Iraqi Military Problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Iraqi Military Problems

We should be grateful that this phase of the US invasion is so quick and easy...

But in this thread I'm trying to understand how it's so easy. How can one division facing another not actually have a battle with casualties on both sides? The Iraqi divisions just seem to disintegrate.

1. Morale:

a. they're fighting to defend Saddam Hussein, who has probably intimidated, tortured, or killed a relative of most people in Iraq. Naturally Saddam is not exactly Ho Chi Min to the Iraqi people.

b. they've been fighting the US AF for 10 years, with a total lack of success, and they know it. They can't get pilots or hope to build up an airforce to match some 600 attack and air superiority aircraft in the area. They can't **** with out it being tracked and analyzed by multiple satellites, drones, etc. let alone put up radar.

They've had a remarkable lack of success in developing better radar or targeting technologies to avoid HAARM missiles, and particular they have been unable to import or make SAM that would worry US planes.

2. Technological isolation: The Iraqi generals know that when Saddam is on TV talking about how carriers are not a problem that he's entered fantasyland.

tanks

On the ground, Iraqi tanks are outdated still, they fire a round which will not even penetrate the US side armour, let alone the frontal plate. They must stop to fire, while the US fires and moves. They are outranged. They have no laser guided targeting computers or divisional available night vision. In actual war, they also don't have much resupply or reinforcement hope, all they can do is dig in and wait to die or surrender.

infantry

this is the 'big advantage' the Iraqis have in that close infantry combat still depends a lot on courage and viciousness, not computers. The Iraqis have AKs, RPGs, 12.7 mm machine guns, all old Soviet crap whose main virtue is that is cheap, easy to fix, and tough.

The have a 'levy en masse' (all citizens called to fight, the grannies and kids), but history has shown that the kids and grannies tend not to do very good in combat, (Franco-Prussian War, end of WWII) in fact they tend to surrender once they realize the bullets are in fact real.

The Americans on the other hand have a couple of tricks their sleeves for the big bad 'Stalingrad' (which Baghdad won't be; there is no relief force coming and the people are not on Saddams side). They have excellent snipers with good equipment. They have a bunch of fancy new guns that can lay down a lot of fire. They have new body armour that, although i would want to walk very far in it, would be a big help in creeping house to house. They have sensors for body heat and vibration which will make it more difficult for enemies to hide out and attack an exposes flank later. They even have a couple goddamned robots that can go up stairs and launch grenades. They've also had a few special groups of soldiers training (fairly) hard in a 'simulated urban environment' for a few years now, with doodads the Iraqis never seen.

In other words, as long as I'm right about the people not supporting Saddam, this should be the easy part, even in Baghdad.

The hard part will be the US occupation, how they handle it, will it be like Afghanistan with tiny US backed puppet government in control of the capital and the oil pipeline, and the rest warlords paying lip service to it? Will the Kurds get a home? What will be the relationship between Iran and the Shiite majority? What the heck will Syria/Hezbollah do with a US occupation force between them and Iran? The next few years will curse us with interesting times.

BTW, off-topic, on Dave's ESL cafe there is a job posting for Jenin, Palestine to teach English......pretty good danger pay if you don't mind the occasional shelling....
    "Wait a minute..this isn''t FAUX dive, it's just a DIVE!"
    "...Mangy dog staggering about, looking vainly for a place to die."
    "sauna stories? There are no 'sauna stories'.. I mean.. sauna is sauna. You do by the laws of sauna." -P.

Ya, the technology is light years ahead from 12 years ago. The information systems alone are putting eyes everywhere.

Those shoulder mounted Swedish tank busters that hit the top of the tanks are also BRUTAL.

I'd be interested to hear the details about body armor. I thought that it was wasn't legal to use in combat situations.
    We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. - Abraham Lincoln

Comment

anti-tank missiles....

that's something I've been wondering about, one of the only ways I see the Iraqis blunting an advance is using some kind of TOW missile like thing, like you're describing, like on jeeps or desert vehicles, or dug into a firing pit like the anti-tank missile the Brits use.

Do they have anything like that?

I have no clue about the body armour, but I imagine if I was an officer in charge of men in an urban combat situation I would use any means necessary to give them an edge, maybe keep a couple hidden in case a tough nut to crack came up....
      "sauna stories? There are no 'sauna stories'.. I mean.. sauna is sauna. You do by the laws of sauna." -P.

Comment

Why would body armour be illegal?
        (\__/)
        (='.'=)
        (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

I don't think kevlar works very well against assault rifles.

Comment

I thought the idea was that if soldiers had body armor, then there would have to be more devastating technology developed to defeat that armor.

I thought they were just allowed flak jackets to protect against shrapnel.

Maybe that has recently changed.

For example in the 1800s, the Russians developed exploding bullets, but they proved to be inhumane (bullets blowing up on the operating table), so they were banned.
            We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. - Abraham Lincoln

Comment

Originally posted by DarthVeda
              I don't think kevlar works very well against assault rifles.
              You just have to design the thickness, fiber spin and weave and other attributes. The Iraqis use 7.62 x 39 stuff, which is relatively easier to design armor against that NATO 5.56 or WP 5.45
              When all else fails, blame brown people. | Hire a teen, while they still know it all. | Trump-Palin 2016. "You're fired." "I quit."

Comment

There is a lot of powder behind the bullet in an AK-47 or M-16. Just compare rifle cartridges to pistol cartridges and you'll see.

But, even though the cartidge is more powerful, it's otherwise just a normal bullet (EDIT as opposed to special armour piercing type).

I think this is something under development, not being used right now, or otherwise that poor guy who was shot in the gut yesterday would still be alive (unless he was shot with something heavier, like a machine gun).

Possibly protypes have gone out to special urban combat dudes, but like I said I imagine they'd be heavy and wouldn't protect against 12.7 mm rounds or the obvious shot by anything in the face.

Comment

Hey MTG do you know anything about the body armor?

Comment

Originally posted by Seeker
                    anti-tank missiles....

that's something I've been wondering about, one of the only ways I see the Iraqis blunting an advance is using some kind of TOW missile like thing, like you're describing, like on jeeps or desert vehicles, or dug into a firing pit like the anti-tank missile the Brits use.

Do they have anything like that?

I have no clue about the body armour, but I imagine if I was an officer in charge of men in an urban combat situation I would use any means necessary to give them an edge, maybe keep a couple hidden in case a tough nut to crack came up....
                    Nothing indicates they've gotten upgraded equipment since sanctions, since all the good stuff is traceable. In theory, if they had the balls to attempt flying them, they have a few AT-6 Spirals for what's left of their operable Mi-24D's and E's. Ground forces have AT-3 and AT-4 Soviet export ****.

Infantry matchups are a misnomer - even the USMC units have much heavier support firepower from armor and IFVs. Iraqi Army infantry units are pretty close to true rifle divisions, with only a few mechanized infantry divisions, and those are armor light - a lot of the mechanized infantry relies on BMP-1 and BTR transport, so even those are firepower light, poorly armored, and vulnerable to ignition since the gas tanks are poorly placed and protected.

US Army infantry units are fully mechanized and have strong scout and attack helo assets, plus MLRS and the M109A6 Paladin, both of which can act as offensive artillery, move with front line forces, and dial in on targets much more quickly than Iraqi artillery, if it's even still alive.

Division on division, a US Army ID has about 20 times the firepower of an Iraqi Army ID, and about 5-6 times the firepower of an IRG Mechanized ID. That's why most of the poor bastards surrender (or will) - they simply realize that they have no chance at all.
                    When all else fails, blame brown people. | Hire a teen, while they still know it all. | Trump-Palin 2016. "You're fired." "I quit."

Comment

Originally posted by Ted Striker
                      Hey MTG do you know anything about the body armor?
                      There's nothing prohibiting it. There are some pretty sci-fi full body armor toys that are in R&D, but nothing deployed that I know of beyond Kevlar. One of the big issues is mobility and heat fatigue (it doesn't have to be hot outside). There's a definite tradeoff between combat effectiveness and protection, so I think it's more practical problems than anything that prevent it's being used more.

Even in urban warfare, you have more of a need for speed, situational awareness, overwatch and firepower, than you have need for armor.

Comment

Thanks, I guess that makes more sense.

Comment

I agree about the morally and technologically superiority of the US-Troops.

But I doubt that it will be easy for the british and american troops as they get nearer to Baghdad.
                          Why?
                          On one Hand you will have to face his Elite "Republican Guards".
                          Yes, their equipment, although better than the Equipment of the regular military units, is still outdated in Comparison to the equipment the american and british troops possess.
                          But they will be more fanatic and therefore more eager to fight and die for Saddam.

On the other hand, because the current rapid successes of the allied Troops could also mean, that Saddam has massed a lot of his divisions around Baghdad, so the resistance will grow fiercer the nearer you get to Baghdad.

It was said in the news yesterday that allied forces haven´t even taken Basrah fully, just the outskirts and the Airport and that they won´t march further into the town, because they fear bloody street-fightings and that they just will leave some troops surrounding of the city whilst the Main force advances further towards Baghdad.

In Baghdad this probably won´t be an option.

(Of course I don´t hope for prolonged street-fightings in Baghdad, where also the civilians suffer, but I still fear that it may be the case. Maybe the cleanest way to win the war would still be if you succeed in taking Saddam and the hardliners within his government out with one chirurgical strike, the difficulty though is to find him)
                          Tamsin (Lost Girl): "I am the Harbinger of Death. I arrive on winds of blessed air. Air that you no longer deserve."
                          Tamsin (Lost Girl): "He has fallen in battle and I must take him to the Einherjar in Valhalla"

Comment

Just compare the spending levels. 300-400 billion US, maybe 2 billion Iraq. The mighty Iraqi military is based on a spending level comparable to that for Austria's joke of a military.

Also, Saddam has concentrated his better units in the sunnite center, around Baghdad and Tikrit, where his power base is. So even if there won't be much resistance in say Basra, that doesn't tell much yet.
                            “Now we declare… that the law-making power or the first and real effective source of law is the people or the body of citizens or the prevailing part of the people according to its election or its will expressed in general convention by vote, commanding or deciding that something be done or omitted in regard to human civil acts under penalty or temporal punishment….” (Marsilius of Padua, „Defensor Pacis“, AD 1324)

Comment

things are getting worse though. I fear what lies ahead.

Saddam now says he has prisoners of war and is planning on showing them on Iraqi television.

A small group of Iraq troops hold out a large group of marines for nearly 4 hours. The U.S. is afraid to do anything with the cameras showing.

And I still think Saddam has something up his sleeve when we get to Bagdhad. I have a feeling something is going to go horribly wrong.

Comment

Working...
                              X