What was Achilles' nationality?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What was Achilles' nationality?

This is inspired by Markos' insistence that Greeks didn't view Alexander's Macedonians as a separate nationality. R'lyeh, Athenians even viewed Spartans as a different nationality.
    Pelasgian
    9.09%
    Minoan
    9.09%
    Mycenean/Aegean
    18.18%
    Ionian
    0.00%
    Dorian
    0.00%
    Hellene
    9.09%
    Slavic
    18.18%
    Greek
    27.27%
    CowboyNeal:_______________________
    9.09%
    Blog | Civ2 Scenario League | leo.petr at gmail.com

It's all greek to me.
    Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

The Greeks are such sissys. He had to be a Turk.
      If you look around and think everyone else is an *******, you're the *******.

Comment

The Greeks are such sissys. He had to be a Turk.

LOL.

Comment

He was American, obviously....

-=Vel=-
          The list of published books grows. If you're curious to see what sort of stories I weave out, head to Amazon.com and do an author search for "Christopher Hartpence." Help support Candle'Bre, a game created by gamers FOR gamers. All proceeds from my published works go directly to the project.

Comment

Venezuelan.

Comment

A little known fact.
              He was actually an Australian Aborigine.
              Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
              "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
              He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Myrmidonian
                Last edited by Lefty Scaevola; February 10, 2003, 23:35.
                Gaius Mucius Scaevola Sinistra
                Japher: "crap, did I just post in this thread?"
                "Bloody hell, Lefty.....number one in my list of persons I have no intention of annoying, ever." Bugs ****ing Bunny
                From a 6th grader who readily adpated to internet culture: "Pay attention now, because your opinions suck"

Comment

American:

Big, strong, powerful.....but with one weakness that will kill him.
                  Eventis is the only refuge of the spammer. Join us now.
                  Long live teh paranoia smiley!

Comment

Re: What was Achilles' nationality?

Originally posted by St Leo
                    This is inspired by Markos' insistence that Greeks didn't view Alexander's Macedonians as a separate nationality. R'lyeh, Athenians even viewed Spartans as a different nationality.
                    The latter statement is misleading, the Athenians viewed the Spartans (and the Thebans, Corinthians, etc.) as non-Athenians, they certainly didn't view them as non-Greeks.

Both Plato and Aristotle recognise that there was a popular division between "Hellenes" and "Barbaroi"; the Macedonians are a hard case, but were regarded by most Greeks as foreigners. As far as I know the Macedonians didn't compete at the Olympic games which is for many people the distinguishing mark of the Hellenes.

Read Demosthenes anyway, he didn't like them bleedin' foreigners much....

The term "Hellenes" isn't even used in the Iliad (if I remember correctly). The terms used to describe Agamemnon, Menelaus and their allies were "Argives", "Danaans" and "Achaeans".

Interestingly, the historical evidence points to the Iliad being based on a factual Trojan war with the dispute arising over a piece of stolen religious statuary. I went to a really good guest lecture about this last year. The last I heard the "Greeks" in that war were most likely to have come from Rhodes. So if Achilles existed he was probably from there.
                    Only feebs vote.

Comment

Re: Re: What was Achilles' nationality?

Originally posted by Agathon

Read Demosthenes anyway, he didn't like them bleedin' foreigners much....

Well demosthenes had his own agenda...

Comment

Re: Re: What was Achilles' nationality?

Originally posted by Agathon
                        As far as I know the Macedonians didn't compete at the Olympic games which is for many people the distinguishing mark of the Hellenes.
                        Alexandros I (498-454BC) , King of the Macedons took part in the Olympic games....
                        (Alexander the Great was Alexander III)
                        Co-Founder, Apolyton Civilization Site
                        Co-Owner/Webmaster, Top40-Charts.com | CTO, Apogee Information Systems
                        giannopoulos.info: my non-mobile non-photo news & articles blog

Comment

He was a MACEDONIAN!
                          I will never understand why some people on Apolyton find you so clever. You're predictable, mundane, and a google-whore and the most observant of us all know this. Your battles of "wits" rely on obscurity and whenever you fail to find something sufficiently obscure, like this, you just act like a 5 year old. Congratulations, molly.

Asher on molly bloom

Comment

Re: Re: Re: What was Achilles' nationality?

Originally posted by MarkG
                            Alexandros I (498-454BC) , King of the Macedons took part in the Olympic games....
                            (Alexander the Great was Alexander III)
                            Okey Doke - I didn't know that.

I guess I'll have to troll around for some evidence on the views of the other Greeks at the time.

It's looking pretty good for him if what you say is true.
                            Only feebs vote.

Comment

Did any Epirotes compete in the Olympic Games?

Comment

Working...
                              X