China, Korea, Japan...........

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Spiffor
    Now Tassadar, admit you have shown us the paint-work of your 3 year old daughter !

Here are my attempts at getting it better:

Note that the two at the top are the same thing. Just two different attempts because it is a complex symbol to write.

The bottom one is nearly exactly how it looks. BTW people: Rans was right. It does mean JOY
    Attached Files
    Eventis is the only refuge of the spammer. Join us now.
    Long live teh paranoia smiley!

Comment

Spiff: Yep!

Originally posted by Drake Tungsten

BTW, the Chinese speakers on the board might be taking Tass's question a bit too seriously.
      Nope. I'm pretty serious with the first three....A friend who lives somewhere in China sent me something simply saying "A gift to you" in english and these four characters are on a small object that spins around a central string. Then it has a picture of several chinese boys playing and then theres a large bit of quite dark jade. Below the picture, of course.

Comment

The upper drawings seem to display a rifle and a cross. I can't distinguish the rest though
        "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
        "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
        "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Comment

The upper drawings seem to display a rifle and a cross. I can't distinguish the rest though
          I highly doubt its trying to say "You will get great wealth, then death at the hands of god!"

Comment

Nope. I'm pretty serious with the first three....

Really? You must be the world's worst drawer then...
            KH FOR OWNER!
            ASHER FOR CEO!!
            GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

Tass :
              Remember, the sickle and hammer were translated by Ranskaldan to "Joy"
              D'OH!!!

You know, it REALLY blends in with the rest of those squiggly lines

The other three are Chinese characters though. I'm pretty sure those are right.
              Poor silly humans. A temporarily stable pattern of matter and energy stumbles upon self-cognizance for a moment, and suddenly it thinks the whole universe was created for its benefit. -- mbelleroff

Comment

Originally posted by Drake Tungsten
                Nope. I'm pretty serious with the first three....

Really? You must be the world's worst drawer then...

Ran: Yep, the first three are authentic. And the first (top left) of the first three was correct. Its just the other two (pictured in my latest picture) that you got wrong.

Again, not that the top part of my second picture has 2 of the SAME character. The bottom is DIFFERENT.

Comment

Originally posted by Tassadar5000
                  Spiff: Yep!

Nope. I'm pretty serious with the first three....A friend who lives somewhere in China sent me something simply saying "A gift to you" in english and these four characters are on a small object that spins around a central string. Then it has a picture of several chinese boys playing and then theres a large bit of quite dark jade. Below the picture, of course.
                  Yes it's pretty serious. They read as fu2, lu4, shou4 and is a common poetic formula used to wish people good luck.

(In that order: good luck, great wealth, long life)

Of course, by squiggling it like that you have utterly destroyed it. And adding the hammer and sickle!! Blasphemous!!

edit:

Are you sure they're wrong? Let me try an alternate translation:

Good fortune, great wealth, longevity
                  Poor silly humans. A temporarily stable pattern of matter and energy stumbles upon self-cognizance for a moment, and suddenly it thinks the whole universe was created for its benefit. -- mbelleroff

Comment

Originally posted by ranskaldan
                    Good fortune, great wealth, longevity
                    Yes I'm sure their wrong! I looked very closely at the little drawings, and you got the first one right but......The rest were WRONG :P

And show my symbols for those. I don't read Chinese Also, just for refrence purposes, a comparison:

HAPPY?!
                    Attached Files

Comment

Reverse the second and third.

As for the last one ... I was trying to find something that matches the first three. SOOOOO ....

Comment

I know, I switched tow of the symbols. Oh well, its still wrong

Some errors I noted:

On your "A JT" drawing....The "A" and the "J" should be connected and immediately above it (connected) There should be a large handle coming from the left side and as it goes through the middle is creates a triangle. Then from the center (where it became a triangle) draw a large stick going up. Then go back to the "Center Circle" and draw a C and put a line inbetween the top and the bottom of the C. Then go to the top and slightly down from there put a straight line. Then put a little line off to the side. Yay.

On another one: Draw an "i". Then draw an A off the to side of the i. Then draw a three above the A, and put a large "J" connecting with the bottom of the thre.

Comment

I thought it was the Hammer and Sickle too, but didn't comment on it. Tass, switch the second and third character. Looks closer that way.

Spiffor,

There are various ways of entering Chinese characters. In fact, way too many. I reckon most people in Mainland China uses pingyin, which is a good thing. However, there are also other ways such as breaking characters down into blocks.
                          (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
                          (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
                          (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

Originally posted by Urban Ranger
                            Tass, switch the second and third character. Looks closer that way.
                            Yes yes, I know I made a mistake....

Comment

On your "A JT" drawing....The "A" and the "J" should be connected and immediately above it (connected) There should be a large handle coming from the left side and as it goes through the middle is creates a triangle. Then from the center (where it became a triangle) draw a large stick going up. Then go back to the "Center Circle" and draw a C and put a line inbetween the top and the bottom of the C. Then go to the top and slightly down from there put a straight line. Then put a little line off to the side. Yay.

On another one: Draw an "i". Then draw an A off the to side of the i. Then draw a three above the A, and put a large "J" connecting with the bottom of the thre.
                              I've never seen Chinese characters described like this. Charming.

I know, I switched tow of the symbols. Oh well, its still wrong
                              There is almost no way this can be wrong. If it were I would eat my keyboard.

edit:
                              since I can't digest such materials, let me clarify:
                              the script your friend sent you was in cursive. What I gave you was in printed form.
                              Last edited by ranskaldan; March 25, 2003, 00:42.

Comment

Ah. If my guess is right, the differences is caused by traditional vs. simplified characters.
                                (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
                                (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
                                (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

Working...
                                X