Go, Canada!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Frogger

Zylka, the US has no real leverage over us. Playing nice gets us sh*t all in trade concessions, as we've seen over the last 5 years, and playing the ball how we see it won't hurt us.
    Ok I agree, especially in that that's the end we discuss

...but I'm starting to really wonder, can't we just do what's morally "right" in a situation like this?

Comment

Originally posted by Felch X
      If Chretien keeps saying stuff like this, he might be next.

How about it, canucks? Feel like being liberated from French occupation?
      You make his point, eh.

Nice thing about this Iraq mess is the masks are torn
      and we all get to see our friends and enemies TRUE
      colours.

Seems some of our former "friends" have no problem
      with the idea of conquest and conversion by the sword
      while paying lip service to freedom for all men.

Comment

Originally posted by Zylka
        ...but I'm starting to really wonder, can't we just do what's morally "right" in a situation like this?
        This seems to be exactly what your Prime Minister is trying.
        Now, if I ask myself: Who profits from a War against Iraq?, the answer is: Israel. -Prof. Rudolf Burger, Austrian Academy of Arts

Free Slobo, lock up George, learn from Kim-Jong-Il.

Comment

Originally posted by Ozz
          Nice thing about this Iraq mess is the masks are torn
          and we all get to see our friends and enemies TRUE
          colours.

Agreed; absolutely!

"CANADA! CANADA! CANADA!"
          Now, if I ask myself: Who profits from a War against Iraq?, the answer is: Israel. -Prof. Rudolf Burger, Austrian Academy of Arts

Free Slobo, lock up George, learn from Kim-Jong-Il.

Comment

Originally posted by Ozz
            That has been the US foreign policy, from Korean War on.
            (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
            (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
            (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

This is kinda silly. Canada is sending another frigate to replace the one that had the accident.

Canada is NOT sending ground troops, as the 2000 they are sending to Afghan exhausts their ability to project force. Which is fine with me, Im sure they'll do a good job in Afgan.

Canada's position at the UN has not aligned completely with the US, but not with France either. It doesnt surprise me much, given Canada's strat position and the makeup of the current govt.

Of course the distinction between regime change and disarmament is silly, given that Chretien seems to accept the notion of disarmament by force. Once a couple of hundred thousand coalition start marching around IRaq to disarm it, theres no way a regime based completely on force can survive.

List - there is no list of course. For several reasons -
              1. Iraq is legally unique - no other country has the same legal obligation to disarm that Iraq does, for reasons going back to the end of Gulf War 1.
              2. We do have issues with countires that support terrorism, but since at this point we have made no publci ultimatums on this issue (other than to the Taliban) it is yet to be seen how alleged terrorist supporters will respond, or how the world will view US claims of terror support.
              3. IF Iraq goes well, we will have sources of leverage in the region that will make force less important OTOH if things go badly, the whole policy will be dead in the water.
              "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

Of course the distinction between regime change and disarmament is silly, given that Chretien seems to accept the notion of disarmament by force

Does he? I wish somebody could tell me.
                12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
                Stadtluft Macht Frei
                Killing it is the new killing it
                Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

IIUC the current Canadian suggestion at the UN would give the US and UK more explicit sanction for force than IN UK/US/Spain proposal. in exchange for delay to March 28.
                  "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

I haven't seen the text. Unfortunately, a quick search also didn't get one for me. Just got a bunch of commentary on it (not particularly helpful). You have a primary source?
                    12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
                    Stadtluft Macht Frei
                    Killing it is the new killing it
                    Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

nah, i dont think its been made public.

Comment

Working...
                      X