• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• China, Korea, Japan...........

Are great places

And they'll be even greater if someone can TRANSLATE this for me
    Attached Files
    Eventis is the only refuge of the spammer. Join us now.
    Long live teh paranoia smiley!

It says:" This doesn't mean anything"
    -Never argue with an idiot; He will bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Comment

Tassadar,

I can only make heads and tails out of the character at the upper left hand corner. It means "income from a government official position."
      (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
      (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
      (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

does anyone know how their keyboards are set up over there?

How can they use computers? Their written language seems so impractical.

Comment

These are my guesses for what those... squiggles ... are.

Top left: great wealth
          Top right: long life
          Bottom left: good luck
          Bottom right: joy
          Attached Files
          Poor silly humans. A temporarily stable pattern of matter and energy stumbles upon self-cognizance for a moment, and suddenly it thinks the whole universe was created for its benefit. -- mbelleroff

Comment

Dis: depends upon the country and each has multiple systems. But they all have a way to convert romanized characters into ideographs. So they can all use the same keyboards we do.
            badams

Comment

I think (but UR will probably correct me) they write their words with the latin alphabet, and the computer replaces the latin chars by chinese chars automatically.

From my experience as a beginner in Japanese, Ideograms are very convenient once you learned them (which is the biggest difficulty). Once you've mastered the alphabet, it is much faster, and much less room-consuming to read and write many things.
              "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
              "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
              "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Comment

Originally posted by Dissident
                does anyone know how their keyboards are set up over there?

How can they use computers? Their written language seems so impractical.
                The Chinese language inputter was provided with Windows XP. Basically pronunciation is automatically converted into logographs, with the option to adjust in case the computer gets it wrong.

Inputters in Chinese used to be inaccurate to the point of insanity. They've gotten much better over the years.

Since Japanese and Korean use alphabets, (Japanese - partially; Korean - almost wholly) I'd imagine that things are somewhat easier for them.
                Poor silly humans. A temporarily stable pattern of matter and energy stumbles upon self-cognizance for a moment, and suddenly it thinks the whole universe was created for its benefit. -- mbelleroff

Comment

Aren't the Koreans considering to use ideographs again ?
                  "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident

Comment

Now Tassadar, admit you have shown us the paint-work of your 3 year old daughter !

Comment

bottom right looks like a sickle & hammer plus a star.

Comment

yes. long live the soviet union.

Comment

Originally posted by ixnay
                          bottom right looks like a sickle & hammer plus a star.
                          Yay! Someone got it!
                          Eventis is the only refuge of the spammer. Join us now.
                          Long live teh paranoia smiley!

Comment

Aren't the Koreans considering to use ideographs again ?

I don't see why they would. Hanguel is sooo cool...

BTW, the Chinese speakers on the board might be taking Tass's question a bit too seriously.
                            KH FOR OWNER!
                            ASHER FOR CEO!!
                            GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

Tass :
                              Remember, the sickle and hammer were translated by Ranskaldan to "Joy"

Comment

Working...
                              X