No announcement yet.

Message to all A-10 pilots:

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Have any Brits killed any Americans in FF since Korea?

Have any Americans been killed by anybody else's friendly fire since Korea (don't know...but suspect not).

If thje answer's what I think it is then that's probably more telling.
    12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
    Stadtluft Macht Frei
    Killing it is the new killing it
    Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Originally posted by CerberusIV
      True, but a firefight in the dark with hostile forces is one thing, strafing a friendly armoured column in daylight is another.
      Both the Brits and Americans have adequate nightvision.

And you'd think a Brit Challenger crew might be more familiar with the location and looks of another Challenger tank than a US Airforce pilot...
      "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
      Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Originally posted by Frogger
        Have any Brits killed any Americans in FF since Korea?
        Why do we need to specify killing of Americans?
        The Brits have had many other Brit FF incidents already in Iraq...
        "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."

Comment

Originally posted by SpencerH
          Maybe its the same A10 pilot who shot up the Brit APC's in GW1. Maybe he just doesn't like the Union Jack.
          I know they were still finding japanese soldiers on pacific islands after WW2 who thought the war hadn't ended, but surely news has got out about the War of Independence......

Comment

Originally posted by Asher
            Maybe the brits shouldn't have cheaped out on the GPS transponders, which indictate to attacking airplanes it's a friendly rather than just a normal sight.
            Don't know if it's gps but they got something, according to the article:
            "All this kit has been provided by the Americans. They've said if you put this kit on you won't get shot."

What I find so disturbing here is that the A-10 circled and did a second attack, killing one of the soldiers. He must feel really bad right now

The civilians who watched probably thought it was an Iraqi plane..
            CSPA

Comment

"Boys and their toys...."

Comment

And you'd think a Brit Challenger crew might be more familiar with the location and looks of another Challenger tank than a US Airforce pilot...
                How long do you have/need to identify a barely visible tank charging at you before you decide to pull the trigger? How long do you have/need to identify a tank in broad daylight when you are in a plane at 5,000 feet?
                One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

Originally posted by Big Crunch

How long do you have/need to identify a barely visible tank charging at you before you decide to pull the trigger? How long do you have/need to identify a tank in broad daylight when you are in a plane at 5,000 feet?

..so how can a tank 'charge' at a plane at 5,000 ft?

Comment

How long do you have/need to identify a barely visible tank charging at you before you decide to pull the trigger?
                    A lot more than you do in a jet airplane, no?

How long do you have/need to identify a tank in broad daylight when you are in a plane at 5,000 feet?
                    ...moving at 500mph.

Comment

Originally posted by reds4ever

..so how can a tank 'charge' at a plane at 5,000 ft?
                      I never said it could.

I think you have missed my point.

Comment

A lot more than you do in a jet airplane, no?

...moving at 500mph.
                        Do you agree that the US aircraft should have taken the time to identify its target? After all it was in no direct danger.

Comment

I never said it could.

I think you have missed my point.
                          sorry, i am indeed a complete muppet, it's amazing what a few cans of beer can do......my apologies

Comment

Do you agree that the US aircraft should have taken the time to identify its target? After all it was in no direct danger.
                            In retrospect, of course.

But I disagree about your no direct danger remark, A-10s fly low to the ground and are succeptible to groundfire, shoulder-launched missiles, etc.

It saw a combat vehicle, thought it was an enemy, destroyed it.

In Retrospect, he should have waited to realize it was not an enemy.

But I don't think it's any worse than the Brit Tank blowing another Brit Tank up...

Comment

theres been a lot made in the UK press that the tank crew were lucky the A10 pilot didn't use his missiles, does anyone have an idea why not? more fun to straff..?

Comment

Originally posted by reds4ever
                                theres been a lot made in the UK press that the tank crew were lucky the A10 pilot didn't use his missiles, does anyone have an idea why not? more fun to straff..?
                                Missiles cost a lot more, and the A10s gun (depleted uranium shells, IIRC they're classified by the UN as WMD) is just as effective in ripping apart tanks.

Comment

Working...
                                X