Ethical Dilema

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ethical Dilema

So I've been offered the opportunity to send a proposal in to work in a website. I can easily do the work, and it pays about $1000US. Bascially a slam dunk kinda job if I can get it.

The thing is, do I want to? It's a site for a practitioner of "healing touch." Healing touch is bunk, New Agey mumbo jumbo that has flunked all the double-blind tests (AFAIK). Some people belive this crap and others are probably knowingly fraudulent. Do I want to help this person committ a fraud, even if it's a legal one? I feel uncomfortable about this.

Possible rationalizations:
    1. I need the money.
    2. If I don't do it, someone else will.
    3. I'd do work for a church or commonly accepted religion even though I know religion is bunk. This is an accepted practice in Asia. Is this really that different?
    4. Other people have helped me out. Don't I owe it to them to do what I can to get myself back on my feet?
    Take the money and run.
    88.46%
    It sounds fishy. Stick to your principles.
    7.69%
    Apply for a banana.
    3.85%
    Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

I can understand the dilemma, on one hand you are knowingly fraudulent, and on the other hand fools and their money are easily parted. Remember, come the revolution, it will all be redistributed anyway I'd respect you if you didn't do it, I'd understand if you did...
    Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

Possible rationalizations:
      1. I need the money.
      If you need it, you need it, but what will you stop at to get it?

2. If I don't do it, someone else will.
      but what kind of person?

3. I'd do work for a church or commonly accepted religion even though I know religion is bunk. This is an accepted practice in Asia. Is this really that different?
      True. Seems to be exactly the same to me.

4. Other people have helped me out. Don't I owe it to them to do what I can to get myself back on my feet?
      You don't owe anything to anyone. If they helped you they did it out of the goodness of their heart, they didn't violate any ethical boundaries to do so. Thus, you shouldn't feel required to do so because of them.

My personal thoughts on the matter:

Working on website doesn't really help them commit the fraud. You are not responsible for what they do, and you are not accountable for what they may claim on the web page. Your job, if you chose to except it, is to write a web page for a client, nothing else. I could understand if the web site advocated violence or harm, yet if they don't have a web page would their buisness really hurt a whole lot? I would do it, not because of a moral position, but because it is my job to. I would even do a web page for the KKK, even if my philosophy got in the way, because it is my job, and chosen profession.

I do, however, feel that if my job asked me to directly impose harm on another I could not. Yet, if I was in such a field I would think about a career change.
      Monkey!!!

Comment

As-a-matter-of-pragmatism-i-say-do-it.-at-leat-it-is-ot-capitalism.com.
        http://monkspider.blogspot.com/

Comment

In the words of Dan Fielding, "I don't have principles. I can't afford them."
          Once you start down the dark path, forever will it dominate your destiny, consume you it will, as it did Obi Wan's apprentice.

Comment

Chegitz,

Take the money and run. If you'll only do websites for dudes whose policies and products you support, you'll end up a poor man. Doctors don't consider the moral code of the patients they treat, or they would be downright unprofessional.

Comment

Re: Ethical Dilema

I'd say, go for it. It's not you, who tells people that kind of junk. Especially as you'd do it for any "commonly accepted" religion, then do it, I can't sense any difference. Hey, the catholic church will tell you that holy people can really do wonders, including healing hands
              You need the money. Get in the position so you can choose NOT to work for such guys if you feel like it, but at first you have to get out of the financial mud. Absolutely acting according to ones ethic requires being financially secure, although some of us would see being financially secure to be immoral. Uh, I better stop it.
              Do it (or someone else will)!

Come on, those people aren't really tricked. They need to believe in stuff like that, they're demanding such gurus. I hope, it's not like that person adivises people absolutely not to go to the doctor, but rather ONLY to him. In that case, don't do it, of course.
              "The world is too small in Vorarlberg". Austrian ex-vice-chancellor Hubert Gorbach in a letter to Alistar [sic] Darling, looking for a job...
              "Let me break this down for you, fresh from algebra II. A 95% chance to win 5 times means a (95*5) chance to win = 475% chance to win." Wiglaf, Court jester or hayseed, you judge.

Comment

If the product is legal, you should procede. It is up to the consumer to do their research before buying the product.
                "I am sick and tired of people who say that if you debate and you disagree with this administration somehow you're not patriotic. We should stand up and say we are Americans and we have a right to debate and disagree with any administration." - Hillary Clinton, 2003

Comment

I say stick to your principles. That's generally a good thing to do regardless of the situation.
                  Rethink Refuse Reduce Reuse

Do It Ourselves

Comment

yes

stivk with your princimples

but I am not sure why oyurprinciples are n a bind on this

it is just marketing, and while it is marketing a questionalbe product, so are most produccts

Jon Miller
                    Jon Miller-
                    I AM.CANADIAN
                    GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

Just dont add any subliminal messages
                      We need seperate human-only games for MP/PBEM that dont include the over-simplifications required to have a good AI
                      If any man be thirsty, let him come unto me and drink. Vampire 7:37
                      Just one old soldiers opinion. E Tenebris Lux. Pax quaeritur bello.

Comment

I guess if it would depend on the what the site said

like if it said millions swear by it, I would have no problem

fi I was suppose to put that the surgeon general reccomends it, than I woul dhave a problem

Jon Miller
                        Jon Miller-
                        I AM.CANADIAN
                        GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

You need money. Ideals aren't worth starving over.
                          “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
                          "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

Take the money.
                            “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                            - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

You should do the work, and do the best job you can.

At the very least you can put the site on your resume as an example of your willingness to design sites for all people and practices, even those you don't necessarily "believe" in.

I don't believe in ESP or all that pseudo-crap either, but if some goof-assed Pyramidologist was willing to pay me $1,000 to throw a website together explaining his theory that the Pyramids were built by greys, well, I'd do it.

Comment

Working...
                              X