Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I HATE student athletes...

Let me start off with the scenario...

Today, I was venting to my friend about our Sociology Statistics class. In this class, we have a LOT of student athlete's who sit in the back and talk REALLY LOUD. They do NOT talk about the lecture, but rather make fun of the professor or talk about whatever happened in their ****hole life. They usually talk so loud, people that are almost in the front of class can hear them, but the professor ignores them and continues with his lecture. They (student athlete's) continually disrupt class for us regular students who are serious about our education.

It's gotten so bad, I skip lecture and just go to the labs. Many of the faculty don't care about this constant disruption and continue with the lecture. Only 2, TWO, professor's that I have taken reprimanded these students....but to no avail.

My proposition is this....create "vocational" sports colleges.

These colleges would be vocational, kind of like the school's mechanics, plumbers, and electricians go to. They learn the trade they pick (in this case, the sport) and learn the ropes. At these colleges, they would be given a fundamentally basic education but their courses would focus on which sport they want to play. This would, hopefully, remove these stupid a** blight's in the college classroom's and help us "real" students focus better. Now, "real" college's would still keep their athletic programs, but would mainly focus on the academics and not sports.

Well, I'm sorry for dumping on you guys but I want to know if any other Apolytoner's out there have/are experiencing the same frustration that I am, and maybe if you guys can give some advice to the situation that I am in.

(Oh yeah, comments to my Vocational sports college would also be welcomed....for better or for worse.)
    Despot-(1a) : a ruler with absolute power and authority (1b) : a person exercising power tyrannically
    Beyond Alpha Centauri-Witness the glory of Sheng-ji Yang
    *****Citizen of the Hive****
    "...but what sane person would move from Hawaii to Indiana?" -Dis

It's usually not a problem in the science faculties from what I've experienced.

They usually go for the social sciences or kinesiology.
    "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
    Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

You've seen student-athletes go to class?
      KH FOR OWNER!
      ASHER FOR CEO!!
      GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

Yup...on both accounts.

Seeing as how I'm taking Social Science classes (I want to work for the Department of Public Safety...i.e. Prisons) they are numerous.

What I don't get is why come to class at all if you're just going to talk about how you "scored" with this girl or that or how drunk you got. Sorry, but I gotta say this:

For the most part, student athlete's are full of s***.
        Despot-(1a) : a ruler with absolute power and authority (1b) : a person exercising power tyrannically

Comment

Let me guess: American. That must be horrible.

Report them to your schools adminiistartion through an anonymous, professional sounding letter. Or you could speak up during the lecture, though knowing American intelligence....
          Eventis is the only refuge of the spammer. Join us now.
          Long live teh paranoia smiley!

Comment

It isn't going to happen.

Let's sum it all up in one word...

MONEY!

Surprise... Surprise...

The money that sports brings in is important to most schools. It also brings in donations from School supporters. It would be nice if people made donations strictly on other factors, but that's not the way it works.
            Whenever a team from a non power makes a run in the NCAA basketball tournent... donations climb.

That's the way the world works.
            Keep on Civin'
            RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Have you talked to the Prof. during office hours? If not, make your concerns known. If that doesn't do anything, move up the chain of command. Go to the Department Head and then the Dean of the College and eventually the President (your President does have office hours, right?).

If that doesn't work, maybe writing letters to the campus newspaper would help.

I'm sure if you express to your professors that the disruptions are so bad that they don't make their class worthwhile to you (and perhaps other students), then they might pay attention to your concerns.
              If you look around and think everyone else is an *******, you're the *******.

Comment

Thanks guys. I mean, okay, I know the school needs money....but come ON...don't I pay my tuition? Isn't my education going to help the economy of our state when I get a job?

I believe that a vast majority of these student athlete's are going to fail in their attempts and be stuck cause they squandered their higher education opportunity. This B.S. just isn't fair.

I guess I'll try write a letter to the President, professor, and campus newsletter to try and get some attention to this problem. I've talked to quite a lot of students who are in other classes and they too have the same sentiments that I have.

I just think that if I'm paying my tuition, I should have the same rights as some loser athlete whose coasting by just cause he can shoot hoops better than myself.

I figure that at least when I have my career, I'll be contributing to society by reforming criminals and sending those certain individual's to serve jail time......not having to leech off of society like some of these other student's are.

Comment

Something some of my friends have found effective is to anonymously let them know how much they're pissing everyone off (if you don't want to confront them).

My university has things called TLFs ("Three lines free") which any student can have published in the weekly free student newspaper, which most people end up reading. Once you ream them out in a TLF, people usually shut up...
                  "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
                  Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

asher, you assume frankychan is clever enough to write a scathing TLF
                    "I hope I get to punch you in the face one day" - MRT144, Imran Siddiqui
                    'I'm fairly certain that a ban on me punching you in the face is not a "right" worth respecting." - loinburger

Comment

Used to have the same problem in my classes as well with people nattering. Is it your first year? Usually it gets a bit better during the second.

But don't go blaming all athletes for this - some of the people that talk in my lectures are right fat bastards.
                      www.my-piano.blogspot

Comment

or liberals?
                        "I hope I get to punch you in the face one day" - MRT144, Imran Siddiqui
                        'I'm fairly certain that a ban on me punching you in the face is not a "right" worth respecting." - loinburger

Comment

It's in my humble opinion something fundamentaly wrong with a higher educational system where abilities and amibtions that has nothing what so ever to do with the abilities and desires for a higher education gets to ride in the front seat.

Comment

Swallow a dictionary Spotty?
                            www.my-piano.blogspot

Comment

How did you know?

Comment

Working...
                              X