Time to get the hell out of here?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks everybody for expressions of concern. As for various quetions asked:

* Anti-war sentiment here hasn't translated into anti-American sentiment, yet. And the Turks strike me as better than most people in distinguishing between ordinary Americans and the Bush administration, since they have a long history of having a government which acts in its own interest rather than the peoples'. Speaking of which...

* The popular opposition to the war here is rooted largely in an objection to US arrrogance, but also partly in a fear of Kurdish terrorism. It's that latter fear that wll make Turks who are afraid of the war support an incursion into N. Iraq. But their support really doesn't matter, because it's Turkey, and the government and miitary will do as they please. However, it does look for the moment that all they are doing is keeping refugees from crossing the border.

* Beyond that, the military does indeed hate the current government, as does the rest of the Turkish establishment (business, the media, etc.). PM Errdogan has been savaged in the press for blowing the negotiations with the US (Powell told him Monday that Turkish bases were unnecessary and Turkey wouldn't be seeing a penny of US aid). So even Erdogan might fall in line now, as a way of re-legitimating his government.

You know what's sounding good right now? Rhodes. Only 75 minutes from the Turkish coast via hydrofoil. Rhodes is sounding really, really nice. Though I also hear good things about Thessalonika...
    "I have as much authority as the pope. I just don't have as many people who believe it." — George Carlin

Comment

In a couple of years, I'm either going to do a foreign exchange to Turkey or France...
      "mono has crazy flow and can rhyme words that shouldn't, like Eminem"
      Drake Tungsten
      "get contacts, get a haircut, get better clothes, and lose some weight"
      Albert Speer

Comment

Thessalonika is the city of Love, Rhodes the island of the Knights, take your pick

Prices are bound to be cheap BTW, since it's not summer (1) and the tourism has been somewhat hit (2) - people avoid getting on airplanes now.

Comment

Wasn't Thessalonika the "Second City' of the Byzantine Empire? Is it well-preserved?

I love Rhodes, btw; spent some time there a couple of yeras ago.
          "I have as much authority as the pope. I just don't have as many people who believe it." — George Carlin

Comment

My only lasting impression of Thessaloniki was getting offered free weed. From there on, it's a bit murky...
            “Now we declare… that the law-making power or the first and real effective source of law is the people or the body of citizens or the prevailing part of the people according to its election or its will expressed in general convention by vote, commanding or deciding that something be done or omitted in regard to human civil acts under penalty or temporal punishment….” (Marsilius of Padua, „Defensor Pacis“, AD 1324)

Comment

Originally posted by HershOstropoler
              My only lasting impression of Thessaloniki was getting offered free weed. From there on, it's a bit murky...
              I'll take that as an endorsement...

Comment

Both cities really great, but Rhodes is a winner for me. Yet the weather is rather chilly and the island will be pretty much deserted this time of year. So Thessaloniki would be a better choice right now. There's more to do there too.
                "In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act."
                George Orwell

Comment

That's right. Rhodos might be a bit too cold for your taste this time of year.

Comment

There are "mini revolutions" going on in Turkey between the islamic rooted party and the ataturk military.

Go Islamists
                    God, you can make yourself look like an ******* easy.
                    urgh.NSFW

Comment

It's pattycakes... that's his job.
                      “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                      - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Say those who have no clue

Comment

Working...
                        X