No announcement yet.

Bush To Ignore Voice of the People

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just because a certain segment of population is loudest doesn't mean we should follow their whims.
    Granted, democracy is idiotic and the majority are generally morons. This doesn't mean that the majority can't be right, though, and if the majority opposed war, they would be right.
    Follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/DaveDaDouche
    Read my seldom updated blog where I talk to myself: http://davedadouche.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by David Floyd

Granted, democracy is idiotic and the majority are generally morons. This doesn't mean that the majority can't be right, though, and if the majority opposed war, they would be right.
      So then your complaint should be that Bush is doing something you feel is immoral, not that Bush is ignoring the people.
      "I'm moving to the Left" - Lancer

"I imagine the neighbors on your right are estatic." - Slowwhand

Comment

???

If the majority opposed war, then they would be right?

I don't follow the logic. Either you're saying

a) the majority is always right, which it isn't

or

b) you are against war, which means that this debate isn't about the "Voice of the People" any more.
        Poor silly humans. A temporarily stable pattern of matter and energy stumbles upon self-cognizance for a moment, and suddenly it thinks the whole universe was created for its benefit. -- mbelleroff

Comment

Originally posted by DinoDoc

I believe that's the reason I told you to write your Congressman. If the anti-war movement is really as massive as people claim, it shouldn't be too hard to manage.

Incidentally, I was under the impression that the funding for the Iraq War wasn't in the budget. How could it be greanted already?
          I intern with one of the more powerful Republicans in Congress and I have to read voluminous amounts of mail. Most of the letters that we are getting in regards to Iraq are form letters that call for longer, more extensive inspections or no war at all. There are very few letters in favor of attacking Iraq. The ratio runs probably ~80 to 1 against attacking Iraq.

As to the Iraq war funding, I can't speak to whether the funding is completely in the Omnibus 2003 bill. From what I've been reading, the Appropriations Chair expects the White House to send a FY03 Supplemental request in March. The estimated size is $20 billion, most of which will go to Defense in one guise or another. That should be enough to carry on the war for at least the beginning of the campaign.
          If you look around and think everyone else is an *******, you're the *******.

Comment

Re: Bush To Ignore Voice of the People

Originally posted by David Floyd
            "War is my last choice," Bush said at the White House as echoes of anti-war protests circled the globe. "But the risk of doing nothing is even a worse option as far as I am concerned."
            Isn't he silly or what? Aren't the weapons inpectors in there doing things?
            (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
            (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
            (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

So then your complaint should be that Bush is doing something you feel is immoral, not that Bush is ignoring the people.
              That's always been true. In this case, my complaint is that he always claims to care what the people want, but in this case is stating he doesn't care what people think.
              Follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/DaveDaDouche
              Read my seldom updated blog where I talk to myself: http://davedadouche.blogspot.com/

Comment

He is.

It's sad... such bloodlust. I can see the Arabs' point of view.

Comment

Re: Re: Bush To Ignore Voice of the People

Originally posted by Urban Ranger

Isn't he silly or what? Aren't the weapons inpectors in there doing things?
                  Just wasting time when the clock is ticking.

Comment

No clocks.

Comment

Since when are the protesters 'the people'.
                      “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                      - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui
                        Since when are the protesters 'the people'.
                        Since they were born, I think.
                        Eventis is the only refuge of the spammer. Join us now.
                        Long live teh paranoia smiley!

Comment

Well yes there are many who oppose this war but didn't feel like protesting.

Comment

Originally posted by paiktis22
                            No clocks.
                            Oh, now you are being just as bad as David. In your world view time doesn't exist?

Comment

It does.

Comment

Everyone is missing the real problem here. The question isn't about what America really thinks. That's irrelevant because there is no way to ask every single person in this country. These polls are of small sample sizes and don't even come close to representing 1% of America, let alone the entire country. And DinoDoc made a comment that I disagree with.
                                The voice of the people is Congress. Write your Congressman to cut funding for the Iraq war.
                                Congress does not speak for the people. Each congressman (senate and house) have to speak for around 600,000 people. I think that the US is simply too big for the democracy that the Founding Fathers envisioned. Face it, we're relying on a system that is over 200 years old. I don't think I need to tell anybody that things have changed since 200+ years ago. I'm not saying Democracy isn't the answer, I think that the United States needs to be reformed big time. Corporations with big money "speak" for the people. Money buys media exposure, media exposure gets you in the big 2-party vote off at every stage of government except maybe small local and county government.

Bush is ignoring the voice of the people, but of no fault of his own. The system needs to be updated for the 21st century... the confusion on this Iraq thing just proves my point.
                                To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Working...
                                X