• Show
Clear All

• Message to all A-10 pilots:

Here's a tip on how to tell friend from foe:

Bad guys:

Good guys:

good luck!
    CSPA

Hard to tell from the high elevations they have them flying at...
    Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

BBC, News, BBC News, news online, world, uk, international, foreign, british, online, service

Three wounded UK soldiers have described how they survived an attack by a US A-10 Thunderbolt anti-tank aircraft that killed one of their troop and destroyed two armoured vehicles.

One of the survivors criticised the US pilot for showing "no regard for human life" and accused him of being "a cowboy" who had "gone out on a jolly".
      They said the US pilot apparently failed to recognise that their tanks were a British make, with special coalition identification aids and even a large Union flag on another machine in the five-vehicle convoy.
      He said: "I got a letter off my dad the day before the attack and it said 'Be careful, come home soon and watch out for those damn Yanks'.

"Looks like he tempted fate a bit there."
      CSPA

Comment

According to the figures given on the TV news this evening US forces have killed 5 British service personnel in friendly fire and Iraqi forces have killed 5 British service personnel (in unfriendly fire!).

I expected the US to score higher than that. Maybe the story of the F16 pilot who fired at the Patriot battery that targeted him is making a few trigger happy people think twice.
        Never give an AI an even break.

Comment

Maybe its the same A10 pilot who shot up the Brit APC's in GW1. Maybe he just doesn't like the Union Jack.
          We need seperate human-only games for MP/PBEM that dont include the over-simplifications required to have a good AI
          If any man be thirsty, let him come unto me and drink. Vampire 7:37
          Just one old soldiers opinion. E Tenebris Lux. Pax quaeritur bello.

Comment

Originally posted by Oerdin
            Hard to tell from the high elevations they have them flying at...
            A10s fly at high elevation? I thought they were really down-and-dirty, kill 'em with cannon fire type of airplanes.
            12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
            Stadtluft Macht Frei
            Killing it is the new killing it
            Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Aren't pilots given recognition tests for vehicles? I find it hard, for any height under 10,000 feet, to mistake a Challenger for the T-55's Iraqis would be using in the south, or a Warrior for any type of BMP.

And as frogger said, A-10's don't attack from that high up with thier main gun.
              If you don't like reality, change it! me
              "Oh no! I am bested!" Drake
              "it is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong" Voltaire
              "Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw

Comment

Don't worry, Brits: it wasn't the A10 pilot's fault. If that isn't clear immediately, the USAF (or whatever branch it was) will hold a rigorous investigation to prove it.
                Stadtluft Macht Frei
                Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

I find it hard, for any height under 10,000 feet, to mistake a Challenger for the T-55's
                  Ahem, double check that one. on 10,000 feet you'll see a couple of spots, at best.
                  urgh.NSFW

Comment

Maybe the brits shouldn't have cheaped out on the GPS transponders, which indictate to attacking airplanes it's a friendly rather than just a normal sight.

IIRC, AH-64Ds and A-10s are both equipped with the technology to classify targets as friend/foe based on radar data and the presense of a friendly transponder...
                    "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
                    Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Asher, most vehicles in the US army don't have those, IIRC.

It was a funding issue...
                      Stadtluft Macht Frei
                      Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

A NATO IFF for AFV's is due to begin testing in 2005.

Just in time for GWIII.

Comment

Originally posted by CerberusIV
                          According to the figures given on the TV news this evening US forces have killed 5 British service personnel in friendly fire and Iraqi forces have killed 5 British service personnel (in unfriendly fire!).
                          Acidents outdone both, with 15 Brits killed in vehicle/aircraft crashes.
                          Gaius Mucius Scaevola Sinistra
                          Japher: "crap, did I just post in this thread?"
                          "Bloody hell, Lefty.....number one in my list of persons I have no intention of annoying, ever." Bugs ****ing Bunny
                          From a 6th grader who readily adpated to internet culture: "Pay attention now, because your opinions suck"

Comment

It's telling that we didn't see one of these threads when one British Challenger tank shelled another Challenger tank and killed the crew...
                            "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
                            Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Originally posted by Asher
                              It's telling that we didn't see one of these threads when one British Challenger tank shelled another Challenger tank and killed the crew...
                              True, but a firefight in the dark with hostile forces is one thing, strafing a friendly armoured column in daylight is another.

Comment

Working...
                              X