I Met a Girl Who Sang the Blues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I Met a Girl Who Sang the Blues

Why aren't there any female Blues singers?

There's Janis Joplin of course, and then there are those "classic blues" singers from the 20's and 30's like Ma Rainey and Bessie Smith (which mean any recordings have horrible production ), but where are the female equivalents of Buddy Guy, etc.?
    "Beware of the man who works hard to learn something, learns it, and finds himself no wiser than before. He is full of murderous resentment of people who are ignorant without having come by their ignorance the hard way. "
    -Bokonon

Madmoisele sings the blues.
    Forgot the name, a current very deep voice french blues singer.

Comment

Women are too busy giving men the Blues.
      Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
      "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
      He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

nice one.

Comment

"Beware of the man who works hard to learn something, learns it, and finds himself no wiser than before. He is full of murderous resentment of people who are ignorant without having come by their ignorance the hard way. "
          -Bokonon

Comment

I was thinking the other day ( ) there are many female singers in Greece. There are genres here that can be equivalated (?) to the blues.
            Many female singers.

Comment

Hmmm what kind of genres?
              -Bokonon

Comment

elafrolaika
                demotika
                rebetika
                nisiotika
                entexna

etc etc

Comment

dp
                  -Bokonon

Comment

Thanks. Any particularly good (and relatively popular) bands?
                    -Bokonon

Comment

of those the closer to the blues is the rebetika.
                      same "feeling" (different style)

to give you an idea: remember misirlou? the instrumental song in pulp fiction?
                      that was a rebetiko (the original has lyrics and it's not as "pumped up" )

Comment

Originally posted by Ramo
                        Thanks. Any particularly good (and relatively popular) bands?
                        I'm not the best person to ask since I'm a little punk rocker

Comment

Re: I Met a Girl Who Sang the Blues

Why aren't there any female Blues singers?

There's Janis Joplin of course, and then there are those "classic blues" singers from the 20's and 30's like Ma Rainey and Bessie Smith (which mean any recordings have horrible production ), but where are the female equivalents of Buddy Guy, etc.?
                          Billie Holiday perhaps?
                          "We are living in the future, I'll tell you how I know, I read it in the paper, Fifteen years ago" - John Prine

Comment

I thought she was more into jazz and rock n' roll.
                            -Bokonon

Comment

I thought she was more into jazz and rock n' roll.
                              She sang the blues as well.
                              "We are living in the future, I'll tell you how I know, I read it in the paper, Fifteen years ago" - John Prine

Comment

Working...
                              X