Board Games

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pssst*

War in Europe. War in the Pacific. Old SPI titles.

See you in a few years.

We once set up WiE with WitP supply and equipment rules. Took a night for the first phase of the invasion of Poland. Didn't get much further...
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

RPGs. with healthy number of friends, there is a surprising amount of squad-based tactical thinking that must be employed, tho the home made tactical grid maps arent as good as those professional board gaem ones...
      "I bet Ikarus eats his own spunk..."
      - BLACKENED from America's Army: Operations
      Kramerman - Creator and Author of The Epic Tale of Navalon in the Civ III Stories Forum

Comment

AH's Civilization of course!

And personally, I love "The Republic of Rome" by AH. It's tremendously complex and difficult to play, but very intriguing.
        CAUTION: Play only with very good friends and still be sure to wear a bullet-proof jacket. This game proved to be more emotionally outraging than Diplomacy!
        "The world is too small in Vorarlberg". Austrian ex-vice-chancellor Hubert Gorbach in a letter to Alistar [sic] Darling, looking for a job...
        "Let me break this down for you, fresh from algebra II. A 95% chance to win 5 times means a (95*5) chance to win = 475% chance to win." Wiglaf, Court jester or hayseed, you judge.

Comment

those two are my favorites and went under misc (Republic of Rome and Civilization)

Jon Miller
          Jon Miller-
          I AM.CANADIAN
          GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

From Avalon Hill I would say:
            Russian Campaign
            Fortress Europa
            Anzio

...all use a similar game system...but I doubt their easy to get hold of anymore.

You could try Totaler Krieg.

I've heard good things about this...the pacific version might be finished by now as well.

It's a reasonably simple system.

"And every Friday night, people come over to play board games."

You lucky, lucky man...I haven't had the time (or space) to do that for years. Can't remember the last time I managed to actually set up a board game of any sort, let alone an old AH one.

Comment

War at Sea and Victory in the Pacific are both good Avalon Hill beer and pretzel type games. The Russian Campaign is also quite good, but is a little more time consuming. For those weekend game-a-thons I quite liked Third Reich, but you need a few good and dedicated players to make it interesting.

I used to play a bit of Squad Leader (with expansions) with my friends, and it can go pretty quickly if you choose a manageable scenario and everyone already knows the rules. Of course Diplomacy is fun, though again time consuming. Kingmaker for some reason was very popular when I was in high school, and I have played many games of it. It was pretty fun admittedly. Ah, those golden years.
              He's got the Midas touch.
              But he touched it too much!
              Hey Goldmember, Hey Goldmember!

Comment

Originally posted by Ming
                I have a shelf full of Avalon Hill games... And every Friday night, people come over to play board games.
                That's pretty sweet. If I ever suggested to my friends that we spend a Friday night playing board games they would look at me like I was some pathetic geek.
                Golfing since 67

Comment

Originally posted by Tingkai
                  That's pretty sweet. If I ever suggested to my friends that we spend a Friday night playing board games they would look at me like I was some pathetic geek.
                  That's because you are a pathetic geek, but don't worry - we all are.
                  If I'm posting here then Counterglow must be down.

Comment

Originally posted by notyoueither
                    War in Europe. War in the Pacific. Old SPI titles.

See you in a few years.

We once set up WiE with WitP supply and equipment rules. Took a night for the first phase of the invasion of Poland. Didn't get much further...
                    We played WiE in college. Our Strategic War Gaming Club would set it up every Saturday and play a few turns. The major powers had multiple leaders with each given a certain task... offense, defense, production, airforce... and the minor powers had a single leader.

We played for almost a full year, with the war coming to end in spring of 1943... The Germans lost

While it was a pain to set it up and tear it down every week, it was a blast.
                    Keep on Civin'
                    RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

"Weapons and Warriors" is the ish... It's not really a board game, it's more of a "set guys up and shoot them with little orange balls" game. I enjoy board games though. Hey Ming! You think we could organize a Chicago 'Poly meet with board games?
                      To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Hey local geek

Drop me a line when you feel like it.
                        (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
                        (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
                        (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

Originally posted by Sikander
                          I used to play a bit of Squad Leader (with expansions) with my friends, and it can go pretty quickly if you choose a manageable scenario and everyone already knows the rules. Of course Diplomacy is fun, though again time consuming. Kingmaker for some reason was very popular when I was in high school, and I have played many games of it. It was pretty fun admittedly. Ah, those golden years.
                          yah, I know that (on squad leader)

and I play some Diplomacy (And I have kingmaker)

Jon Miller
                          Jon Miller-
                          I AM.CANADIAN
                          GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

I get my friends to play with me ~twice a year, not more.
                            "The world is too small in Vorarlberg". Austrian ex-vice-chancellor Hubert Gorbach in a letter to Alistar [sic] Darling, looking for a job...
                            "Let me break this down for you, fresh from algebra II. A 95% chance to win 5 times means a (95*5) chance to win = 475% chance to win." Wiglaf, Court jester or hayseed, you judge.

Comment

Working...
                            X