5 Years Ago this...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 5 Years Ago this...

George Michael was arrested by an undercover cop in an LA toilet and charged with 'lewd conduct'.

Is this the practise the British police used to do where theyu would pose as gay men and make an advance at real gay men and if they responded they would be arrested?

If so, does this still go on in the States? Is there opposition to it?

In regards to G. Michael:

"Pop singer George Michael has said he thinks he got himself deliberately arrested for lewd conduct in 1998 to try to refocus his life after a string of tragedies.
    The star spoke openly about his arrest for lewd conduct in a Los Angeles public toilet in an interview with BBC Radio 1's Jo Whiley. "

BBC, News, BBC News, news online, world, uk, international, foreign, british, online, service

In regards to your other question, I don't know. Like so many things in this country, I'm sure it depends upon the municipality.

Comment

There was a bust in Philly recently, but the police only observed the activity, they didn't solicite. If I had sex with my wife in public places I would get arrested, so I don't see why men having sex shouldn't face the same justice. Like they say: "Get a room".

Prostitution Bust at Strawbridge's
      11 Men Arrested

February 12, 2003 — Strawbridge's department store in Center City was the scene of a male prostitution sting Wednesday night that netted 11 suspects.
      Philadelphia police arrested eleven men in the 6th floor restroom of the Strawbridge's store at 8th and Market Streets.

The suspects face lewdness and prostitution charges.

Even the head of the vice squad says this was a new one for him, but undercover surveillance confirmed that alleged male prostitutes were setting up shop at Strawbridges.

At the request of Strawbridge's management, Philadelphia police conducted two under cover surveillance operations at the 8th and market store. One on Jan 15th, the other today. They arrested 11 men total on prostitution and public lewdness charges. Police say the rendezvous were arranged through a hard core website and have been going on for six months on the sixth floor men's room adjacent to the restaurant.

Strawbridges says none of its other stores is facing a similar problem. It has yet to figure out why the center city store was chosen. Customers went about their business, baffled as to why anyone would come to a public place for private conduct.

There are no Strawbridges employees among the arrests. Police say the acts were not confined to the stalls, but out in the open in the men's room. A man and his son were among those who witnessed and reported the incidents.
      "Stuie has the right idea" - Japher
      "I trust Stuie and all involved." - SlowwHand
      "Stuie is right...." - Guynemer

Comment

Re: 5 Years Ago this...

Originally posted by red_jon
        Is this the practise the British police used to do where theyu would pose as gay men and make an advance at real gay men and if they responded they would be arrested?

If so, does this still go on in the States? Is there opposition to it?
        Isn't that entrapment?
        One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

I agree people shoudn't be having sex in public places - but it was the case in this country that they would arrest you even if you just approached them to arrange a date. (Technically it is still illegal to arrange a date for a gay friend - though the law is set to change soon).

Comment

Originally posted by red_jon
            I agree people shoudn't be having sex in public places - but it was the case in this country that they would arrest you even if you just approached them to arrange a date. (Technically it is still illegal to arrange a date for a gay friend - though the law is set to change soon).
            to be fair its still illegal to where a hat on a sunday( or the other way round anyway you get my point).
            Space is big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind- bogglingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the road to the chemist's, but that's just peanuts to space.
            Douglas Adams (Influential author)

Comment

Stupid laws are funny. Just not when the laws are actually practised (was it the Bolton 7 who were prosecuted a few years ago for having consentual sex with more than 2 persons present?)

Comment

It was a reasonable test case, they were hammering nails into each others bits. i know it was consensual but you could see why the authorities were a little bit concerned
                Space is big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind- bogglingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the road to the chemist's, but that's just peanuts to space.
                Douglas Adams (Influential author)

Comment

I don't care to read of things like this, but was the undercover cop not some guy just taking a dump beside George's stall and heard him whacking?

Comment

I don't know about the situation which is why I was asking about it.

Comment

Equal opportunity under the law.
                      Police plant officers posing as hookers for the straights.
                      Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
                      "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
                      He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

What the hell?

Who keeps track of the anniversary of crap like this?
                        "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
                        Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Originally posted by Asher
                          What the hell?

Who keeps track of the anniversary of crap like this?
                          I believe it was Red Jon.

Comment

I believe Zkribbler is correct.

What about Hugh Grant?
                            Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
                            "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
                            He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

I'm assuming for Redfern's sake he saw it on some website rather than remember it.
                              "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
                              Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Working...
                              X