No announcement yet.

Your congresspeople at work

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First off, Spiffor, I continue to say that boycotting is not hateful. I might boycott my local grocery store because I disagree with their labor practice, but I certainly would not call that a hateful act. I make incisive comments about politicians all the time, insensitive jokes and all, but I don't hate them. People who boycott France do not want to "hurt the French people;" they want to make a point by economic means. It is generally more effective than just lambasting them.

Originally posted by Spiffor
    That's good to know. I've thought people on your side of the pond became more obsessed by us than by their weewees. I sure hope it'll continue to be a marginal trend, and won't become mainstream.
    Thanks for the explanations on how congresspeople are elected.
    I see a fair amount of French surrender jokes, but it's not really that prevelent.

The thing you have to keep in mind with congresspeople is that, while they operate on a national level, if they don't keep their small community (I thought it was a few 100,000 people per rep or something, which is not that many) happy they will lose their seat. Thus, for them, politics really is local, and they end up doing things that seem strange nationally to appeal to their local voters. Contrast that to Senators, who generally don't do this nonsense because they have a whole state voting for them, so they need to think more nationally.
    Lime roots and treachery!
    "Eventually you're left with a bunch of unmemorable posters like Cyclotron, pretending that they actually know anything about who they're debating pointless crap with." - Drake Tungsten

Comment

I find it quite frightening that our nation has reached the point where a Congressman thinks he can disguise an obvious piece of pork by cloaking it in anti-France rhetoric.
      "My nation is the world, and my religion is to do good." --Thomas Paine
      "The subject of onanism is inexhaustable." --Sigmund Freud

Comment

Originally posted by Guynemer
        I find it quite frightening that our nation has reached the point where a Congressman thinks he can disguise an obvious piece of pork by cloaking it in anti-France rhetoric.
        Pork is eternal, like death and taxes.
        "Eventually you're left with a bunch of unmemorable posters like Cyclotron, pretending that they actually know anything about who they're debating pointless crap with." - Drake Tungsten

Comment

That was kinda my rational. Well, if our reasoning is true, then our Congresspeople are smarter than we think .
          “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
          - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

I don't know if he's smart or not; but he is obviously amoral, like most other Congresspeople.

Seriously--our society has reached the point where anti-France feelings are used to disguise pork; no, worse than disguise pork, to wrap it in patriotism! It's just so ****ing sickening.
            "My nation is the world, and my religion is to do good." --Thomas Paine
            "The subject of onanism is inexhaustable." --Sigmund Freud

Comment

I don't know if he's smart or not; but he is obviously amoral, like most other Congresspeople.

I see nothing wrong with our Congressmen being amoral . In fact, I'd perfer it since it'd get rid of all the 'moral' laws.
              “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
              - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Exactly Guynemer!

That is what pisses me off to no end about this story, and the fact that I don't mind one bit that tyhe French caused political harm to this admin. makes it even worse for me.

Will a sinlge extra American boy die due to what the French did between sept. and march? NO. So then, what the hell is the problem? The lenghts by which the admin. (and Tony) went to blame France for their diplomatic failures is absurd.

I just hope this sort of idiocy ends quickly after the war.
                If you don't like reality, change it! me
                "Oh no! I am bested!" Drake
                "it is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong" Voltaire
                "Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw

Comment

Originally posted by Guynemer
                  no, worse than disguise pork, to wrap it in patriotism! It's just so ****ing sickening.
                  Not like pork wrapped in bacon, which is divine.

Comment

How can y'all associate the expenditures of the state with pork? I will not stand for this slander. Those poor pigs...
                    "Beware of the man who works hard to learn something, learns it, and finds himself no wiser than before. He is full of murderous resentment of people who are ignorant without having come by their ignorance the hard way. "
                    -Bokonon

Comment

Originally posted by Kontiki
                      All products from the Universal group of companies
                      I thought Vivendi was in the process of selling Universal?
                      "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
                      Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Well, with Vivendi's finances, they should.

But seel it to the Germans! haha..wait, we aren't boycotting the Germans...
                        If you don't like reality, change it! me
                        "Oh no! I am bested!" Drake
                        "it is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong" Voltaire
                        "Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw

Comment

Working...
                        X