Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• what's "wrong" with this?

from newsmax
    Newsmax.com reports today’s news headlines, live news stream, news videos from Americans and global readers seeking the latest in current events, politics, U.S., world news, health, finance, and more.

Refusal to fight American and British soldiers means a bullet in the back of the head – the Iraqi version of friendly fire.
    isnt this what has happened, is happening and will be happening in all wars and all armies?
    Co-Founder, Apolyton Civilization Site
    Co-Owner/Webmaster, Top40-Charts.com | CTO, Apogee Information Systems
    giannopoulos.info: my non-mobile non-photo news & articles blog

You're not serious, are you?
    KH FOR OWNER!
    ASHER FOR CEO!!
    GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

you're saying that this has not happened in the past and it's something totally new?

Comment

I think in the US, this is now called "treason."
        (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
        (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
        (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

Re: what's "wrong" with this?

Originally posted by MarkG
          from newsmax
          Newsmax.com reports today’s news headlines, live news stream, news videos from Americans and global readers seeking the latest in current events, politics, U.S., world news, health, finance, and more.
          Seems like propaganda.

"In War the first victim is the truth."
          Sir Winston Churchill

Comment

Originally posted by Urban Ranger
            I think in the US, this is now called "treason."
            do they kill people for it?

Comment

I heard that some American soldiers were executed for desertion in the second world war after the Battle of the Bulge. French and British executed many men in WW1 for desertion.

I doubt that it would be employed in our armies today.
              One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

It is one of the many horrors of war. Of course it is wrong, but it is hardly surprising.
                "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
                "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
                "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Comment

The Russians killed a division worths of their own people in Stalingrad, it did get them victory in the end. With Saddam an admirer of Stalin, maybe he's picking up pointers...

Comment

Iraqi soldier: "I don't want to fight against them!"
                    Iraqi Officer: "What? You traitor!" BANG!

---

American soldier: "This war is wrong and I don't want to fight it anymore!"
                    American Officer: "Well, you're surely entitled to your own opinion... You can go back home now. I wish you good luck and success in your future career."
                    I watched you fall. I think I pushed.

Comment

.000001/10
                      “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
                      "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

No... that's called insubordination. You get reprimanded first and then you get Court Martialed. Usually a few years in the brig (prison), under extraordinary cases it could warrant execution.

Comment

Okay. Treason is when you actually shoot your CO instead of just ignoring him. I get the difference now.
                          (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
                          (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
                          (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

What's wrong with it is that it's murder, and it's widespread in the Iraqi conscript forces.

In the last gulf war, EPW interviews established that Iraqi special security service, military intelligence and Special Republican Guard units summarily executed many dozens, if not several hundred, Iraqi soldiers for trying to surrender. During the Iran-Iraq war, the number is believed to be in the low thousands.

In the US, only one soldier has been executed for desertion and cowardice since the War of Yankee Aggression: Pvt. (E1) Eddie Slovik, in WW2. That was after numerous appeals, and everyone expected that the death sentence was "to send a message" and that it would be modified on appeal. There have been a few (very few) rumored incidents of chicken**** officers being shot in the field (which is technically mutiny and murder, no matter the reason) for refusing to obey orders to advance to help other troops. I've never heard any real substantiation of this, but even something occasional and unsubstantiated is nothing close to the common, entirely "legal" enforcement methods used in Iraq.

Right now, if a US soldier refuses to deploy to the ME (it's happened), they'll get a court-martial, may get prison time, but by no means certain, and likely brief, and will be dishonorably discharged.

If an American officer or NCO clearly shot a soldier or Marine for refusing to engage the enemy (since he's not going to move, it's much harder for there to be an "accident"), it would be very near impossible to cover up, and the military's reaction would be harsh. We have an all-volunteer force, and a different political structure and social tolerance, so cowards are treated a lot more softly. If a few troops beat the **** out of the SOB before he was shipped out of theater, that could get covered up, but murder, no. Mostly, we'd treat the individual in question with the contempt he deserved, and let the MP's and the military justice system process the ******* out.
                            When all else fails, blame brown people. | Hire a teen, while they still know it all. | Trump-Palin 2016. "You're fired." "I quit."

Comment

mainly my issue is with how some people act surprised and shocked that parts of this world have not progressed as much as the world is supposed to be

Comment

Working...
                              X