Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DinoDoc
    increased interdependence

What does that have to do with anything? It isn't like economic interdependence staved off WWI. [/nitpicking]
    There's somewhat more interdependence the days- after all, the EU has made us into a signle market. Supposedly.
    Världsstad - Dom lokala genrenas vän
    Mick102, 102,3 Umeå, Måndagar 20-21

Comment

My personal one-word theory is "nukes".

What?
      "On this ship you'll refer to me as idiot, not you captain!"
      - Lone Star

Comment

Buck your entire list was a direct result of a unifying presence of American troops.
        We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. - Abraham Lincoln

Comment

Single market?
          So what? What has that to do with the price of tea in...China ?
          Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
          "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
          He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Originally posted by JimmyCracksCorn
            Ok, its obvious English isn't your first language as your miscomprehension of Sloww's original argument is the main cause of the misunderstanding and your little hissy-fit. So I'll sum up his argument now, slooooooowly.....

Sloww thinks that US troops should be withdrawn from European (etc) countries. He thinks that by stationing troops in Europe (at the US's expense), it allows those host countries to spend money they would otherwise spend on defense on other things. By removing troops, those countries are more or less on their own. He never said there was a war being "postponed", but in the event of any kind of threat (whenever or whatever that may be), those countries would have to rely more heavily on their own capital (which means money in english) rather than mooching under the American safety net.

Clearer?
            Petty insults on my English aside, you should have paid more attention. I even made sure to quote all posts so that people can see who I'm shouting at.
            First, the "postponed" issue was with Lancer, which you obviously failed to notice.
            Second, my issue with Sloww boiled down to me accusing him of gloating in his OP and then acting as if he hadn't done it, which you also should have noticed but didn't.
            - Lone Star

Comment

JimmyCracksCorn... see you in a week. Enjoy your restriction. And next time, read before you type.
              Keep on Civin'
              RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Gloated ? I missed that, I guess.
                JimmyCracksCorn understood to perfection exactly what I was saying, not that he shouuldn't have understood.
                It was pretty clear and consise, IMO.
                Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.

Comment

Originally posted by SlowwHand
                  Gloated ? I missed that, I guess.
                  JimmyCracksCorn understood to perfection exactly what I was saying, not that he shouuldn't have understood.
                  It was pretty clear and consise, IMO.
                  "See how the former host country feel then."

I have a very hard time believing that was anything but gloating (or "throwing your toys out of the pram" sort of gloating, in case there's a better word for it), especially in such a short post as your OP.

I trust you can find the post where I said this the first time.
                  - Lone Star

Comment

For once, I agree with Sloww.

Leave. We don't need you.
                    "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
                    "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
                    "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Comment

It's easier to trust people when thereis an authority to prevent people from hurting each other. When you remove that authority mistrust may increase. That's why Europe has been able to mend their wounds.
                      "When you ride alone, you ride with Bin Ladin"-Bill Maher
                      "All capital is dripping with blood."-Karl Marx
                      "Of course, my response to your Marx quote is 'So?'"-Imran Siddiqui

Comment

Originally posted by Ted Striker
                        Buck your entire list was a direct result of a unifying presence of American troops.
                        Unifying certainly (because of the superpower dichotomy going on, and the strategic importance of alliance with america and their troups on your front line), pacifying, no.

America could have withdrawn its troops in about 1955 (or possibly even a few years earlier) without western europe falling out with each other. They'd have been angry with the US, sure, and it would have been a tactically stupid move to make at the height of the Cold War, but I can't see France and Germany entering a war since then because of that move. Except for a few years before the formation of the BRD, the troops never had an active role in keeping squabbles down whether in the public or the government. It was hardly the threat of an american invation that kept France and Germany in line, was it?

Comment

Originally posted by DuncanK
                          It's easier to trust people when thereis an authority to prevent people from hurting each other. When you remove that authority mistrust may increase. That's why Europe has been able to mend their wounds.
                          And you're claiming there was such an authority in Europe after the second world war... and that this authority was the US?

The US certainly did not have the desire to lay down the law at anyone in the age of the Marshall plan.

Comment

That's strategic, not tactical Buck.

For the record, I am a member of Pedants Anonymous.
                            - Lone Star

Comment

No, you're saying timing is key, Buck?
                              I'm saying, I don't care on iota about timing.
                              Spiffor and Jaakko are demonstrating to a "T" why I have this opinion.
                              NOT a personal attack, just a statement of fact.

You can be cocky, right now.

Comment

Originally posted by SlowwHand
                                Spiffor and Jaakko are demonstrating to a "T" why I have this opinion.
                                Did I demonstrate something ? I thought I was just stating my agreement with you
                                "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
                                "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
                                "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Comment

Working...
                                X