Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

This just in: North Korea to End armistice!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Actually, from what I can understand, the US/SK plan for dealing with the large mass of artillery is to use a big integrated system they've had for a while that works like this:

-very accurate radar tracks data on incoming shells
    -computers calaculate the exact position of the origin using this data (fast)
    -rocket artillery goes to this destination

This is part of an integrated system that the SKs and USA forces train very hard to make work quickly and reliably. It can turn the balance of artillery superiority faster than flying around trying to find artillery firing pits.

The North lacks the sophisticated radar, computers, and 'integrated systems' necessary to pull off something like this so they basically can't fight a sustained war.

Unfortunately, the NKs do have enough artillery to just 'brute force' this system for possibly quite a few weeks, especially if they use some tactics like sacrificing their artillery in sections to get maximum use, or if their spies are accurate enough to find a good chunk of the mobile rocket artillery launchers.

Even if they just fire where they are targeted now (seoul) and then get totally blown away by the response within a few days, they still have enough to level Seoul, which is the area where I and 47% of the population live.
    "Wait a minute..this isn''t FAUX dive, it's just a DIVE!"
    "...Mangy dog staggering about, looking vainly for a place to die."
    "sauna stories? There are no 'sauna stories'.. I mean.. sauna is sauna. You do by the laws of sauna." -P.

Comment

• Originally posted by Seeker
      Actually, from what I can understand, the US/SK plan for dealing with the large mass of artillery is to use a big integrated system they've had for a while that works like this:

-very accurate radar tracks data on incoming shells
      -computers calaculate the exact position of the origin using this data (fast)
      -rocket artillery goes to this destination

This is part of an integrated system that the SKs and USA forces train very hard to make work quickly and reliably. It can turn the balance of artillery superiority faster than flying around trying to find artillery firing pits.

The North lacks the sophisticated radar, computers, and 'integrated systems' necessary to pull off something like this so they basically can't fight a sustained war.

Unfortunately, the NKs do have enough artillery to just 'brute force' this system for possibly quite a few weeks, especially if they use some tactics like sacrificing their artillery in sections to get maximum use, or if their spies are accurate enough to find a good chunk of the mobile rocket artillery launchers.

Even if they just fire where they are targeted now (seoul) and then get totally blown away by the response within a few days, they still have enough to level Seoul, which is the area where I and 47% of the population live.
      This is not acceptable at all -- especially in the face of their outrageous belligerence.

Rather than simply talk of NK nuke disarmament, we need to talk about removing that artillery and reducing forces. I don't know how the South can have any discussions with the North about appeasement so long as they remain poised to decimate Seoul.
      http://tools.wikimedia.de/~gmaxwell/jorbis/JOrbisPlayer.php?path=John+Williams+The+Imperial+M arch+from+The+Empire+Strikes+Back.ogg&wiki=en

Comment

• pff. good luck with trying to convince the madman that he really isn't ever going to be under attack.

he remains convinced that the united states is out to get him, no matter what we do; his regime is propped up by his massive military.

i don't see any way we can get rid of that.
        B♭3

Comment

• There's a way to do it, but it takes a while. Do a mass population shift from NK to SK.
          I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

• also fraught with difficulty. can't go through the DMZ, and now they can't go through china, not really. japan is out of the question, as is russia...
            B♭3

Comment

• and now they can't go through china, not really

Doesn't seem like SK has asked China too hard.

This feckless policy perplexes me.
              I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

• This just keeps getting worse and worse. How can you expect to get away with demanding economic aid (blackmail) and a non-aggression treaty with all the name-calling and provocations of late (the four NK interceptor jets).

I also learned today that the last time NK intercepted a US surveillance plane, in 1969, they shot it down, killing all 39 people aboard. If that were to happen today, there would likely be repercussions.

Some days, I just wanna stay in bed. **sigh**

Gatekeeper
                "I may not agree with what you have to say, but I'll die defending your right to say it." — Voltaire

"Wheresoever you go, go with all your heart." — Confucius

Comment

• Originally posted by DanS
                  There's a way to do it, but it takes a while. Do a mass population shift from NK to SK.
                  Assuming that China agrees to this...

Kim would panic and fire his artillery and missiles at all directions, SK, Japan, including China...

which is why China wouldn't agree in the first place.
                  Poor silly humans. A temporarily stable pattern of matter and energy stumbles upon self-cognizance for a moment, and suddenly it thinks the whole universe was created for its benefit. -- mbelleroff

Comment

• Kim would panic and fire his artillery and missiles at all directions, SK, Japan, including China...

Why's that?

Comment

• Kim won't provoke the Chinese. In fact, he probably wants to keep China out of it for as long as possible. Once an actual war breaks out, he'll then try to bring in China on his side. China having a role any earlier would be detrimental to him. Hence, his request for US only talks.
                      “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
                      "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

• Why's that?

Because it would then be obvious that his regime is crumbling. That's what he saved his artillery for.

Kim won't provoke the Chinese. In fact, he probably wants to keep China out of it for as long as possible. Once an actual war breaks out, he'll then try to bring in China on his side. China having a role any earlier would be detrimental to him. Hence, his request for US only talks.

Ugh, no way we're going in there ever again.

In addition to being crass, a war with any one country out of SK, Japan, or the US would be suicide for China.
                        Poor silly humans. A temporarily stable pattern of matter and energy stumbles upon self-cognizance for a moment, and suddenly it thinks the whole universe was created for its benefit. -- mbelleroff

Comment

• Because it would then be obvious that his regime is crumbling.

I still don't get it. One doesn't flow from the other. There would be nothing he would gain by letting the missiles fly.

To hear you tell it, we have to be in perpetual fear of him and prop his regime up until his natural death.

No thanks.

Comment

• From the CNN.com breaking news bar at the top:

U.S. deploying 24 long-range bombers to Pacific as a deterrent to North Korea to take advantage of Iraqi situation, officials say. Details soon.

Comment

• reuters
                              bbc
                              cnn
                              B♭3

Comment

• Originally posted by DanS

I still don't get it. One doesn't flow from the other. There would be nothing he would gain by letting the missiles fly.
                                That's why they aren't flying. And if a refugee channel is set up that seriously undermines his regime, then he would have nothing to lose and the missiles would fly.

To hear you tell it, we have to be in perpetual fear of him and prop his regime up until his natural death.

No thanks.
                                What do you think NK was trying to do at Sinuiju? At Kaesong? These are the first steps of NK venturing out into the world.

Heck, this is how China started.

Comment

Working...
                                X