Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Must one be crazy to go to London in February?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm off down to London this month...
    "Love the earth and sun and animals, despise riches, give alms to every one that asks, stand up for the stupid and crazy, devote your income and labor to others, hate tyrants, argue not concerning God, have patience and indulgence toward the people, take off your hat to nothing known or unknown . . . reexamine all you have been told at school or church or in any book, dismiss whatever insults your own soul, and your very flesh shall be a great poem and have the richest fluency" - Walt Whitman

Comment

It's not insane ... as long as you expect it to be grey and wet.
      That doesn't matter, though, it's not like you would come here for the miles of perfect sandy beaches anyway.
      Big Ben and Buckingham Palace look the same in February as they do in August.

Come on over!
      If I'm posting here then Counterglow must be down.

Comment

London is boring. Although I may only think that because I lived in cental London for three years - walking past Buckingham Palace and seeing Big Ben on a daily basis kind of removes their appeal.
        One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

Originally posted by Big Crunch
          London is boring. Although I may only think that because I lived in cental London for three years - walking past Buckingham Palace and seeing Big Ben on a daily basis kind of removes their appeal.
          Big deal. I worked overlooking Buckingham Palace and part of my job was going to places such as Westminster Cathedral, All Saints Church, Madame Tussauds, Hyde Park, Soho Square, Pall Mall- and various heritage buildings dotted around the City of Westminster, and I was never bored. When one is tired of London, one is tired of life...

In February one could go to any number of plays at the Royal National Theatre, or the Barbican, to the Dulwich Picture Gallery, to Tate Modern, to the Natural History Museum, to Whitechapel for a 'Jack the Ripper' walking tour, followed by a toothsome Bengali meal in Banglatown in Brick Lane. Or visit Camden Market (if you really want to be a tourist), or Exmouth Market, or visit Skoob Books in Sicilian Avenue, or see the Jean Cocteau murals in the Eglise Francaise just off Leicester Square, 'do' the Gay Village in Soho, browse any number of excellent charity shops wherein fabulous bargains may be found (an antique Japanese print of a samurai on horseback- 4.99 sterling), take a walking tour of the Great Fire of London sites, and climb the steps of the monument, inspect the bascules of Tower Bridge, go to Dr. Johnson's house, the Hogarth Museum, Dickens's house in Doughty Street, take in a lecture at the I.C.A. , go to a boxing match, have a steak at the Quality Chop House, and so on and so on....
          Vive la liberte. Noor Inayat Khan, Dachau.

...patriotism is not enough. I must have no hatred or bitterness towards anyone. Edith Cavell, 1915

Comment

Originally posted by molly bloom
            the Dulwich Picture Gallery
            Now that sounds exciting.
            Tutto nel mondo è burla

Comment

Originally posted by Boris Godunov

Now that sounds exciting.
              Excitement is in the mind of the beholder- if you happen to like the work of the Dutch Golden Age painters then yes, you will find it exciting. I find Pieter de Hooch's work exciting. Perhaps a trip to Compton's might satisfy you- or Expectations, or Regulation.

You'll find litotes is a characteristically British trope- the Dulwich Picture Gallery doesn't need to advertise itself as the Multimedia Extravangza Mega-moolah Experience.

Or as Disney 'world', for that matter.
              Vive la liberte. Noor Inayat Khan, Dachau.

...patriotism is not enough. I must have no hatred or bitterness towards anyone. Edith Cavell, 1915

Comment

Re: Must one be crazy to go to London in February?

No. But it sure helps.
                I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

Working...
                X