No announcement yet.

What was Achilles' nationality?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

do you realize that the word "Epirotes" is Greek?
    guess not....
    Co-Founder, Apolyton Civilization Site
    Co-Owner/Webmaster, Top40-Charts.com | CTO, Apogee Information Systems
    giannopoulos.info: my non-mobile non-photo news & articles blog

Comment

OK, now this is a personal question!

My first name is Achilles you see. I was named after my grandfather (who was christened in 1901 himself) who was given this name because he was born in the village Palaiokastro of Fthia, near the origins of the river Spercheios. The myth says that Achilles had his capital in that region, at the origins of Spercheios. I do not know if there are any ruins there, but probably the locals had found unidentified ancient ruins, which they supposed they had to be the ruins of Achilles palace. I have gone there once, but I heard nothing about this. 100 years ago, the Greeks were undergoing a nationalist phase and all ancient names were in vogue I guess.

So what does this make Achilles? He would describe himself as Myrmidon, I'm sure. And after that, he would say he was Achaean.

Ionians, Dorians, Aeolians came after the Achaeans and the Pelasgians were there before them. Incidentally, Fthia, the place of origin of both the mythical Achilles and myself, has plenty of Pelasgian ruins, chiefly the mysterious "pyramids". There is even a town named Pelasgia there nowdays.

We were not naming ourselves Hellenes until the time of Hesiod (who told the tale of Elli, the base of the myths about the origins of the Hellenes) and Homer, which was the 8th century B.C.

B.t.w. The guy in my avatar is Achille Talon, a French cartoon by Greg. Talon is a bachelor, a scholar, an amateur adventurer and lifes, where else, in Paris...
      "In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act."
      George Orwell

Comment

Originally posted by Tassadar5000
        American:

Big, strong, powerful.....but with one weakness that will kill him.
        ROTF

Socrates: "Good is That at which all things aim, If one knows what the good is, one will always do what is good." Brian: "Romanes eunt domus"
        GW 2013: "and juistin bieber is gay with me and we have 10 kids we live in u.s.a in the white house with obama"

Comment

Hes's not from Mycenae because Agememnon is from there.
          "We are living in the future, I'll tell you how I know, I read it in the paper, Fifteen years ago" - John Prine

Comment

do you realize that the word "Epirotes" is Greek?
            guess not....

Are you saying that you consider Epirotes Greeks and not Illyrians with a Graecophone aristocracy?

Ionians, Dorians, Aeolians came after the Achaeans and the Pelasgians were there before them.

Modern Greeks include all of these heterogenous people in their heritage but refuse the same silly right to FYROMites. IMHO, they should share this history and not deny it to one another.

Hes's not from Mycenae because Agememnon is from there.

Myceneans is what archaeologists call all Achaeans.
            Blog | Civ2 Scenario League | leo.petr at gmail.com

Comment

Originally posted by St Leo
              Are you saying that you consider Epirotes Greeks and not Illyrians with a Graecophone aristocracy?
              how convenient these theories are....
              Co-Founder, Apolyton Civilization Site
              Co-Owner/Webmaster, Top40-Charts.com | CTO, Apogee Information Systems
              giannopoulos.info: my non-mobile non-photo news & articles blog

Comment

Umm...achaeans are anyone from Achaea, the Acheaean League for example was around for a long time.

Achilles was a Myrmidon.
                "Wait a minute..this isn''t FAUX dive, it's just a DIVE!"
                "...Mangy dog staggering about, looking vainly for a place to die."
                "sauna stories? There are no 'sauna stories'.. I mean.. sauna is sauna. You do by the laws of sauna." -P.

Comment

He was Danish.
                  Space is big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind- bogglingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the road to the chemist's, but that's just peanuts to space.
                  Douglas Adams (Influential author)

Comment

Working...
                  X