Something That May Be Worth Protesting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Something That May Be Worth Protesting

Following the disasters of 9/11, many government agencies caught Hell for not communicating between agencies, and a perceived lack of awareness.

The FBI (Federal Bureau of Investigation) began questioning many Arab-Americans.
    That trend continues today, with a focus currently on Iraqi-Americans.
    Having a Radical, emphasis on Radical, Muslim frag his fellow American soldiers, doesn't help.

This is eerily remeniscient of Japanese internment during WW II, which most Americans consider a terrible blotch on our Human Rights record.

If this type of inquisition increases, correction, continues,
    I feel there is a legitimate basis for Protests.

I would expect anyone who grasps the concept of what makes this country great to agree, and be watchful.

Consider this a Public Service Announcement.
    God Bless America, in it's entirety.
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
    "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
    He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

I don't see anything wrong with this. They aren't shooting these suspects, they're questioning them. The enemy is racial-profiling. Doesn't it make sense if we do as well?
    "The great rule of conduct for us in regard to foreign nations is to have with them as little political connection as possible... It is our true policy to steer clear of permanent alliances with any portion of the foreign world, so far as we are now at liberty to do it." George Washington- September 19, 1796

Comment

kick them all out of the US for all I care.

Comment

Sloww, you make me sad.

If the US were to begin interming Iraqi-Americans, than yes I may protest, but to question Iraqi's livining in the US and to question Iraqi-Americans is not worth protesting. Sorry if you feel it is harrassment, but everyone gets harrassed for something. If it is because you are of a certain nationality than so be it. Especially of a nationality that we are currently at war with, and which is known to use unscrupulous tactics.

We are only covering our a$$e$$ and should be doing so.
        Monkey!!!

Comment

It's one step at a time, Japher.

And "only racial profiling" ?
          Come on, buddy. Get with the program.
          Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.

Comment

I am a firm supporter of racial profiling, but that is for another day.

It's one step at a time, Japher.
            There is a fine line between walking the line and crossing the line.

If this type of inquisition increases, correction, continues,
            I feel there is a legitimate basis for Protests.
            I don't care if continues, but if increases I am with you.
            Monkey!!!

Comment

Questioning is useless and a waste of time. I would think the few Iraqi americans that are here are trying to be as far away from saddam as possible, not help him.

What's next? Questioning and detaining saudis because the 9/11 hijackers were mostly saudi. Surveillance on mosques and Iraqi social/ political gatherings?

Errrr....never mind.
              "Perhaps a new spirit is rising among us. If it is, let us trace its movements and pray that our own inner being may be sensitive to its guidance, for we are deeply in need of a new way beyond the darkness that seems so close around us." --MLK Jr.

Comment

A breeze can become a gale in a very short amount of time.

Comment

It is indeed a slippery slope and I agree wholeheartedly with Sloww.
                  If I'm posting here then Counterglow must be down.

Comment

Frankly, I'm astounded that any would disagree with this at all; and I'm called a "Red-neck Cracker" by some ?

Comment

The same thought occured to me. I was saddened to see you having to fight to try and make your point.

This only goes to show that the issue really is worth protesting, not just to appeal to the government, but to the regular guy in the street who thinks that "Lock up the brown guys" is a sound anti-terror policy.
                      If I'm posting here then Counterglow must be down.

Comment

Detroit has the largest concentration of arabs outside of the middle east. There have been these "spectacular" terror busts, that have been splashed all over the front pages, of groups of young men being picked up as suspected terrorists.

Unfortunately, there is little follow up as to their whereabouts or what even what they specifically did wrong for that matter.
                        "Perhaps a new spirit is rising among us. If it is, let us trace its movements and pray that our own inner being may be sensitive to its guidance, for we are deeply in need of a new way beyond the darkness that seems so close around us." --MLK Jr.

Comment

Let alone news about their trials...

I'm sure DD would agree, things have been extra-surreal around here lately.
                          "My nation is the world, and my religion is to do good." --Thomas Paine
                          "The subject of onanism is inexhaustable." --Sigmund Freud

Comment

Originally posted by SlowwHand
                            Frankly, I'm astounded that any would disagree with this at all; and I'm called a "Red-neck Cracker" by some ?
                            I'm also a "backwoods redneck". Maybe the difference is in age. I think that younger people are more apt to take extremist solutions to problems.
                            "The great rule of conduct for us in regard to foreign nations is to have with them as little political connection as possible... It is our true policy to steer clear of permanent alliances with any portion of the foreign world, so far as we are now at liberty to do it." George Washington- September 19, 1796

Comment

I was under the impression that the interviews with Iraqi-Americans were voluntary in nature. If not, then I agree with Sloww. We cannot sacrifice our libertys to protect them. (P.S.-Have you written your Congressman yet to protest the "Patriot Act"?)
                              "I am sick and tired of people who say that if you debate and you disagree with this administration somehow you're not patriotic. We should stand up and say we are Americans and we have a right to debate and disagree with any administration." - Hillary Clinton, 2003

Comment

Working...
                              X