Canadian Liquor Laws?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Canadian Liquor Laws?

With the VAT/national sales tax and any excises that may exist, is liquor significantly more expensive in Canada (Quebec specifically) than the US? And is it illegal to transport alcohol from the US to Canada?

And do any Blue Laws (laws that prevent alcohol from being sold late at night and sundays except in resaurants/bars) exist?
    Stop Quoting Ben

VAT? Canada?

I don't have any idea why you'd think liquor would be more expensive in Canada than in the US, at all.

Some provinces with higher provincial sales taxes (Alberta has 0% provincial, everyone has 7% federal) would obviously have to pay more upfront...
    "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
    Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

As for carrying alcohol across the border, I don't know.

Usually it's from Canada->US, not US->Canada.

And I'm not familiar with any Blue Laws like you mentioned, although I think they're provincial.
      "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."

Comment

With the VAT/national sales tax and any excises that may exist, is liquor significantly more expensive in Canada (Quebec specifically) than the US?

In Quebec alcohol prices include all taxes (GST, QST, liquor taxes). Those listed are in Canadian dollars. Basically divide by 1.5 to get prices in US dollars.

And is it illegal to transport alcohol from the US to Canada?

Unless you pay customs, yes. There is a personal exemption limit of 1 bottle per person, IIRC, as long as you've been more than 48 hours in the US.

And do any Blue Laws (laws that prevent alcohol from being sold late at night and sundays except in resaurants/bars) exist?

I don't know if anybody other than the provincial government has the right to sell fortified spirits in bulk. I know that it is illegal to sell alcohol of any kind after 3 a.m. in bars, and after 11 p.m. outside of bars.
        12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
        Stadtluft Macht Frei
        Killing it is the new killing it
        Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Liquor laws are a provincial jurisdiction. Our GST (goods & service tax) is the same as your VAT (Value added tax), is fixed at 7% and applies to almost all goods & services in Canada.

From what I've experienced, Ontario & Newfoundland seems to have the most puritanical liquor laws with the most liberal laws in Quebec & Alberta.
          There's nothing wrong with the dream, my friend, the problem lies with the dreamer.

Comment

In Quebec, except for beer and basic stuff, liquor selling is a monopoly of SAQ (Societe des Alcools du Quebec) a provincial organisation.
            The legal age is 18 to buy or to be in a place where they sell alcool.
            I dont know much about cost though I would assume it's rather equivalent, though I think in Ontario it's slightly cheaper dont know about US
            Past 11 pm, only bars can sell alcool, and even they have to close at 2 or 3 (I think thats a municipal law though)

Comment

Originally posted by Asher
              I don't have any idea why you'd think liquor would be more expensive in Canada than in the US, at all.
              There are specific taxes on alcohol, both federal and provincial, which make it more expensive in Canada than in the states. Or, so I've heard.
              (\__/)
              (='.'=)
              (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

Are those taxes hidden from the consumer?
                I haven't noticed anything other than GST being added...

Comment

Yes, the various governments in Canada are very fond of hidden 'sin' taxes on everything from alcohol and tobacco, to gasoline. Over half the cost in each case.
                  (\__/)
                  (='.'=)
                  (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

I know this will set off Asher on another of his Albertan gloats, but a few months ago I flew from HK to Canada and bought a bottle of Glenfiddich at the duty-free in HK for about Cdn$55. A liquour store on the landside of the Calgary airport was selling it for $50! So it is cheaper to buy booze in Calgary then it is to buy duty-free stuff in Hong Kong!
                    Golfing since 67

Comment

Originally posted by Asher
                      Are those taxes hidden from the consumer?
                      I haven't noticed anything other than GST being added...
                      In Quebec the GST is included in the price.
                      Stadtluft Macht Frei
                      Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Booze is actually pretty cheap in Canada. Probably works out similarly to US prices...
                        Stadtluft Macht Frei
                        Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

You can get 750 ml of JD for 28.00$=19.00$ US

I don't think it's much cheaper in the US...
                          Stadtluft Macht Frei
                          Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Yes, the various governments in Canada are very fond of hidden 'sin' taxes on everything from alcohol and tobacco, to gasoline. Over half the cost in each case.

Sorry to tell you this, but it's the same in the US.

In NYC it now costs 8.00$US for a pack of smokes...
                            Stadtluft Macht Frei
                            Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Originally posted by Frogger
                              In Quebec the GST is included in the price.

Should be a national law to force GST to be added into prices that would be affected by GST.

Comment

Working...
                              X