Global Politics Quiz

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Global Politics Quiz

Hello everyone. I don't drop into OT too often, so if this quiz was previously posted I apoligize

Answers will be posted in a day or 2. You will get 5 points for every correct answer.

Global Politics Quiz

1. Which country has dropped bombs on over 20 different countries since 1945?

2. Which is the only country to have used nuclear weapons to takes the lives of thousands of civilian women and children?

3. Which country was responsible for a car bomb which killed 80 civilians in Beirut in 1985 in a botched assassination attempt, thereby making it the most lethal terrorist bombing in modern Middle East history?

4. Which country's illegal bombing of Libya in 1986 was desribed by the UN Legal Committee as a "classic case" of terrorism?

5. Which country rejected the order of the International Court of Justice (ICJ) to terminate its "unlawful use of force" against Nicaragua in 1986, and then vetoed a UN Security Council resolution calling on all states to observe international law?

6. Which country was accused by a UN-sponsored truth commission of providing "direct and indirect support" for "acts of genocide" against Mayan Indians in Guatemala during the 1980s?

7. Which country unilaterally withdrew from the Anti-Ballistic Missle (ABM) Treaty in December 2001?

8. Which country renounced the efforts to negotiate a verification process for the Biological Weapons Convention and brought an international conference on the matter to a halt in July 2001?

9. Which country prevented the United Nations from curbing the gun trade at a small arms conference in July 2001?

10. Which two countries have refused to ratify the UN Convention on the Rights of the Child?

11. Which is the only Western Country which allows the death penality to be applied to children?

12. Which was the only G7 country to have refused to sign the 1997 Mine Ban Treaty, forbidding the use of landmines?

13. Which was the only G7 country to have voted against the creation of the International Criminal Court (ICC) in 1998?

14. Which two countries opposed a 1987 General Assembly resolution condemning international terrorism?

15. Which country refuses to fully pay its debts to the United Nations yet reserves its right to veto United Nations resolutions?

Good Luck !
    There's nothing wrong with the dream, my friend, the problem lies with the dreamer.

Hey, isn't that avatar from the Church of the Sub-Genius?
    <p style="font-size:1024px">HTML is disabled in signatures </p>

Comment

Those f*****g Norwegians!

You know, someone should really sort them out.

Only feebs vote.

Comment

The answer was "Norway?" I answered "Canada" to all fifteen questions. Damn, I guess I didn't score very well...
        <p style="font-size:1024px">HTML is disabled in signatures </p>

Comment

I see a pattern occuring
          Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing?
          Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

Originally posted by loinburger
            The answer was "Norway?" I answered "Canada" to all fifteen questions. Damn, I guess I didn't score very well...

If anybody else was the military hegemon of the whole world you'd act like Canada does. Don't get so high and mighty.
            12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
            Stadtluft Macht Frei
            Killing it is the new killing it
            Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Church of the Sub-Genius

Slacking is a religion for some of us.

If more people in the world were slackers... well... you know...

(btw - My support for the US military adventurism can be bought. I was thinking of starting negotiations @ $30K US. You'll find I'm much more reasonably priced then other allies ! )
              Last edited by Uncle Sparky; February 28, 2003, 00:28.
              There's nothing wrong with the dream, my friend, the problem lies with the dreamer.

Comment

The only one I have a problem with is #3, and given the tone of the quiz, I'd have to see proof. Do you have it?

Correction, 5 & 6 too.
                Last edited by Berzerker; February 28, 2003, 00:27.

Comment

It's gotta be San Marino!!!

Those bastards.
                  We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. - Abraham Lincoln

Comment

Re: Church of the Sub-Genius

Originally posted by Uncle Sparky
                    Slacking is a religion for some of us.

If more people in the world were slackers... well... you know...

(btw - My support for the US military adventurism can be bought. I was thinking of starting negotiations @ $30K US. You'll find I'm much more reasonably priced then other allies ! )
                    If you cut the same deal Turkey has then you can get 650 000$US for letting a US serviceman stay at your house for a few weeks...
                    Stadtluft Macht Frei
                    Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Originally posted by Berzerker
                      The only one I have a problem with is #3, and given the tone of the quiz, I'd have to see proof. Do you have it?

Correction, 5 & 6 too.
                      I know 5 happened. The US owes Nicaragua a couple billion dollars...
                      Stadtluft Macht Frei
                      Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

USA! USA! USA! USA! USA!

YEEEEEEHAAAAAAAAAWWWW!!!
                        "I'm moving to the Left" - Lancer

"I imagine the neighbors on your right are estatic." - Slowwhand

Comment

Questions #10 & #14 require the names of two countries, so you only earn 1/2 points if you name one correctly.

Comment

I know 10.

For 14 I have to guess...
                            Stadtluft Macht Frei
                            Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

The main objection in #12 was specific to the necessity of maintaining minefields in depth immediately behind the Korean DMZ (in clearly delineated areas unpopulated by civilians) for area denial of invasion routes by DPRK forces.

Given the current saber rattling and irrationality of the Dear Leader, I'm rather glad those mines are still there.

There were two main flaws in that treaty:

An unconditional ban, rather than one which banned most illegally (by the rules of land warfare) destructive applications (like the Soviet seeding of river banks in rural Afghanistan with helo-dropped non-lethal (maiming by types B and D wounds) APM's designed to look like typical water washed river stones) while allowing strictly limited types of clearly marked defensive deployments.

The other problem was adequately addressing the issue of mine detection and removal assistance in the 40 or so countries with significant landmine problems, even going back to WW2 or earlier.

Just because the US refuses to do something, doesn't mean it's wrong by definition. At least all the time.
                              When all else fails, blame brown people. | Hire a teen, while they still know it all. | Trump-Palin 2016. "You're fired." "I quit."

Comment

Working...
                              X