"It's All About Oil"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "It's All About Oil"

Why is this myth continually propagated from the left?

* Oil prices are rising due to a war, not falling. The extra revenue is not going to petroleum companies, but mainly OPEC.

* Bush has promised that Iraqi oil belongs to the Iraqis and always will. Not the US or petroleum countires.

Right will you shut up now.
    www.my-piano.blogspot

Bush has promised
    Hmmm... when?

Comment

It's not all about oil. But if the Bush administration full of ex-oilmen isn't considering the effect of a war in the worlds premier oil producing region on the US's most important import then it'd be a bit surprising.
      Jon Miller: MikeH speaks the truth
      Jon Miller: MikeH is a shockingly revolting dolt and a masturbatory urine-reeking sideshow freak whose word is as valuable as an aging cow paddy.
      We've got both kinds

Comment

Not sure why I'm bothering, but...

1) Rising oil prices are helping all oil companies, including domestic US ones

2) I wouldn't believe any promise made by Bush or any other president, especially when the stakes are this high

3) Using the Bush administation's own rhetorical yardstick, Kim Jong Il measures up as way more dangerous than Saddam. Yet with him we're negotiating. Now why is that?

4) The oil-less Taliban hid Osama Bin Laden. The oil-rich Saudis funded him (and probably continue to do so. Whom did we bomb the crap out of, whom do we still call our friend, and what does that tell you about US foreign policy?

5) The US almost certainly played a role in last year's failed coup in Venezuela. Why? (Hint: The chief issue was Venezuelan oil, and the US weighed in on the side of the oil monopoly).

5) The US has 5% of the world's population and uses 20-25% of the world's oil. Gas-guzzling SUVs are the fastest-growing segment of its car market. Its fastest-growing regions are the suburbs, which generally lack any form of mass transportation. It's fastest growing cities are in the south and west, where cities can generally be navigated only by car (pedestrian-unfriendly, mass-transit-free). It's the only industrialized country in the world without a decent rail infrastructure. In America, everything is about oil.
        "I have as much authority as the pope. I just don't have as many people who believe it." — George Carlin

Comment

It's all about flamebaiting.
          (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
          (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
          (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

Its a factor, and certainly influences America's non-military foreign policy.
            I doubt that Big Oil is really that desperate, especially since Saddam would sell as much oil as he could if sanctions were lifted.

Its more a case of protecting US interests, of which one of them is a steady supply of oil.

Still it's not the major reason they're going to war.
            Apart from anything else, its America stomping around like a latter day Rome.
            Res ipsa loquitur

Comment

Hear hear, Rufus!

The majority of the World's population is not buying the lies of the Bush Administration - the problem is whether that will be enough to stop his mad crusade...
              Is it me, or is MOBIUS a horrible person?

Comment

Oil is not factor.

But even if it were, Bush and Powell have made a very good case for war on other grounds. It's those grounds that need to be considered.

Oil is a side matter. Anyway, if it is good the American economy, then it is good for the world economy. Would you rather the world economy be harmed?

Typical lefty: I'm against war because it's about oil.
                www.my-piano.blogspot

Comment

Typical righty: Kill all those rag heads, we don't need their stinking oil.
                  Jon Miller: MikeH is a shockingly revolting dolt and a masturbatory urine-reeking sideshow freak whose word is as valuable as an aging cow paddy.
                  We've got both kinds

Comment

Originally posted by MikeH
                    Typical righty: Kill all those rag heads, we don't need their stinking oil.
                    Even though all our aircraft carriers, warplanes, MBTS, APCS, missiles etc consume the stuff like it's going out of fashion...

Hey maybe they're going after Iraq to cover for all the oil they're going to consume in the coming war?

Sort of like the serpent eating it's own tail...
                    Is it me, or is MOBIUS a horrible person?

Comment

Bush has promised that Iraqi oil belongs to the Iraqis and always will.
                      Boddington... give me a link, please?

Ming on rakastajani
                      You do know what that means, right?

Comment

Oil rises in the short term, but after Saddam, American companies will be the first ones to "buy" the oil from Iraqi's. Basically, we're creating another Saudi Arabia by making a bunch of Iraqi businessmen rich while they funnel most of the money to Islamic fundamentalists just like the Saudis.
                        To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

If it has nothing to do with oil, why are we trying to blackmail Russia and France into supporting us by threatening that they will have no access to Iraqi oil after the war?
                          Tutto nel mondo è burla

Comment

Originally posted by Tuomerehu You do know what that means, right?
                            Yep.
                            We've got both kinds

Comment

Originally posted by Tuomerehu

:

You do know what that means, right?
                              I don't
                              Space is big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind- bogglingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the road to the chemist's, but that's just peanuts to space.
                              Douglas Adams (Influential author)

Comment

Working...
                              X