Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Under what circumstances (no pun intended) is circumcision acceptable?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Under what circumstances (no pun intended) is circumcision acceptable?

So as not to completely thread-jack the Death Penalty/Abortion poll, here's a new one:

When is circumcision acceptable?
    Every male and female should be circumcised. Period.
    2.38%
    Male or female circumcision should be allowed where culturally acceptable.
    7.14%
    Only male circumcision should be allowed where culturally acceptable. Female circumcision is wrong.
    30.95%
    Only female circumcision should be allowed where culturally acceptable. Male circumcision is wrong.
    0.00%
    Circumcision of newborns is unwarranted mutilation of the genitals.
    52.38%
    Bananas should be circumcised prior to consuming them.
    7.14%
    "Stuie has the right idea" - Japher
    "I trust Stuie and all involved." - SlowwHand
    "Stuie is right...." - Guynemer

And for the record, I feel that circumcision of newborns is unwarranted mutilation of the genitals. None of my sons has been circumcized; if that is a choice they make later in life so be it. I feel that my parents made a completely uninformed decision when they had my foreskin lopped off.

Comment

Originally posted by Stuie
      And for the record, I feel that circumcision of newborns is unwarranted mutilation of the genitals. None of my sons has been circumcized; if that is a choice they make later in life so be it. I feel that my parents made a completely uninformed decision when they had my foreskin lopped off.
      I have friend who was born in Russia. He was not circumcised as an infant, as the state did not allow it (IIUC). When he moved to the free world he chose to become circumcized in accordance with his religion. I beleive he would have much prefered to have been circumcised as an infant.
      "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

This subject started a very raging and venomous debate about a year ago that got many people banned for long periods of time. Be warned.

I think male circumcision may be medically necessary on rare occasions (Louis XIV, if I recall correctly, had it done as an adult because sex was somehow very painful for him). So that's another consideration. I have no idea about female circumcision ever being necessary.

Overall, I think male circumcision is unneccessary and would prefer it weren't practiced. But I understand the cultural importance, and wouldn't prohibit Jews and Christians from doing it.

I think the objections that it is "mutilation" and somehow permanently ruins the penis is overexaggeration. It certainly hasn't done me any harm!
        Tutto nel mondo è burla

Comment

I would leave it as a personal preference for adults, unless medical conditions dictate otherwise.
          (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
          (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
          (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

There's a world of difference, literally, between circumcision on a male, and mutilation of a female.
            Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
            "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
            He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Originally posted by SlowwHand
              There's a world of difference, literally, between circumcision on a male, and mutilation of a female.
              Care to elaborate on the difference?

@Boris: Thanks for the warning. Let us all proceed with caution in this debate.

Comment

Ha ha! I'd cut them off indiscriminantly and make a wallet out of them.
                Life and death is a grave matter;
                all things pass quickly away.
                Each of you must be completely alert;
                never neglectful, never indulgent.

Comment

Well Stuie, to be blunt; a man can still ejaculate when circumcized, a woman who has been carved up, can't.
                  Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.

Comment

Uncut shlongos are weird... 'Nuff said...

Female circumcision? WTF is that?
                    To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Originally posted by Sava
                      Uncut shlongos are weird... 'Nuff said...

Female circumcision? WTF is that?
                      It is removal of the clitoris IIRC.
                      http://monkspider.blogspot.com/

Comment

I dunno, I'd have to see pics to compare the effects of female circumcision.
                        To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

oh great, another circumcisn thread

you guys made me feel like I'm missing out by being cut. I feel bad now

It was easier going through life and not knowing what I'm missing.

Comment

Mutilation, not circumcision.

Comment

in any case male circumsision causes less sensitivity in males and tramautic experiences makes babies grow up to be more sensitive to pain. That is proven.

But circumsision parts also can be grown into new skin for burn victims. So you will be helping other people.

Comment

Working...
                              X