Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do you find yourself having to remind yourself not to support the plucky underdog?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do you find yourself having to remind yourself not to support the plucky underdog?

Some may argue that the warriors of a Just war are always outnumbered and usually outclassed, but then you think of the fall of the 3rd Riech and that stoves that theory's head in. In the case of Iraq, not only are their troops outnumbered and outclassed and surrounded on all sides by the worlds most powerful military machine, they are also the ones being invaded!
    If Saddam goes down fighting in this one (and surely they cannot hope to win) then it may be the finnest hour off an absolute bastard of a tyrant, and Muslims will get all 'Inspired' etc.

This war's go all the makings of a Vietnam-Class debacle, that's the last time a small developing-world group of plucky underdogs defeated the super-power and it's relentless mass ordnance dumps.
    Freedom Doesn't March.

-I.

The Iraqi troops are not at all outnumbered. Outgunned to be sure.
    I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

yes they outnumber us.

I don't like the way things are turning out. we may lose this war.

OK that is doubtful. but politically we may lose the war. In fact we already have.

Comment

I'm British so I always support the underdog. That's why I support the UK forces. After all if this goes on much longer they will suffer serious casualties from US weapons.
        Never give an AI an even break.

Comment

I agree CerberusIV, so far we (the UK) have suffered more casualties at the hand sof the Americans in this war and the last five USUK wars then we have suffered at the hands of the opposition in all those five wars.

As for being outnumbered, by all acoounts the Iraqi nationalists and Saddamists are outnumbered as fighters amongst large numbers of Regular Army Surrender Monkeys. The USUK forces always engage the fighting Iraqis in detail- that is with superior numbers and firepower.
          Freedom Doesn't March.

-I.

Comment

At the risk of sounding horribly calous, while I hope that this war is over with as quickly and bloodlessly as possible, I sort-of hope that the Iraqis manage to get a solid (non-WMD) punch in on the Allies. My rationale isn't any support for the hideous Iraqi regime, but a hope that the cost of this war brings the aparently blood thirsty American public to their sences.

*dives for flame proof bunker*
            'Arguing with anonymous strangers on the internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be - or to be indistinguishable from - self-righteous sixteen year olds possessing infinite amounts of free time.'
            - Neal Stephenson, Cryptonomicon

Comment

I agree with that too Red Budgie guy, you kind of want the Americans not to have another push-over war and realise other people can love and defend their countries too, even if they are dusty pans ruled by bloodthirsty tyrants (look how ferociously the Russians thought for Stalingrad, and they had Stalin for president!)
              Last edited by problem_child; March 24, 2003, 07:11.
              Freedom Doesn't March.

-I.

Comment

I always have a tendency to give my hopes to the underdogs. But mostly so in historical battles. When it comes to something that happens this very moment it's somewhat harder. I agree in many ways with Case here. While it's not a very nice standpoint I do hope that it will be a bit to costly for the US to start behaving like this everywhere. The american and british troops are volounteers after all. They get paid for taking this risk. The Iraqi civilians are not and they'll lose either way.

Comment

Originally posted by Dissident

OK that is doubtful. but politically we may lose the war. In fact we already have.
                  You did before it started. Politically and diplomatically, that is.
                  So get your Naomi Klein books and move it or I'll seriously bash your faces in! - Supercitizen to stupid students
                  Be kind to the nerdiest guy in school. He will be your boss when you've grown up!

Comment

If war is a continuation of politics by other means, then this really is a disaster as things are.
                    Freedom Doesn't March.

-I.

Comment

I have to admit that the underdog can get a lot of sympathies. But not often. Its with conflicts I dont know much about only.

First Iraq-US/Kuwaiti war was clear. I hoped Iraq would get their asses kicked hard. I was also kinda dissapointed when the US forces abruptly stopped.

But now, I cannot look at it from an Underdog-Favourite perspective. I relatively clearly understand what the conflict is about and can choose sides accordingly.

Comment

But there is a certain amount of hubris on USUKs part, and watching the Iraqis trip-up USUKs assumptions of striding into the country as the Coalition that always gets its way again...
                        Freedom Doesn't March.

-I.

Comment

i somehow hope that the iraqis resistance will press americans into searching for a diplomatic solution. i know it is impossible and that bush now has to 'save face'. still i cannot support this agression and i am definitely supporting underdogs.
                          i am quite sure that saddam is a bastard, yet his people are defending their country and not the tyrant (many examples in history). they simply regard american occupation as a worse option

Comment

Not surprising when America is dropping MOABs on Bagdad now.
                            Freedom Doesn't March.

-I.

Comment

Originally posted by Kropotkin
                              While it's not a very nice standpoint I do hope that it will be a bit to costly for the US to start behaving like this everywhere.
                              Pretty much how I stand also.
                              (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
                              (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
                              (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

Working...
                              X