Do western americans have accents?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MRT144
    imran, there is a differnce in southern and northern california accents. its like 2 different states... NCR UBER ALLES!
    Other then using words like "Hella" I didn't notice to much of a difference between northern and southern California.
    Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

And "Hella" is just slang. Also I noticed that they use the word in southern california occasionally now too.
      "When you ride alone, you ride with Bin Ladin"-Bill Maher
      "All capital is dripping with blood."-Karl Marx
      "Of course, my response to your Marx quote is 'So?'"-Imran Siddiqui

Comment

yeah, its slight, but its there. not " a grip" of differences
        "I hope I get to punch you in the face one day" - MRT144, Imran Siddiqui
        'I'm fairly certain that a ban on me punching you in the face is not a "right" worth respecting." - loinburger

Comment

Talking differently than someone does not mean you have an accent.

That's exactly what an accent MEANS! No one is un-accented. Everyone has a different accent. Accents are different prominence given to syllables of words. Unless you don't promote any syllable in words (which is almost impossible), you have an accent.

Like I said, New York should be unaccented by your logic, but that is clearly false. New York was never in isolation, but there are clearly distinct accents in the city.

Accents develop by interaction among the people in society. Accents soften or deepen by interactions with outsides, but they never evaporate.
          “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
          - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

you have no idea how many times norcal folks use the word hella...its quite emberassing.
            'I'm fairly certain that a ban on me punching you in the face is not a "right" worth respecting." - loinburger

Comment

I'm from Las Vegas and I have no accent. But I do have a southern accent on occasion. But I do that on purpose. Just something I picked up living in the south 8 years.

Comment

As in Shriner's? Hella Shriner's ?
                Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
                "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
                He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

example: "hella shriners were riding around in their little cars at the parade"

Comment

Right. I've seen those guys.
                    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.

Comment

Originally posted by DuncanK

Talking differently than someone does not mean you have an accent. Regions have accents because of isolation from the other people who speak the language. The NE accent was created because to isolation from the South and from the rest of the English speaking world. The west did not have isolation, because people came from different places with different accents. Therefor, no one accent could establish itself. If only people from the NE would have migrated here we would have a NE accent.
                      what are you talking about? people from all over the world come to NY. There's defintely no isolation, yet there is clearly a NY accent.
                      :-p

Comment

And Imran, saying you feel sorry for Boris is like saying you feel sorry for poison ivy.

Comment

i don't think californians have an accent
                          I'm 49% Apathetic, 23% Indifferent, 46% Redundant, 26% Repetative and 45% Mathetically Deficient.

Comment

I've spent half of my life in Southern California, and I guess I still have a twinge of that "surfer-dude" accent
                            "Beware of the man who works hard to learn something, learns it, and finds himself no wiser than before. He is full of murderous resentment of people who are ignorant without having come by their ignorance the hard way. "
                            -Bokonon

Comment

well

surfer is an accent

I guess I was not including them

Jon Miller
                              Jon Miller-
                              I AM.CANADIAN
                              GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui
                                Accents develop by interaction among the people in society. Accents soften or deepen by interactions with outsides, but they never evaporate.
                                How do you explain people losing their accent when they moved to the western state? Look Imran, if you did the whole thing all over again. If northerners and southerners migrated to a new state in comparable numbers, the result would be that the people in that new state would talk the same as Californians. That is why all the people in the west talk the same. Even Westen Canadians talk more like Californians than they do Eastern Canadians. New York is different. There has never been a time that people have moved to New York from other English speaking places in great enough numbers that the accent there has been affected. Although, there is a long term process, and yes eventually the english speaking world will speak western English as they lose their accents.
                                "When you ride alone, you ride with Bin Ladin"-Bill Maher
                                "All capital is dripping with blood."-Karl Marx
                                "Of course, my response to your Marx quote is 'So?'"-Imran Siddiqui

Comment

Working...
                                X