French to boycott American products ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Adam Smith :

Actually, the French I know of are more and more conscious McDonals is pure crap. Well, I admit they are about the same age as me (early 20s) and I knew them when we were kids and overjoyed to go to MacDo, so it might be the effect of age, I don't know. I'm wondering if McDonald's selling figures are lowering in France, but I don't have the answer.

Actually, even though American culture has low consideration here, it remains pretty appealing, especially for the youth than finds (found ?) it hip, or at least convenient and entertaining.
    Many friends of mine go see some Hollywood cheap entertainment in the theatres or rent some Hollywood crap on DVDs, as a reflex. Even my more antiamerican friends and myself see American pictures, even though they're not from Hollywood industry (heck I was dragged 2 times to see Bowling for Columbine, for a grand total of 3 viewings ).
    Consuming American culture is just a reflex here. People don't care about it in their choice of consumption.

About agriculture subsidies (I smell a major threadjack here, but still ) : France doesn't need them to maintain its agriculture, because there are good soils, good agricultural culture, good technology, and good everything to make French agriculture one of the most competitive in the world if the market was free.
    However, without the subsidies, many less than optimal areas would stop to be cultivated, because they wouldn't bring enough money to their owners. It will cause problems to the territory and to landscapes (I've read somewhere subsidised peasants were "gardeners of France")
    Also, these subsidies are needed to keep an old peasant tradition alive, because their end would basically mean the end of small agricultural exploitations.
    "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
    "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
    "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Comment

Originally posted by Adam Smith
      Spiffor:

If nobody is happy about it, why don't they just not go to McDonalds?
      Yup, it is really that simple.

BTW, McDonalds is now losing money in the US as people get tired of it and want something better to eat.
      I think Mickey D's bought stakes in Boston Market and also Denato's Pizza. Personally I think both of those are top chains.
      We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. - Abraham Lincoln

Comment

Spiffor: Is the level of anti-americanism consistent from the urban areas to the rural or is there a significant difference. What about the age differences. Is it just the younger people or are the older people the same way.
        Which side are we on? We're on the side of the demons, Chief. We are evil men in the gardens of paradise, sent by the forces of death to spread devastation and destruction wherever we go. I'm surprised you didn't know that. --Saul Tigh

Comment

Originally posted by Spiffor
          Edit : DanS, I stand corrected I didn't know we had a commercial exceed towards you.
          Don't feel so special. Everybody in the world does...
          12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
          Stadtluft Macht Frei
          Killing it is the new killing it
          Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Kids like McDonalds. I think McDonalds becomes less popular as populations age.
            "When you ride alone, you ride with Bin Ladin"-Bill Maher
            "All capital is dripping with blood."-Karl Marx
            "Of course, my response to your Marx quote is 'So?'"-Imran Siddiqui

Comment

McDonald's is sh*t. I hated it as a kid and I hate it now...
              Stadtluft Macht Frei
              Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

The worst **** they had there was that cheap-ass orange McDonalds swill-water. I ordered an "orange soda" there once, ignorantly, and they gave me that stuff instead of telling me they didn't have any orange soda. Soda is carbonated. CARBONATED!
                Stadtluft Macht Frei
                Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Not even Americans like our cheap crap, but sometimes its all we can afford.
                  "When you ride alone, you ride with Bin Ladin"-Bill Maher
                  "All capital is dripping with blood."-Karl Marx
                  "Of course, my response to your Marx quote is 'So?'"-Imran Siddiqui

Comment

I'd say Jack in the Box is the absolute worst, I mean not one, but TWO levels below Mickey Dees.
                    We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. - Abraham Lincoln

Comment

white castle is worse than jack in the box. and the name in-and-out burger really isn't... well... appealing.
                      B♭3

Comment

I also hated McDonald's when I was young, because I started boycotting America by the end of elementary school Sadly, I became more lax as age went by, and I know accept to buy some American products, or to go see some American movies. Fortunately, I keep my record of not drinking coke or similar, and of not going to McDonald's or similar.

I really hate American cultural imperialism. Especially in regard of the crap that colonizes us. The Yanks aren't stupid, they keep their good stuff to themselves
                        "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
                        "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
                        "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Comment

Sometimes I just gotta go to McD's for a sack of cheeseburgers and fries. Ah, memories.
                          No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

Originally posted by monkspider
                            Vive La France!
                            Why are cheering on a boycott of your own country!? Do you want them to stop buying our goods to hurt our economy and potentialy cost your countrymen jobs? If you feel that strong a hate for your own country you really should leave, after all where you are you have to buy plenty of american goods and pay taxes to the US government.
                            "I'm moving to the Left" - Lancer

"I imagine the neighbors on your right are estatic." - Slowwhand

Comment

Hmmm, let's see. Personally, I am almost independent from products of both sides, aside from occasional visits at Mickey D's and SubStop, which I could easily cease due to sufficient available alternatives. My wife, OTOH, loves French products. She mainly drinks French mineral waters, eats French cheese, French bagels (frozen), baguettes (well, the latter are made in Germany though) etc.

Ironically, when I visited Paris for a while in the 90's, I mainly ate at McDonalds, not because it's better than French food, but because I wasn't willing to pay French astronomical prices . After I paid the equivalent of 140 DM (that was about $90 at the time) for a spartanic lunch for 3 (wife, me, 13 year old son) in something I would call a bistro rather than a restaurant, I was cured of French licensed houses.

Overall, product boycotts at consumer level are silly.

Comment

Originally posted by Spiffor
                                I also hated McDonald's when I was young, because I started boycotting America by the end of elementary school Sadly, I became more lax as age went by, and I know accept to buy some American products, or to go see some American movies. Fortunately, I keep my record of not drinking coke or similar, and of not going to McDonald's or similar.

I really hate American cultural imperialism. Especially in regard of the crap that colonizes us. The Yanks aren't stupid, they keep their good stuff to themselves
                                By the end of elementary school???

Was this limited to you, or was it common among elementary school grads? BTW, just to avoid confusion, American elementary school stops around age ten.
                                No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

Working...
                                X