Did we score a victory?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by MichaeltheGreat
    Because I'm out on a listening post about 100 meters past the far right flank of the Democratic Party, as it's currently constituted.

Somehow, touchy-feeliness got to be all in fashion in the local party organizations, so the only chance in hell I'd have of running successfully anywhere would be back in Kentucky or Virginia.

Trouble is, to run from there, I'd have to move there, and even if I ran for anything and won, being a centrist southern Democrat is really a pretty isolated political position nowadays.

Bush is actually about the only thing right now that keeps me from considering switching party affiliation, unless the Dems really pull off some sort of miracle and transform themselves as a party.
    Being from the South and a son of Southern Democrats, I can tell you that you would be a welcome voice. If what is keeping you from switching parties is GWB, then I have to say that your logic is faulty. If you place him at the far right of the party then what is needed is a counter weight. A good ole Southern Democrat in Republican clothing would do the trick nicely!

My one drawback to supporting you would be your lack of belief in principled leaders. While many do rise to the top on the shear lust for power, I believe that many are still capable of making a decision on principle.
    "I am sick and tired of people who say that if you debate and you disagree with this administration somehow you're not patriotic. We should stand up and say we are Americans and we have a right to debate and disagree with any administration." - Hillary Clinton, 2003

Comment

• Originally posted by chegitz guevara
      While I'd love to see Blair go down in flames, perhaps keeping him off-balance is a better strategy for now. As long as the French veto can cause Blair's government to fall, the US can't unilaterally invade Iraq, unless they're willing to toss their allies to the dogs, which will really hurt America's foreign relations.
      Attached Files

Comment

• Would you stop posting the same damn picture over and over again?

That's at least three times in the last week. Whatever humour value it had the first time is now completely gone...
        12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
        Stadtluft Macht Frei
        Killing it is the new killing it
        Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

• Besides, some of us enjoy this literary badinadge, even if it is a repetition.

Comment

• MTG what u mean an actual live southern democrat. hasn't southern democrat been the best chance for the democratic party in the presidential race for the last 30 years?

Comment

• Originally posted by Frogger
              Would you stop posting the same damn picture over and over again?

That's at least three times in the last week. Whatever humour value it had the first time is now completely gone...
              Gee, Frogger, I didn't know you cared...
              I'll stop, just for you

Comment

• Originally posted by yavoon
                MTG what u mean an actual live southern democrat. hasn't southern democrat been the best chance for the democratic party in the presidential race for the last 30 years?
                Neither Clinton nore Gore fit the ideological mold of the Southern Democrat, although they are (Gore as a token) from the south.

Southern Democrats have taken a beating for a while, with many (Don Nickles and Richard Shelby, for the two biggest) changing party affiliation. The county and state machinery for the democratic party is generally quite a bit further left than their electable candidates.

Barbara Boxer is an exception, because the Republican National Committee doesn't throw a lot of campaign money at getting rid of her, when the same amount of money can do them more good in 3-4 senate races in smaller states. She gets reelected by default, and is about the same ideological stripe as the state and local party hacks, which is why I don't get on with them very well.
                When all else fails, blame brown people. | Hire a teen, while they still know it all. | Trump-Palin 2016. "You're fired." "I quit."

Comment

• MtG, It has always been my impression that the Democrats of the South have historically been highly patriotic, lovers of freedom, and agressive in foreign affairs. They always had a problem with the Northern branch of the party which tended to be pacifist.

Am I wrong on this?

Since Goldwater, the Southern Democrats have found that they have a lot more in common with Republicans than with the Northern Democratic Party. This is why conservatives at times had a working majority in Congress even though the Democrats held both houses.

But, in recent years, Southern conservatives have joined the Republican Party. In truth, the Southern Republican party has become the old Southern Democrat party.

The remaining Southern Democrats tend either to be blacks or to be as liberal and pacifist as their Northern cousins. Withness Carter and Clinton.
                  http://tools.wikimedia.de/~gmaxwell/jorbis/JOrbisPlayer.php?path=John+Williams+The+Imperial+M arch+from+The+Empire+Strikes+Back.ogg&wiki=en

Comment

• still tho, southern democrats win presidential races. even tho clinton was different he was still from the south and still won.

I was just pointing that out.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ned
                      MtG, It has always been my impression that the Democrats of the South have historically been highly patriotic, lovers of freedom, .

Yeah, so patriotic that they split the country into civil war and then fifty years ago resurected the flag of treason. Such lovers of freedom that they had to be forced at gun point to respect the rights of a huge portion of their population.

Feh, the South under the Democratic regime resembled just about every South American one-party strongman dictatorship.
                      Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

• Originally posted by chegitz guevara

... the South under the Democratic regime resembled just about every South American one-party strongman dictatorship.
                        Yea. it took the Republican carpet baggers to straighten them out.

Comment

• Originally posted by Lincoln

Yea. it took the Republican carpet baggers to straighten them out.
                          How many Republican governments were there in the old South between the end of Reconstruction and the 1970s? Almost a hundred years, and not a one. That's a one-party state.
                          Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

Working...
                          X