A question: Purple Hearts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A question: Purple Hearts

IIRC the Purple Heart is awarded to miltary personnel wounded in action.

Is there a record for the number of Purple Hearts awarded to a single person? If there is I wonder who this unlucky or suicidally brave person is or was.
    Only feebs vote.

The way I knew it, I thought the purple heart was awarded once, the first time you were wounded. But then again, I came up with this theory just now....
    :-p

Comment

Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
      "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
      He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

CalcII

I don't know either... have you ever seen the Band of Brothers series than ran a while ago. They boys in that, by the end, where adding up the number of points they needed in order to be sent home. I guess there was some kind of point system based on how many times you were injured and what kind of injury it was. Thus, based on a TV show, there is a max number of purple hearts that you can theoreticlly receive before being sent home. That is, however, if you get more than one.
        Monkey!!!

Comment

(1) A Purple Heart is authorized for the first wound suffered under conditions indicated above, but for each subsequent award an Oak Leaf Cluster will be awarded to be worn on the medal or ribbon. Not more than one award will be made for more than one wound or injury received at the same instant or from the same missile, force, explosion, or agent.
          Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.

Comment

I looked at purpleheart.org but I couldn't find an answer. I did look before I asked. The best I could come up with in a search is eight (from a Google Search) but the page itself was down.

What's the record for the CMH? I know that Tom Custer (brother of George Armstrong) had two. He must have been a real psycho to get two.
            Only feebs vote.

Comment

Then whose got the most Oak Leaf clusters?
              Monkey!!!

Comment

Originally posted by SlowwHand
                (1) A Purple Heart is authorized for the first wound suffered under conditions indicated above, but for each subsequent award an Oak Leaf Cluster will be awarded to be worn on the medal or ribbon. Not more than one award will be made for more than one wound or injury received at the same instant or from the same missile, force, explosion, or agent.
                OK so this is roughly the same system as the British one in which you are awarded a bar for each subsequent award of the medal. So a double VC is properly referred to as a VC and bar.
                Only feebs vote.

Comment

Originally posted by Japher
                  Then whose got the most Oak Leaf clusters?
                  That would be good old Stumpy Calhoun.

Comment

Most, if not all, Medal are given only once, each subsequent award of the same type give a star or some other symbol on the award.

For example, My southwest asia expeditionary medal, had a bronze star on it(two actually the first came with the medal) denoting that I served in the persian gulf on two seperate occasions.

ACK!
                    Don't try to confuse the issue with half-truths and gorilla dust!

Comment

Originally posted by SlowwHand

That would be good old Stumpy Calhoun.
                      Your search - "stumpy calhoun" - did not match any documents.

Suggestions:
                      - Make sure all words are spelled correctly.
                      - Try different keywords.
                      - Try more general keywords.
                      Only feebs vote.

Comment

Originally posted by Tuberski

ACK!
                        What the hell does "ACK!" mean?
                        Only feebs vote.

Comment

It's what Bill the Cat (his avatar) says, hairball
                          Monkey!!!

Comment

Vietnam War Medal of Honor recipient Robert Howard was wounded 14 times in 54 months of combat duty, for a total of 9 awards of the Purple Heart
                            Not sure if that is the record though...

reference site
                            Monkey!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Agathon

Your search - "stumpy calhoun" - did not match any documents.

Suggestions:
                              - Make sure all words are spelled correctly.
                              - Try different keywords.
                              - Try more general keywords.
                              Sorry. That was a weak attempt at humor.
                              I don't know who the person would actually be.
                              Audie Murphy would be a good guess.

Comment

Working...
                              X