Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help Datajack upgrading his PC

My current system is P3-700 128RAM 19GBHD

What gives the best performances? Should I replace just the chip or is ram more important? Feel free to post some prices, as I haven't the slightest idea about what amount I'm going to invest (invest! in a computer! )

Note that Datajack wants to go to Athens to see the olympics and has to buy the volleyball tournament tickets in may (in the country where Paiticakes lives... ) so he cannot spend more than 500€/$
    I will never understand why some people on Apolyton find you so clever. You're predictable, mundane, and a google-whore and the most observant of us all know this. Your battles of "wits" rely on obscurity and whenever you fail to find something sufficiently obscure, like this, you just act like a 5 year old. Congratulations, molly.

Asher on molly bloom

damn, everyone has a computer thread now!

youre really better off just going for a total system makeover with everything except for the HD and CD drive. you probably can get a P4 system for 500 provided you do use your old things in tandem with the new.
    "I hope I get to punch you in the face one day" - MRT144, Imran Siddiqui
    'I'm fairly certain that a ban on me punching you in the face is not a "right" worth respecting." - loinburger

Comment

Buy as much RAM as you can or want to get for it. You should be able to get well over 1G (if not 2) with your €500.
      Civilization II: maps, guides, links, scenarios, patches and utilities (+ Civ2Tech and CivEngineer)

Comment

the question is though will his mobo support it? and it depends on what OS hes running also. if its 98se then he has a limit of 999.
        'I'm fairly certain that a ban on me punching you in the face is not a "right" worth respecting." - loinburger

Comment

It is 98 MRT
          I will never understand why some people on Apolyton find you so clever. You're predictable, mundane, and a google-whore and the most observant of us all know this. Your battles of "wits" rely on obscurity and whenever you fail to find something sufficiently obscure, like this, you just act like a 5 year old. Congratulations, molly.

Asher on molly bloom

Comment

what kind of ram do you have? i am assuming it is SDRAM. i could actually sell you two sticks of 256 MB pc133 ram...for like 20 bucks a stick. that would boost performance to an extent.

have you any experience building your own computer?

Comment

I definitely don't want to mess with my computer as I still remember the time I overclocked my old Apple Macintosh (self-combust the very next day)

Asher on molly bloom

Comment

well how are you going to go about upgrading your computer then? did you buy a nerd slave from india? you should consult the person doing the upgrade to your computer...

personally id get a p4 2 ghz, an intel 845 mobo, stick of 512 ddr ram and win xp... that should weigh in at less than 500 bucks. and maybe a new power supply unit. that might push it to 550.

Comment

what's a mobo again?

and nope, I'm taking it to the guy who sold it to me and seeking his advice, just don't want to go there like a stupid

Asher on molly bloom

Comment

mobo=motherboard.

yeah, ask about a RAM upgrade, and a video card upgrade.

Comment

I will get my computer upgraded, but I think I will wait for Doom 3
                      Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

Don't forget Tomb Raider 7

Asher on molly bloom

Comment

If you're running win98se, don't go for more ram then 256 as it is a complete waste and money. You could even get lower perfonce then you have now.

I still have an AMD 1400tb lying around here somewhere, interested?
                          Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing?
                          Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

It depends on what you want to do.

If you only play TBS, you don't need an upgrade, perhaps just add another 128MB RAM.

BTW, what is your graphics card?

P.S. Why are you refering to yourself in the third person?
                            (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
                            (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
                            (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

My graphic card is a Voodoo3

Maybe I'll just add some RAM and replace the chip? What's the cost of a P4?

Datajack thanks you, you may now go as He needs to rest

Asher on molly bloom

Comment

Working...
                              X