Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cultural Disconnect?: Dealing with my Korean boss.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Odd. How come?
    (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
    (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
    (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

i dunno. perhaps it has a bit to do with "you know how i do business, but these white people don't. to them, the customer is always right, while for us, it's not the case."
      B♭3

Comment

Originally posted by Seeker
        It's culture.

In Korea, the 'Wang ja Neem' (big boss dude) is supposed to be like a stricter version of your father, that's the boss-servant relationship.

That means you NEVER contradict them. EVER. Especially if it is blatantly obvious that something is their fault, or caused by the bosses' incompetance or lack of knowledge. At such times it is your responsibility as an employee to take or try to take the blame on yourself.

Never directly criticize the boss, they will take it as a personal insult.
        Is this why Korean cars suck?
        Nobody's bothered to tell them that?
        "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
        Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

actually, korean cars have made enormous gains in reliability in the past five years.

why? because people did tell them that.

samsung has transformed itself from a cheap electronics brand to an innovator.

why? becaues people did tell them that.

you'll find that these days, the most successful korean companies are the ones that are getting rid of the confucian tradition that hindered them before. hyundai/kia have hired many americans and korean-americans to help run their operations and also design new automobiles; non-koreans and non-americans too. samsung hired an american-born, american-raised korean who didn't give a damn about the tradition to help lead its electronics division.

indeed, you won't find any other 10year/100k mile warranty anywhere else in the industry.

that said, i still probably would buy a honda or toyota.

i love samsung, though. making the first digital camcorder with a built-in hd? sweet.

as for samsung... its turnaround occured after it realized that its tradition-bound structure would eventually cause its ruin, and began to westernize.

behind hyundai
          behind samsung
          B♭3

Comment

Samsung's really turned themselves around recently, they make the best RAM out there.

Hyundai still makes crap RAM, and their cars are fugly.
            "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
            Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

hyundai doesn't make ram anymore. it's hynix. granted, hynix came from hyundai, but it's no longer part of it. come to think of it, micron wanted to buy hynix, but it failed.

hynix is still on life support, to boot.

as for their cars, they're a lot better than they used to be. seems that eminem himself decided to buy a tiburon, but i don't know if you really want to use him as a barometer.
              B♭3

Comment

Originally posted by Q Cubed
                actually, korean cars have made enormous gains in reliability in the past five years.

why? because people did tell them that.

samsung has transformed itself from a cheap electronics brand to an innovator.

why? becaues people did tell them that.
                One word: quality. That's how the Japanese knocked over the US carmakers.
                (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan

Comment

Oh, they're doing a big push to 'Westernize' the jaebol nowadays...

I've heard that some companies only hire workers with Western degrees...
                  "Wait a minute..this isn''t FAUX dive, it's just a DIVE!"
                  "...Mangy dog staggering about, looking vainly for a place to die."
                  "sauna stories? There are no 'sauna stories'.. I mean.. sauna is sauna. You do by the laws of sauna." -P.

Comment

I believe Eminem bought a Sonata, actually, for his brother...what a cheapskate. The Tiburon has really sloppy transmission, but the Elantra GT is actually a very sharp car. And the fully loaded Sonata looks a lot like a Jaguar, believe it or not.
                    Once they get the fit and finish in the interior shaped up and come out with something like a Golf or a Pro5, they rule.
                    Life and death is a grave matter;
                    all things pass quickly away.
                    Each of you must be completely alert;
                    never neglectful, never indulgent.

Comment

Wrong thread old boy

Comment

When I was in Korea I kind of liked Ssangyong's various sedans. They were nothing more then last generation Mercedes-Benzes with a different badge but all of the drive train (engine, transmition, and what not) was made by Mercedes in Germany and shipped to Korea. Best of all the Ssangyong's sold for less then half the price of the Mercedes; mostly because Korea tarrifs the hell out of foreign cars but it was still a cheap "almost Mercedes".
                        Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Find another job. Culture is just a big cop out for office tyrants.
                          Any views I may express here are personal and certainly do not in any way reflect the views of my employer. Tis the rising of the moon..

Look, I just don't anymore, okay?

Comment

In Korea you can see a lot of makes I've never seen before, Samsungs, Daewoos, Ssanyongs, Matiz, etc.
                            "Wait a minute..this isn''t FAUX dive, it's just a DIVE!"
                            "...Mangy dog staggering about, looking vainly for a place to die."
                            "sauna stories? There are no 'sauna stories'.. I mean.. sauna is sauna. You do by the laws of sauna." -P.

Comment

Originally posted by Alexander's Horse
                              Find another job. Culture is just a big cop out for office tyrants.
                              Sheesh, Horse, how come your foot is in your mouth?

Comment

Well, having held various positions in different types of organizations, from huge corporate down to small family run, I can now say that the faceless anonymity of corporate work, couple with good benefits, beats the crap out of this gig.
                                Life and death is a grave matter;
                                all things pass quickly away.
                                Each of you must be completely alert;
                                never neglectful, never indulgent.

Comment

Working...
                                X