Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Should a convicted killer get a liver transplant?- and other organ donation issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Should a convicted killer get a liver transplant?- and other organ donation issues

the poll will focus on the convicted killer.

There is another issue bothering conservatives as well. The fact that someone can illegally enter this country and jump to the top of an organ donation list just because they are an illegal alien. I'm not sure if this is the case. I have no idea how that girl jumped in line for the organ donation list.

And what about celebrities? How do they jump to the top of organ donation lists?

The whole system is corrupt if you ask me. There has to be some major money changing hands somewhere.
    yes
    54.84%
    no
    35.48%
    she should get a banana inserted into where her liver should be
    9.68%

In my opinion, organ-transplant patients should be prioritized according to state of health, age, and family status like this:

1. People who are likely to die within weeks if they don't get a transplant should be first in line whenever an organ becomes available, then...

2. Children and young adults age 21 and under.

3. Parents with children under the age of 18.

4. Parents with children over 18.

5. Everybody else.

According to these criteria, the murderer would be in category 4. And where medical decisions are concerned, her status as a convict should be immaterial.
    ACOL owner/administrator

Comment

Granted there may be more deserving people who need transplants given this woman's age (68), but why the hell should her status as a convict prevent her from getting a liver transplant? Prison shouldn't be about punishment or causing people to suffer, but rehabilitation and protecting society (including inmates). The state can't rehabilitate or protect her if she dies from some liver condition.
      "Beware of the man who works hard to learn something, learns it, and finds himself no wiser than before. He is full of murderous resentment of people who are ignorant without having come by their ignorance the hard way. "
      -Bokonon

Comment

I'm with AnnC and Ramo.
        Civilization II: maps, guides, links, scenarios, patches and utilities (+ Civ2Tech and CivEngineer)

Comment

Originally posted by AnnC
          In my opinion, organ-transplant patients should be prioritized according to...family status
          Seems slightly discriminatory against homosexuals, the infertile and those who simply choose not to have children...
          "Love the earth and sun and animals, despise riches, give alms to every one that asks, stand up for the stupid and crazy, devote your income and labor to others, hate tyrants, argue not concerning God, have patience and indulgence toward the people, take off your hat to nothing known or unknown . . . reexamine all you have been told at school or church or in any book, dismiss whatever insults your own soul, and your very flesh shall be a great poem and have the richest fluency" - Walt Whitman

Comment

Originally posted by Clear Skies

Seems slightly discriminatory against homosexuals, the infertile and those who simply choose not to have children...
            not OK, not OK, OK

why don't we just support more adoption (and homosexuals adopting)?

Jon Miller
            Jon Miller-
            I AM.CANADIAN
            GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

I say we help law-abiding citizens first. Don't do the crime if you can't do the time. And last time I checked, dying from a failing liver is a natural cause. I guess my final answer would depend on the length of her sentence. In my America, killers would get the death penalty anyways. This way, the prison system doesn't have to waste the drugs with lethal injection.
              To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Not just no, but Hell no.
                You who voted "Yes", are in need of drug testing.
                Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
                "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
                He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Are Doctors allowed to make such distinctions, don't they have to go soley on clinical need
                  Space is big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind- bogglingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the road to the chemist's, but that's just peanuts to space.
                  Douglas Adams (Influential author)

Comment

i concur with sloww.

Taxpayers would pay up to $200,000 for Joy's transplant because of a 1976 U.S. Supreme Court ruling that prisoners have a constitutional right to equal medical care. The decision requires government entities to cover the medical costs of their inmates.

thats less than a dollar each! my dallah!

on an unrelated note:
                    Uber KruX (6:07:00 PM): find god in pr0n.
                    feeling results (6:07:05 PM): i found god
                    Uber KruX (6:07:09 PM): in pr0n?
                    feeling results (6:07:14 PM): in money
                    feeling results (6:07:15 PM): lol
                    feeling results (6:07:19 PM): the almighty DALLAH
                    Uber KruX (6:07:21 PM): you found the wrong god.
                    Uber KruX (6:07:22 PM): lol
                    Uber KruX (6:07:35 PM): dallah akbar
                    feeling results (6:07:38 PM): haha
                    "I've lived too long with pain. I won't know who I am without it. We have to leave this place, I am almost happy here."
                    - Ender, from Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card

Comment

I thought the US is civilised enough to give people a second chance?
                      (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
                      (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
                      (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

Not just no, but Hell no.
                        what if he gets a headache or severe diarreha? shouldn't he get treatment for that either?
                        CSPA

Comment

Originally posted by Gangerolf

what if he gets a headache or severe diarreha? shouldn't he get treatment for that either?
                          i dont see how they could blow $200,000 on an asprin or some immodium ad, and i dont see how that would be possibly denying someone else asprin.
                          "I've lived too long with pain. I won't know who I am without it. We have to leave this place, I am almost happy here."
                          - Ender, from Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card

Comment

I just got the impression he would deny her a new liver because she's a convict. Now that would be silly.
                            CSPA

Comment

Unless the judge said something else the a person is sentenced to prison, not getting his or her health ignored. Then again there's the matter of the order on the list that could be debated.

Comment

Working...
                              X