X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I use a Glock 17 with 17 rounds of hydro-shok hollowpoints

Comment

duct tape was not that stupid.

I used to work in radiological controls in the navy while working in the nuclear power plant.

Guess what we used to seal up our glove bags or full containments when performing radioactive maintenance? Yep- duct tape.

but yes you will never have warning. because the terrorist don't use missiles They do not posses missles of going that far.

Any attack has to be a crop duster or some sort of local attack. Either way the attack will be silent (relatively) and you will have no forwarning. Unless your safe room is always ready (save for the last seal when you enter)- you are going to be in a world of hurt. And if you are at work at the time, or away from your house you are really in a world of sh!t.

Comment

1. Check this thread for realistic dangers of CBN weapons

2. How big a risk is involved? Compared to the 9-11 attack, how many people died in car accidents that year?
        (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
        (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
        (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

yep, I read that thread. good stuff.

But again, duct tape is a powerful tape. There is a reason why we used it in the navy.

But you have to know this stuff is coming.

The thing to realize is getting out of town is impossible due to traffic jams. Of course this is only an issue if they use chemical weapons on the entire city- which is unlikely as that would require too much material.

So really a safe room is not needed. I have duct tape- what man doens't? But I have no plastic sheeting. It is not likely to spread chemical weaps over an entire city. Too much material would be needed. And if they hit my city it will be downtown or the strip. And the sheeting isn't protection against biological weapons really, so I don't need it for that either.

It could help from getting radioactive fallout into your room, but then everything else will be contaminated. Either way you will want to leave the city.

But the thing to realize is leaving the city is not an option due to limited routes. I could use my 4 X 4 to go over the hills into the lake mead area though . Then I could take northshore road to overton and get on the freeway there. But since there is no plausible I would have to leave the city in less than 30 minutes, I'm not concerned with this.

Comment

Just something I learned from risk management: people put a lot of emphasis on something that is very improbable to happen, but with disastrous consequences. It's probably the shock value.
            (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan

Comment

Originally posted by GePap
              The President only has a few opinions, mainly on Iraq, tax cuts, religion and sanctity of life issues. The man has no opinons outside of that, at least as far as we can learn based on what he says in public.

The Department of Homeland Security was an idiotic monstrosity to construct, and a plague on the houses of all in Congress that voted for this thing
              Evidently, you haven't a clue to what management is about.
              The President is just a manager, with the biggest staff.
              He doesn't claim to know all; he hires subordinate managers to manage their areas of expertise.

But this is just another opportunity for you to whine and show your ass, isn't it ?
              Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
              "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
              He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

A President represents his country, a Pres has to have an opinion on EVERYTHING. He has to know his country inside out. (Nobody said leading a country was a cushy job! leading a nation is in the interest of the country, nothing else!) Clearly, spending your days on planning the war on iraq is not sufficient in my opinion (he said it himself, or perhaps some staff member i donno, that he spent 80% of his time on the war on iraq... you think that's normal?)

In our country anyway, the prime minister also handles minor business, or at least what "you" would see as minor stuff. When there is a dispute that can't be solved, the primie minister or president should have their own opinion on the case...

I mean: that's what you pay a president for?: waging wars, whining about religion, and making tax cuts? Well then you have a very weak and ignorant leader...

Bush's term reminds me of four things: Tax cuts, war on afghanistan, war on iraq and finally oil companies get all the advantages they desire (so they don't need to reduce pollution in oil refineries etc if they don't want to, for example)
                "An archaeologist is the best husband a women can have; the older she gets, the more interested he is in her." - Agatha Christie
                "Non mortem timemus, sed cogitationem mortis." - Seneca

Comment

Sloww,

That's insane. A CEO does not need to be an expert on everything, but he has to know about all the issues, and be prepared to take a position on them. If he can't, Dubya should cut time spend on his ranch and catch up with business.

Comment

There's a lot of difference in having knowledge of, and having an area of expertise.
                    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.

Comment

Trajanus, Bush does more than that.

You are making the mistake of paying attention to the media too much. I'm sure in his day to day routine, he handles many issues. They are just not newsworthy.

I too once believe the media. I once believe how great a president Bill Clinton was, because he presented himself so well to the media. And the media liked him and gave him lots of good coverage.

Comment

I guess the chairman of General Motors is forklift certified.

Comment

Apparently Dissident is salivating over duct tape.

I still say that this whole episode was crazy.
                          A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

I agree. They're pis$ing away 100s of billions to create a false sense of security. But when it gets right down to it, anybody that wants to commit terrorism is going to do it anyway.
                            "Perhaps a new spirit is rising among us. If it is, let us trace its movements and pray that our own inner being may be sensitive to its guidance, for we are deeply in need of a new way beyond the darkness that seems so close around us." --MLK Jr.

Comment

Just something I learned from risk management: people put a lot of emphasis on something that is very improbable to happen, but with disastrous consequences. It's probably the shock value.
                              I figure that I've breathed so much polluted air ,and drank so much polluted water out of the Detroit River, that the worse I'd get from a biological/chemical attack is a nice contact buzz.

In fact, my "emergency plan" involves opening all the windows in my apartment and frolicking gaily in the streets. I've got three days' supply of Doritos and Mountain Dew on hand for the ensuing case of munchies.
                              "Perhaps a new spirit is rising among us. If it is, let us trace its movements and pray that our own inner being may be sensitive to its guidance, for we are deeply in need of a new way beyond the darkness that seems so close around us." --MLK Jr.

Comment

Working...
                              X