what's "wrong" with this?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Trajanus

Yes the Romans employed decimation but often the unit (often the remains of a legion that has suffered a humiliating defeat) was simply dishonoured and banned to corsica or other unimportant locations

Also decimation didn't include the whole unit, if I recall correctly it was either half the unit, or one tenth that was killed, I'm not exactly sure anymore which...

Also, when the Aquilifer and Signifer (standard bearers) lost their standards, they were executed
    And, during a night watch, when a soldier fell asleep he was executed as well!!

Harsh measures, but they served well as the Roman army was about the most disciplined and best organized force

Btw from what I've heard it's the regular Republican Guard that has death squadrons for deserters, the normal army doesn't have them as you would need a whole lot of death squadrons for such a big army!! Naturally the special republican guard doesn't need these squadrons as they are very loyal. That's what a deserted republican guard reported anyway. Another thing is that Iraqi troops often desert... With a death squadron they wouldn't do that so easily I would say
    I believe these practices largely ended in the late Empire when the army not only became a volunteer force, but also a mercenary force. Gibbon and others report that the army became ill disciplined. Certainly, they could no longer easily prevail against the Germans whom they had dominated in earlier times.

In Iraq, the volunteer elements of the Iraqi forces appear to be imposing discipline on the conscript elements - very similar to the practices of the Romans. It seems to be very effective.
    http://tools.wikimedia.de/~gmaxwell/jorbis/JOrbisPlayer.php?path=John+Williams+The+Imperial+M arch+from+The+Empire+Strikes+Back.ogg&wiki=en

Comment

I think the point of this story is to demonize the iraq administration. It's like demonizing a known Devil though.

Well whatever.

Comment

Originally posted by Trajanus

Also decimation didn't include the whole unit, if I recall correctly it was either half the unit, or one tenth that was killed, I'm not exactly sure anymore which...
        Yep. Actually "deci-mation" means just that: one-tenth.
        "I say shoot'em all and let God sort it out in the end!

Comment

Originally posted by Atahualpa
          I think the point of this story is to demonize the iraq administration. It's like demonizing a known Devil though.

Well whatever.
          No doubt the intent is to show how barbaric the Iraqi's are. Certainly, the people who are doing this will be treated as war criminals. But, the tactic does seem to be working. It is effective in getting Saddam's conscripts to fight.
          http://tools.wikimedia.de/~gmaxwell/jorbis/JOrbisPlayer.php?path=John+Williams+The+Imperial+M arch+from+The+Empire+Strikes+Back.ogg&wiki=en

Comment

quote:
            "Originally posted by Atahualpa

Well whatever. "

Well in america, we supposedly dont beleive in demonizing a devil by using false evidence or lies.
            :-p

Comment

Working...
            X