Go, Canada!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Go, Canada!

Toronto (Toronto Star) - The United States is heading down a dangerous road that leads away from the United Nations by demanding that Iraq change its president, Prime Minister Jean Chrétien said today.

The concept of "regime change," as stated by the White House, is a dangerous one that doesn't fit with United Nations resolution 1441, Chrétien said as he wrapped up a state visit to Mexico.

And he wondered who would be next on the U.S. list of unpopular leaders and where it would all stop.

"If it is a changing of regime, it's not what is 1441," Chrétien said following reports that Washington wants not only disarmament, but also a new president in Iraq.

"And if you start changing regimes, where do you stop?," a charged-up Chrétien asked during a news conference.

"This is the problem, who is next? Give me the list, the priority list."

The idea of removing Iraqi President Saddam Hussein from office is not part of UN resolution 1441, which requires Iraq to eliminate any biological, chemical and nuclear weapons in its possession.

Chrétien said the disarmament of Iraq is the key issue.

"The official policy is the disarmament of Saddam Hussein," the prime minister said in French.

"I'm surprised to hear now we want to get rid of Saddam Hussein; it's a change of regime. And as far as I am concerned, I believe these are very severe consequences because of change of regime."

Chrétien's strong statement came in response to a question about remarks made in Washington earlier today by White House spokesman Ari Fleischer.

Asked by a reporter whether U.S. President George W. Bush wants both the disarmament of Iraq and exile for Saddam, Fleischer replied ``it's disarmament and regime change."

The U.S. administration has stated since last year that it wants to see a new leader in Baghdad.

But calls for regime change were toned down after Washington decided last fall to seek UN approval before taking military action against Iraq.

"I'm OK, I only have 11 months to go," Chrétien said, referring to his plans to step down. "But how about somebody else? So this is a very dangerous concept."
    Now, if I ask myself: Who profits from a War against Iraq?, the answer is: Israel. -Prof. Rudolf Burger, Austrian Academy of Arts

Free Slobo, lock up George, learn from Kim-Jong-Il.

I've got you on ignore, but I'm guessing that this is about Chrétien's speech in Mexico.
    12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
    Stadtluft Macht Frei
    Killing it is the new killing it
    Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Originally posted by Frogger
      I've got you on ignore, but I'm guessing that this is about Chrétien's speech in Mexico.
      You probably won´t make it to my Buddy list, either, but I guess you guess rightly.
      Now, if I ask myself: Who profits from a War against Iraq?, the answer is: Israel. -Prof. Rudolf Burger, Austrian Academy of Arts

Comment

You guys do a good Bush/Chretien imitation.

Comment

Cute.
          (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
          (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
          (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

You know I wonder where this fad LOOK AT US WE ARE CANADA WE DON'T DO ANYTHING USA WANTS NOW attitude is going to get us. Honestly... if we keep it up for another decade, even a country like N Korea could assemble a little flotilla to cross the pacific and murder us. We expect our brothers to help, but at that point - should they?

Comment

Originally posted by Zylka
              Honestly... if we keep it up for another decade, even a country like N Korea could assemble a little flotilla to cross the pacific and murder us.
              I´d say this risk is relatively miniscule.

Aren´t you proud your Prime Minister is scoring one for the Honour of your Country, and Decency in general? I would.

Comment

When we didn't heed America's call to arms to help the poor South Viet-namese, the US admin grumbled & farted a bit. Then they pulled out themselves.

When we kept trading with Cuba, the US tried, a couple of times to undermine our policies. This one hasn't changed much.

Canada acts as a conscience when the American Govmt does its Paper Tiger routine.
                There's nothing wrong with the dream, my friend, the problem lies with the dreamer.

Comment

Originally posted by Comrade Tribune
                  Aren´t you proud your Prime Minister is scoring one for the Honour of your Country, and Decency in general? I would.
                  The man's a baffoon, he's only saying what the voices in his head are telling him to say on a certain day.

Look up other quotes that make just as much sense as the above, like his quote about what constitutes proof.

If people resort to quoting Chretien to prove something, you know their argument holds no water.
                  "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
                  Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Originally posted by Asher
                    Look up other quotes that make just as much sense as the above, like his quote about what constitutes proof.
                    I must admit I don´t know much about Canadian politics (except that they are more sane than US politics, but that, in itself, doesn´t say a lot ).

His quote that someone proposing to change the regime of someone else by force is dangerous strikes me as completely reasonable, however.

Comment

Originally posted by Asher

If people resort to quoting Chretien to prove something, you know their argument holds no water.
                      Funny you should say that, as a newest thread of like description was in the works!

Comment

Originally posted by Zylka
                        You know I wonder where this fad LOOK AT US WE ARE CANADA WE DON'T DO ANYTHING USA WANTS NOW attitude is going to get us. Honestly... if we keep it up for another decade, even a country like N Korea could assemble a little flotilla to cross the pacific and murder us. We expect our brothers to help, but at that point - should they?
                        Zylka, the US has no real leverage over us. Playing nice gets us sh*t all in trade concessions, as we've seen over the last 5 years, and playing the ball how we see it won't hurt us.
                        Stadtluft Macht Frei
                        Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Uncle Sparky's on the ball. Vietnam was horrible for relations with the US...but in the end, it hurt the US more than us for us to say no. And we got to stay out of that SE Asian hellhole.
                          Stadtluft Macht Frei
                          Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Sparky:

I disagree with alot of Chretien's policies, and I think he's a bit of a loon, but he is right on the ball here.

Now why can't he apply his little bit of common sense to domesic matters, like, say, the gun registry?
                            "I wrote a song about dental floss but did anyone's teeth get cleaner?" -Frank Zappa
                            "A thing moderately good is not so good as it ought to be. Moderation in temper is always a virtue, but moderation in principle is always a vice."- Thomas Paine
                            "I'll let you be in my dream if I can be in yours." -Bob Dylan

Comment

If Chretien keeps saying stuff like this, he might be next.

How about it, canucks? Feel like being liberated from French occupation?
                              John Brown did nothing wrong.

Comment

Working...
                              X