
                        Then after few weeks book could be helpfull.
                        What is so difficult on Russian language? It's much easier than spoken Chinese. Traditional Chinese writings Rulez.

BTW I learned English from books. Sunruner trilogy and so on. Then i forgot a lot.

Comment

Originally posted by raghar
                          Then after few weeks book could be helpfull.
                          What is so difficult on Russian language? It's much easier than spoken Chinese. Traditional Chinese writings Rulez.
                          One word: cases.

BTW I learned English from books. Sunruner trilogy and so on. Then i forgot a lot.
                          Eh... that's how I learnt English too.
                          Poor silly humans. A temporarily stable pattern of matter and energy stumbles upon self-cognizance for a moment, and suddenly it thinks the whole universe was created for its benefit. -- mbelleroff

Comment

I learnt my english watching tv, since we get all American shows here all the time.. I'd really love to learn Spanish, it sounds so good.
                            In da butt.

Comment

While I'm unilingually English, I've sung in French, German, Italian, Spanish, Yiddish, Hebrew, Russian, Latin & Ukrainian.

If I was inspired to learn a secong lanuage, I'd probably go with Spanish...

and rather than finding an Internet site, I'd recommend hanging out with people who speak the language.
                              There's nothing wrong with the dream, my friend, the problem lies with the dreamer.

Comment

Working...
                              X