Sega and Sammy Corp Merge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Drake Tungsten
    Speaking of the Xbox, it seems that I was right about lag and the problems it would pose for Xbox live fighting games...
    All of the reviews of it seem to disagree...

The comic exists to make jokes, Drake, not to serve as the "official word of truth" when everyone else says otherwise.

To quote Gamespot on the game (review posted yesterday):
    The Xbox version of Capcom vs. SNK 2 EO represents what's possibly the most important achievement in fighting games since Street Fighter II was successfully ported to the Super Nintendo Entertainment System about 10 years ago. While the core game is identical to the three other versions of Capcom vs. SNK 2 released over the last year and a half for the PlayStation 2, GameCube, and Dreamcast, the Xbox version boasts one new feature that neither the previous home versions nor the arcade original had to offer: online play. Good online play. Capcom vs. SNK 2 EO technically isn't the first online-capable fighting game that's ever been made, but it's the first one to get online play right.
    Gameplay is relatively lag-free, and that's all that really matters. An occasional hiccup in the flow of the action does crop up, but these moments tend to be few and far between, and they generally won't interrupt your timing anyway.
    Between its release in arcades and its releases for the PS2, GameCube, and Dreamcast, Capcom vs. SNK 2 has already proven to be a successful sequel with fans of the original, as well as with many fans of both companies' previous efforts. So it's ironic that, despite the game itself being exactly the same for the Xbox as for all other platforms, the Xbox version stands out as such a remarkable achievement. What could have been yet another multiplatform hand-me-down has become nothing short of a revolutionary achievement in fighting games thanks to the successful implementation of online play. Fans of the genre yearning for some real competition absolutely need to own this game.
    and IGN...

I'd like to proudly state that the game plays flawlessly. And in a game where a fraction of a second of lag can turn the tides of battle, this is truly a monumental achievement. Well, maybe not, but whatever. It's still the first time we get to play a fighting game against an opponent in Japan as if they were sitting in our laps with the second player controller. That alone makes this game, and an Xbox Live account worth purchasing.
    "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
    Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

The comic exists to make jokes, Drake, not to serve as the "official word of truth" when everyone else says otherwise.

No kidding. The comic is hyperbole, but there is truth to it. Gabe commented on the lag on the site.

As for the IGN and Gamespot's reviews, don't you think that they might have better internet connections than the rest of us? I'm concerned about real world performance and one of the most watched sites in gaming just complained about it.
      KH FOR OWNER!
      ASHER FOR CEO!!
      GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

No kidding. The comic is hyperbole, but there is truth to it. Gabe commented on the lag on the site.

As for the IGN and Gamespot's reviews, don't you think that they might have better internet connections than the rest of us? I'm concerned about real world performance and one of the most watched sites in gaming just complained about it.

Actually I'm pretty sure I've got a connnection as good if not better than whatever they're using.

If you've got a bad connection, of course it's going to be a problem, but that problem isn't "xbox live fighting games", it's "RoadRunner" or "AOL Broadband" and I feel sorry for the people who live where that's the only option.

Where did they talk about it, by the way, all I see is a rant on MOO3 and a little comment about how he's going to pick Capcom vs SNK 2 up...

What date was that comic from?
        "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."

Comment

Gabe made two posts on it, which are at the bottom of the page right now. I can't seem to copy and paste the text for some reason, so you'll have to check it out yourself.
          KH FOR OWNER!
          ASHER FOR CEO!!
          GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

Gabe made two posts on it, which are at the bottom of the page right now. I can't seem to copy and paste the text for some reason, so you'll have to check it out yourself.
            That's really odd, perhaps he should look into his internet connection if he's getting lag problems.

The response on the IGN boards has been fantastic about how little lag there is and how great it is, and same with all of the real reviews I've read.

Comment

I think Gabe just needs a new ISP.

Here's my XBL network statistics as of about 10 minutes ago (and I live way the hell up in Canada and am using US servers):

The first ping number is the avg, the second ping number is the maximum. P: 8/8 means 8 out of 8 packets were returned successfully, UL is upload speed in Kbits/sec, DL is download speed in Kbits/sec.
              Attached Files

Comment

Wow, Gabe was right about the Xbox Live menu screens looking like **** as well...

BTW, does the "L" represent lag? 24ms might be enough to mess up a fighting game.
                KH FOR OWNER!
                ASHER FOR CEO!!
                GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

Wow, Gabe was right about the Xbox Live menu screens looking like **** as well...
                  That's not what he was talking about. The screen you're looking at is from the Xbox Dashboard, which is full of very moving futuristic-green HUD type things, which doesn't look very good in a digicam capture.

BTW, does the "L" represent lag? 24ms might be enough to mess up a fighting game.
                  L is latency, or lag, yes.

24ms is certainly not enough to mess up a fighting game, considering that the average human response time is something like 77ms and in competitive FPS games you aim for ~70ms ping or lower.

24ms is insanely low latency.

Comment

Gabe responds to the bashing of his ISP...

Yes I know that lots of other websites say they get no lag in CVS 2. Some of you are suggesting it might be a problem on my end, that maybe I have a ****ty connection… That hurts. That is like a guy telling you his marriage is going down hill and you say “well did you ever think that maybe your **** is too small?â€

I never once experienced lag in MechAssault so I can’t imagine how it could be a problem on my end all of a sudden. Maybe Bob internet over at Verizon just doesn’t want me playing CVS 2 and every time he sees me load it up through his magical telescope he flips a giant switch labeled “**** Gabe†and my connection goes from DSL to 56 k in the space of a second.

It honestly isn’t that bad anymore. I would say that about 80% of the games I play are silky smooth. The other 20% though are lagfests that I end up having to just quit out of.

-Gabe out
                    KH FOR OWNER!
                    ASHER FOR CEO!!
                    GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

It honestly isn’t that bad anymore. I would say that about 80% of the games I play are silky smooth. The other 20% though are lagfests that I end up having to just quit out of.
                      I'm going to go out on a limb here and assume Gabe doesn't know much about the internet?

Did it occur to him that, perhaps, his ISP took some of his gateways/nodes down for maintenance, increasing the usage of his node, during the time he played his first set of games?

The fact that it "isn't that bad anymore" and the fact that all the other websites and people on forums don't have a problem with point it to a problem on his end, either with his ISP or with his own configuration.

Whether he had no lag in mechassault is not relevant, since the internet is anything but consistent, especially on the consumer ISP end.

Then there's also his assertion that 80% of the games are "silky smooth" and 20% are "lagfests" and there's nothing inbetween obviously tells me something is being horribly inconsistent on his end...like perhaps an ISP having some kind of technical difficulties and doing loadbalancing.

Comment

I'm going to go out on a limb here and assume Gabe doesn't know much about the internet?

That would be going out on a limb. I don't see how either of us could know anything about Gabe's knowledge of the internet...
                        KH FOR OWNER!
                        ASHER FOR CEO!!
                        GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

That would be going out on a limb. I don't see how either of us could know anything about Gabe's knowledge of the internet...
                          No, but we can connect the dots when he displays a lack of knowledge.

This sentence in particular should set off red flags to people who know about the internet:
                          I never once experienced lag in MechAssault so I can’t imagine how it could be a problem on my end all of a sudden.

Yes, Gabe, that's right -- because you didn't have problems with MechAssault last week means that any problems you experience this week in Capcom vs SNK 2 is due to the game, even if it's much better now. It's simply impossible for your ISP to have technical difficulties, right Gabe...

Silly Gabe. I suppose this is why he draws comics for a living.

Comment

Send an email off to Gabe, Asher. If you're really nasty, you might get into a comic!
                            KH FOR OWNER!
                            ASHER FOR CEO!!
                            GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

Send an email off to Gabe, Asher. If you're really nasty, you might get into a comic!
                              Something tells me Gabe doesn't care for rational logic, since his comic thrives off irrational, silly things...

Comment

Something tells me Gabe doesn't care for rational logic, since his comic thrives off irrational, silly things...

Like giant Xbox couches?

KH FOR OWNER!
                                ASHER FOR CEO!!
                                GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X