No announcement yet.

Do western americans have accents?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We Minnesotans are famous for our Scandinavian accent.

UFFDA YA.

Comment

asher: i spent the summer in cali ...i picked up dude and it's something that is HARD to get rid of. but i hear it in people ..men..of all ages
      "Speaking on the subject of conformity: This rotting concept of the unfathomable nostril mystifies the fuming crotch of my being!!! Stop with the mooing you damned chihuahua!!! Ganglia!! Rats eat babies!" ~ happy noodle boy

Comment

Starting with a bulge here in Colorado and going west, there's not really an accent. There are some 'regional' accents, like in LA/Hollywood, etc., but for the most part, 'the West' doesn't have an accent to it.

Comment

Last edited by Ted Striker; August 3, 2020, 17:56.
          We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. - Abraham Lincoln

Comment

Originally posted by devilmunchkin
            asher: i spent the summer in cali ...i picked up dude and it's something that is HARD to get rid of. but i hear it in people ..men..of all ages
            It happens overtime, it gradually happened for me in the...6 years I've been back here.

I used to be hassled for it because people thought I was a wannabe surfer or something.
            "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
            Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Originally posted by Boris Godunov

In terms of the American Midwest, depends on the region. The Northern regions tend to have that Minne-SOH-tah accent like in Fargo. But further south, the accent is much more faint. Kansans and Nebraskans are very mild on the accent.

Then there's Texas...oy!
              I dare say that we upper Midwesterns have perfected the oral use of the English language.
              A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

I bet you have a deep Southern accent, which is why you are so bitter toward the South .
                “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Kansans and Nebraskans are very mild on the accent.

Exactly. We are the epitome of the spoken English language...
                  KH FOR OWNER!
                  ASHER FOR CEO!!
                  GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

ted: you hear the gay lisp in parts near san diego too....
                    "Speaking on the subject of conformity: This rotting concept of the unfathomable nostril mystifies the fuming crotch of my being!!! Stop with the mooing you damned chihuahua!!! Ganglia!! Rats eat babies!" ~ happy noodle boy

Comment

• devil, do you use the word "hella"?
                      "I hope I get to punch you in the face one day" - MRT144, Imran Siddiqui
                      'I'm fairly certain that a ban on me punching you in the face is not a "right" worth respecting." - loinburger

Comment

• gay lisp is not a california dialect. there are people with gay lisp everywhere.
                        "When you ride alone, you ride with Bin Ladin"-Bill Maher
                        "All capital is dripping with blood."-Karl Marx
                        "Of course, my response to your Marx quote is 'So?'"-Imran Siddiqui

Comment

• i agree with duncan, there isnt a gay lisp that is characteristic of californians. i recognize a gay lisp when i hear it ala moroco mole.
                          'I'm fairly certain that a ban on me punching you in the face is not a "right" worth respecting." - loinburger

Comment

• Yep.
                            "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
                            Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

• moroco mole = king of homosexuals

Comment

• The conclusion is that California accents are not much different than Midwest

I second that. I lived in Iowa for 22 years, then Northern California for 18 years. I found the "accents" to be nearly identical.
                                Maybe their accent is similar to the Midwestern accent, but that doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

That may well be technically true, but "Midwestern English" is still often referred to as "unaccented" American English. I think of it more as "plain", or the vanilla version of standard American English.
                                Last edited by mindseye; February 18, 2003, 11:36.
                                Official Homepage of the HiRes Graphics Patch for Civ2

Comment

Working...
                                X