Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Just who the hell is the German foreign minister?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sir Ralph

Hilarious article. And I thought "Bild" was a crap paper, but, ya know, in the States is everything a lot larger.
    Well, I hope not really everything
    Blah

Comment

Originally posted by BeBro
      Well, I hope not really everything
      No, if I consider the lot of "penis enlargement" ads I get in my mailbox from US addresses. They must have a gigantic market for this.

Comment

Yes I checked. Not available....

I know for whom that "with us or against us" message was intended to initally, but the US government is applying the same attitute on the European countries that are "not cooperating" now.

True or false?

If your answer is false, I'd like to remind you of Rumsfelds remark on North Korea, Lybia (or was it Cuba) and Germany not being helpful...!!!!!!!

What was that about then?

Comment

Originally posted by Daz
          Yes I checked. Not available....
          It's working for me. ??

Originally posted by Daz
          I know for whom that "with us or against us" message was intended to initally, but the US government is applying the same attitute on the European countries that are "not cooperating" now.

True or false?
          I can't see even the most controversial comments by the administration as threatening to Europe in a physical sense, though the nasty back and forth has gotten way out of hand on both sides IMO.

Originally posted by Daz
          If your answer is false, I'd like to remind you of Rumsfelds remark on North Korea, Lybia (or was it Cuba) and Germany not being helpful...!!!!!!!

That was going too far I agree, but I don't begin to equate it with any sort of "you are against us, and now are our enemy" kind of thinking. Richard Perle's comments about France on the other hand crossed this boundary, but he doesn't speak for the administration.
          He's got the Midas touch.
          But he touched it too much!
          Hey Goldmember, Hey Goldmember!

Comment

Originally posted by oedo
            at least Fischer doesn´t lie to the UN security council and present faked "evidences" in order to justify a war and killing thousands of innocent civilians.(sorry, I couldn´t help binging this polemic but much more proven fact at this point.)
            Translation: The evidience presented does not conform to my narrow little political dogma so I will utterly reject it out of hand. Doing this makes me feel better and saves me from actually doing any sort of thinking; which is good because thinking makes my head hurt.

*Edit: Alright that was more sarcastic then oedo deserved but it is so irritating to hear people repeat the same tired falsehoods a million times. Like that will some how make them true.
            Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Sikander :
              I wasn't in Germany when there was a scandal regarding Fischer, but I think it was clear Fischer had been a radical in his past, and admitted to have hit the policeman, IIRC. I don't think there is a point in arguing this, since pretty much everybody agree Fischer wasn't a good boy 30 years ago.
              Now, this doesn't make the point of this column less stupid : "I don't like what Fischer says, so I will dig up some old dirt rather than taking his reasonment into account"

Oerdin :
              Are you concious you're doing exactly the same as Oedo ? The "evidence" (I don't pretend to know whether they are true or not) which Powell presented conforms to your pro-war stance, and allows you to further justifiate it without thinking.
              "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
              "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
              "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Comment

Originally posted by Daz

Daz: The question asked Rumsfield was which states had made specific absolute statements that they would not assist in remove Saddam. He response was that the three states mentioned were the only ones who had stated outright that they would not assist.

Half the people in Europe seem to be going out of there way to deliberately take things out of context just so they can get indignent about the "misunderstanding" they purposefully made.

Comment

Originally posted by Spiffor
                  Oerdin :
                  Are you concious you're doing exactly the same as Oedo ? The "evidence" (I don't pretend to know whether they are true or not) which Powell presented conforms to your pro-war stance, and allows you to further justifiate it without thinking.
                  Actually I can give you a thread where the evidience is reviewed and talked about extensively. Would you like a link?

Comment

gladly
                    "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
                    "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
                    "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Comment

Originally posted by Oerdin

Actually I can give you a thread where the evidience is reviewed and talked about extensively. Would you like a link?
                      The point of Fischer is not that he doesn´t believe Powell´s evidence - the point is more if this evidence is enough to start military action.

edit:

Thats because Fischer is far left and anybody who disagrees with him is a bougeios recationary and should probably be shot
                      Fischer is by no means "far left", and also the Green Party of Germany has changed its course slightly. It is still a left party, but absolutely not far left. Fischer itself is the most respected politician in polls, those past radical views are long gone - and most people accept that here. Also, he´s normally rather moderate towards the US, he´s not at all an America-hater.
                      Last edited by BeBMan; February 14, 2003, 11:37.
                      Blah

Comment

Originally posted by Big Crunch

Does that make the NY post a leftist paper. They are attacking the source of the statement (i.e Fischer) instead of arguing the merits of military action.

Powell made his case. Fischer responded "I am not convinced. That is my problem"

Her did NOT point by point refute Powell, or make an intellectual case. He simply asserted his own personal credibility. In doing so he invited personal attack.

His past associations surely do NOT indicate that he is or was a terrorist. They DO indicate that his judgement of terrorists and of political groups that ally with them is poor, something quite relevant to the current situation. It may also indicate that his judgements about the merits of liberal democracy, its prospects in places like Iraq, etc are similarly poor.

Kelly tends to be obnoxious and ad hominem in his attacks - this is nothing compared to what he used to write about Clinton. And he certainly neglects the fact that Fischer has been more concerned about the American alliance than Schroeder. However this is hardly quite as far out some here would have it.
                        "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

Every NYer, at least, knows the Post is the equivalent of London's Sun.

Not true! The Sun has boobs on Page 3!
                          “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                          - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Originally posted by lord of the mark

His past associations surely do NOT indicate that he is or was a terrorist. They DO indicate that his judgement of terrorists and of political groups that ally with them is poor, something quite relevant to the current situation.
                            No, perhaps that was the case in the past, but absolutely not today (and by today I mean, at least since he´s foreign minister). This judgement is simply not correct. He´s gone a long road from the 70ies to his current political positions.
                            Blah

Comment

Originally posted by lord of the mark
                              His past associations surely do NOT indicate that he is or was a terrorist. They DO indicate that his judgement of terrorists and of political groups that ally with them is poor, something quite relevant to the current situation. It may also indicate that his judgements about the merits of liberal democracy, its prospects in places like Iraq, etc are similarly poor.
                              If behavior 30 years ago is indicative of current judgmental capacity, then I suppose you are comfortable with having a drunken, coke-snorting frat boy in the Oval Office?
                              Tutto nel mondo è burla

Comment

Really, someone, who likes Bush to be up there should not dig out old mud from others 30 years ago, just like Boris pointed out. In a situation with high emotions, half-true articles like that in the first post here are only unnecessary fuel in the fire. It's only escalating the whole difficult relations between Americans and Germans more. One has to have a little bit more insight into Germany's 70s to understand the story better. Imagine German newspapers questioning the credibility of the US government just because Bush did coke and drunk drive and was an intimate friend of America's greatest fraud.
                                "The world is too small in Vorarlberg". Austrian ex-vice-chancellor Hubert Gorbach in a letter to Alistar [sic] Darling, looking for a job...
                                "Let me break this down for you, fresh from algebra II. A 95% chance to win 5 times means a (95*5) chance to win = 475% chance to win." Wiglaf, Court jester or hayseed, you judge.

Comment

Working...
                                X