Capitalism

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yep, Duncan .

(Oh, and I like you much better with this avatar... yep, that's all it takes to please me )
    “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
    - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Yes, it's much better isn't it.
      "When you ride alone, you ride with Bin Ladin"-Bill Maher
      "All capital is dripping with blood."-Karl Marx
      "Of course, my response to your Marx quote is 'So?'"-Imran Siddiqui

Comment

In other words, the concept of a "free market" is useless econ-jargon?
        "Beware of the man who works hard to learn something, learns it, and finds himself no wiser than before. He is full of murderous resentment of people who are ignorant without having come by their ignorance the hard way. "
        -Bokonon

Comment

Not really... free is simply a quantifier added to econ-jargon 'market' .
          “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”

Comment

Ah I get it, so the concept of a "market" is useless econ-jargon.
            "Beware of the man who works hard to learn something, learns it, and finds himself no wiser than before. He is full of murderous resentment of people who are ignorant without having come by their ignorance the hard way. "
            -Bokonon

Comment

Now you are getting it .

'free' is simply useless politic-jargon.

You have to get these things straight, you know?

Comment

Ah, no. Like any other term, it allows us to have intelligent conversation.

Comment

It seems to me that his sort of jargon is preventing intelligent conversation.
                  -Bokonon

Comment

No-one has come up with any other definitions, so I suppose my original ones stand, even though I do not understand 'econ-jargon'

Why are economies from the Elizabethan to Victorian eras not free-market ones? - the only point of agreement in this thread seems to be free-market economies do not exist
                    "An Outside Context Problem was the sort of thing most civilisations encountered just once, and which they tended to encounter rather in the same way a sentence encountered a full stop" - Excession

Comment

Myrddin,

There was government involvement in the economies. Mostly in the form of limiting competition and keeping a lid on wages.

Comment

It seems to me that his sort of jargon is preventing intelligent conversation.

It depends on your idea of intelligent .

As for Victorian examples - what Duncan said.

Comment

Governments limiting competition before 1830?

OK some issued monopolies, but most governments didn't interfere much in business

If these were not free-markets, what were they?
                          "An Outside Context Problem was the sort of thing most civilisations encountered just once, and which they tended to encounter rather in the same way a sentence encountered a full stop" - Excession

Comment

OK some issued monopolies

Most issued monopolies... they were refered to as charters and in some industries, only those with charters could engage in that specific act.

Comment

It's called Mercantilism.

Comment

Originally posted by DuncanK
                                Myrddin,

There was government involvement in the economies. Mostly in the form of limiting competition and keeping a lid on wages.
                                Sure? Victorian economy seems to be the high tide of laissez-faire capitalism. In fact, isn't that the root of classic economics?
                                (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
                                (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
                                (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

Working...
                                X