Canadian Liquor Laws?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Uncle Sparky
    From what I've experienced, Ontario & Newfoundland seems to have the most puritanical liquor laws with the most liberal laws in Quebec & Alberta.
    I don't know about Ontario but I do not agree with your assessment of Newfoundland liquor laws. Beer is sold in every corner store and bars are open 7 days a week-- What restrictiions do newfoundland have that meakes you label them as most puritanical ??
    You don't get to 300 losses without being a pretty exceptional goaltender.-- Ben Kenobi speaking of Roberto Luongo

Comment

Beer is sold in every dépanneur in Quebec too. Wine as well. What time do the bars close in Newfieland?
      12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
      Stadtluft Macht Frei
      Killing it is the new killing it
      Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

What type of thing do you like?
        Something cheap, three days of skiing is going to leave Boshkovian finances in sorry shape. A bar with good beer on tap that doesn't cost all that much would be perfect, although live music is good to. Seeing Boshko clubbing is a horrific sight that your countrymen would do well without, but I'll probably be outvoted, so recommendations for that wouldn't be a bad thing.

Thanks for the recommendations, will try to convince my friends to hunt them down.

Oh, and any good Southeast Asian restaurants? Couldn't survive a week without it.

Thanks Frogger!
        Stop Quoting Ben

Comment

Not big on southeast asian food. Don't know much.

As long as you restrain yourself from ordering any "exotic" beers then most of the places have pretty similar prices. Clubs are more expensive though, as are some of the higher-end bars like Biddle's.

In general a bottle of local large-brewery beer will go for 3.50$ canadian. Pitchers are on special in different places at different time and are as usual the best bet to a cheap drunk. Mixed drinks will be upwards of 5.50$ or so, depending on the place.

Clubs. Urg...

Tokyo, Vatican and Jet are names that spring to mind. Can't really reccommend clubs because they all pretty much suck in my mind. Overpriced, overloud, oversleazy. You can expect a 10$ cover at the door for any reasonably happening place.
          Stadtluft Macht Frei
          Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Originally posted by Frogger
            Yes, the various governments in Canada are very fond of hidden 'sin' taxes on everything from alcohol and tobacco, to gasoline. Over half the cost in each case.

Sorry to tell you this, but it's the same in the US.

In NYC it now costs 8.00$US for a pack of smokes...
            Hmmm. New York. Good example of low taxes in America, I would suppose.

How about this one?

Let's see, that's about $30 for 200 cigarettes, including shipping of $4.50. The same would cost over $60 here in Alberta, the home of low taxes...
            (\__/)
            (='.'=)
            (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

as are some of the higher-end bars like Biddle's.
              Then probably no Biddle's...

Clubs. Urg...
              Exactly.
              Stop Quoting Ben

Comment

Ya gotta go to Fairmount (sp?) bakery and try the Montreal bagels. They put every other bagel to shame.
                Golfing since 67

Comment

What I want to know is why Krazy and Boshko aren't arranging where to meet. Come on, the squirrel meets the kitten. It has to be.
                  (\__/)
                  (='.'=)
                  (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

Originally posted by Boshko

Something cheap, three days of skiing is going to leave Boshkovian finances in sorry shape.
                    Are you going to ski at Tremblant ?
                    What?

Comment

Are you going to ski at Tremblant ?
                      Yup.
                      Stop Quoting Ben

Comment

Yup.
                        Then you're probably right : you won't have much $ left to party.
                        From what i've heard of the place, it is well worth the price though.

BTW : Écureuil!
                        What?

Comment

Boshko

How was your weekend?
                          Stadtluft Macht Frei
                          Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Originally posted by Asher
                            Should be a national law to force GST to be added into prices that would be affected by GST.
                            Hell, I'd just like to see all sticker prices be the taxes-in price, like in Europe or the UK. The receipt can break out the taxes for you, for those anal enough to need to look.
                            "If you doubt that an infinite number of monkeys at an infinite number of typewriters would eventually produce the combined works of Shakespeare, consider: it only took 30 billion monkeys and no typewriters." - Unknown

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle Sparky

From what I've experienced, Ontario & Newfoundland seems to have the most puritanical liquor laws with the most liberal laws in Quebec & Alberta.
                              We've loosened up quite a bit here in Ontario. Bars are now allowed to serve drinks until 2 am, liquor and beer stores are allowed to open Sundays. Both fairly recent changes.

Comment

Something cheap, three days of skiing is going to leave Boshkovian finances in sorry shape.
                                Well you better hurry, the snow is melting quickly up here.

Comment

Working...
                                X