No announcement yet.

Do western americans have accents?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

still doesn't change the fact that no one thinks I talk with an accent wherever I go in the US

the holiwood explanation is the best I ahve heard so far, but it is not great

Jon Miller
    Jon Miller-
    I AM.CANADIAN
    GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

You all have accents. Only Finns speak English properly.
      "Spirit merges with matter to sanctify the universe. Matter transcends to return to spirit. The interchangeability of matter and spirit means the starlit magic of the outermost life of our universe becomes the soul-light magic of the innermost life of our self." - Dennis Kucinich, candidate for the U. S. presidency
      "That’s the future of the Democratic Party: providing Republicans with a number of cute (but not that bright) comfort women." - Adam Yoshida, Canada's gift to the world

Comment

I, of course, have a Scottish accent (but it's not very strong since I have lived abroad too long).

Comment

Yes, like ottok!
          “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
          - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Originally posted by Frogger
            Midwesterners and southwesterners have an annoying twang or something (they don't round their vowels enough).
            In terms of the American Midwest, depends on the region. The Northern regions tend to have that Minne-SOH-tah accent like in Fargo. But further south, the accent is much more faint. Kansans and Nebraskans are very mild on the accent.

Then there's Texas...oy!
            Tutto nel mondo è burla

Comment

The West has a lack of accent rather than an accent. It's due to migration. Duuuude
              "When you ride alone, you ride with Bin Ladin"-Bill Maher
              "All capital is dripping with blood."-Karl Marx
              "Of course, my response to your Marx quote is 'So?'"-Imran Siddiqui

Comment

Then I can say that New York City has a lack of accent due to migration... of course that is false.

California definetly has an accent... and there is no such thing as a lack of accent.
                “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”

Comment

HEY!

Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
                  "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
                  He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui
                    Then I can say that New York City has a lack of accent due to migration... of course that is false.
                    About two weeks ago I was talking with my colleagues at work and said something, don't recall what, that came out in a total Brooklyn accent. I stopped, my eyes widened and I just had to stop talking out of shame.

Tutto nel mondo è burla

Comment

imran, there is a differnce in southern and northern california accents. its like 2 different states... NCR UBER ALLES!
                      "I hope I get to punch you in the face one day" - MRT144, Imran Siddiqui
                      'I'm fairly certain that a ban on me punching you in the face is not a "right" worth respecting." - loinburger

Comment

Poor Boris .

Comment

imran, there is a differnce in southern and northern california accents.

I'm glad you admit Northern California has an accent .

It's similar to Oregon / Washington accents.

Comment

California definetly has an accent... and there is no such thing as a lack of accent.
                            Talking differently than someone does not mean you have an accent. Regions have accents because of isolation from the other people who speak the language. The NE accent was created because to isolation from the South and from the rest of the English speaking world. The west did not have isolation, because people came from different places with different accents. Therefor, no one accent could establish itself. If only people from the NE would have migrated here we would have a NE accent.

Comment

Originally posted by MRT144
                              imran, there is a differnce in southern and northern california accents. its like 2 different states... NCR UBER ALLES!
                              Example please

Comment

imran, there is a differnce in southern and northern california accents.

I'm glad you admit Northern California has an accent .

It's similar to Oregon / Washington accents.
                                Imran,

How could we all have the same accent. We developed in isolation from each other.

Comment

Working...
                                X