No announcement yet.

I Met a Girl Who Sang the Blues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Do you know of any albums/songs in particular?
    "Beware of the man who works hard to learn something, learns it, and finds himself no wiser than before. He is full of murderous resentment of people who are ignorant without having come by their ignorance the hard way. "
    -Bokonon

Comment

Honey you live in a town with it at your finger tips. Go to Waterloo and check out some local female blues singers. Lisa Tingle is local and awesome. On the national front there is a girl whose been making a big name for herself in the blues genre her name is Susan (spelling may be off) Tedesci. She's done some work with Drouble Trouble of Stevie Ray Vaughn fame. But she's got a voice that I dare say could almost rival Joplin.
      Welcome to earth, my name is Tia and I'll be your tour guide for this trip.
      Succulent and Bejeweled Mother Goddess, who is always moisturised yet never greasy, always patient yet never suffers fools~Starchild
      Dragons? Yup- big flying lizards with an attitude. ~ Laz
      You are forgiven because you are FABULOUS ~ Imran

Comment

I saw Etta James live a number of years ago, okay... QUITE a number of years ago and I have never seen a better blues concert. There are a number of her greatest hits CDs out there, get one that focusses mostly on her early work.

What about the Queen of the blues? My buddy saw Koko Taylor live about twenty five years ago. At one point she walked away from the mike and just used her incredibly powerful voice to fill the whole room.

Comment

Originally posted by Ramo
          Try Lady Sings The Blues.
          "We are living in the future, I'll tell you how I know, I read it in the paper, Fifteen years ago" - John Prine

Comment

Tracy Chapman?

It's true that male blues singers have been more prolific. It really depends on the style. Chicago-style electric blues is more suited to a male voice, IMHO; Delta blues is flexible enough for women.
            If you look around and think everyone else is an *******, you're the *******.

Comment

Sister Rosetta Tharpe!

Gospel, admittedly, but on a blues base. She also taught Chuck Berry a think or two about guitar technique...
              Världsstad - Dom lokala genrenas vän
              Mick102, 102,3 Umeå, Måndagar 20-21

Comment

Originally posted by Timexwatch
                Tracy Chapman?
                Naw. She is a folky. Blues music uses a slightly different scale which includes the 'blue note'.

Comment

Thanks for the recommendations. Keep 'em coming.
                  "Beware of the man who works hard to learn something, learns it, and finds himself no wiser than before. He is full of murderous resentment of people who are ignorant without having come by their ignorance the hard way. "
                  -Bokonon

Comment

Originally posted by Ramo
                    For a real great blues number by Billy Holliday, try Strange Fruit. Try to get the version with only the piano, it'll send shivers down your spine...
                    Within weeks they'll be re-opening the shipyards
                    And notifying the next of kin
                    Once again...

Comment

Third time of trying to post this (damn server)-

try (for older blues) Lucille Bogan (her classic rude blues, 'Shave'Em Dry' for instance), Alberta Hunter (both early and late career), Victoria Spivey, Ida Cox, Memphis Minnie and also have a listen to Julia Lee and Nellie Lutcher, although neither are strictly known as blues artists.

For a modern slant on folk blues, you could do worse than listen to Lucinda Williams- her albums 'Happy Woman Blues' and 'Ramblin' ' and her live work comes to mind.

Also the awesome voice of Thornetta Davis- I heartily recommend 'Sunday Morning Music'.
                      Vive la liberte. Noor Inayat Khan, Dachau.

...patriotism is not enough. I must have no hatred or bitterness towards anyone. Edith Cavell, 1915

Comment

Good Golly Miss Molly yes!!! Miss Lucinda is awesome, Ramo also try for Lucinda her album called Car Wheels on a Gravel Road I think it's up your alley.
                        Succulent and Bejeweled Mother Goddess, who is always moisturised yet never greasy, always patient yet never suffers fools~Starchild

Comment

Will do, guys. Hmmm.. haven't been to Waterloo in a while. Just about the only place I've bought music since I've lived here was Sound Exchange. I still can't believe they've gone out of business.
                          -Bokonon

Comment

Actually thinking about it Waterloo is a bit on the expensive side. There is a CD Warehouse over in front of the Gateway complex off of Captiol of Texas. In the same complex as Old Navy, Taco Cabana, Marie Calenders. Try there they carry a good variety as well as a large selection of local artist at a good price.

Comment

Diana Krall sings a bluesy kind of jazz. Only modern singer I know of who might qualify.
                              (\__/) Save a bunny, eat more Smurf!
                              (='.'=) Sponsored by the National Smurfmeat Council
                              (")_(") Smurf, the original blue meat! © 1999, patent pending, ® and ™ (except that "Smurf" bit)

Comment

Try checking out the work of Jo Ann Kelly. A British Blues singer with an amazing voice (reminiscent of Memphis Minnie). Sadly she died of a brain tumour a few years back.

Edit: - Another couple of suggestions : Rory Block and Bonnie Raitt.
                                Last edited by redbaron; February 19, 2003, 08:02.

Comment

Working...
                                X