No announcement yet.

Thesis writing, what fun!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Boddy - The 50,000 words was the maximum limit the Academic Senate put on undergrad papers. Yours comes in well within that limit.

Comment

1500 words? That's just about four pages, that's nothing!

50,000 words doesn't seem that much considering it was written by a future minister at a time when higher education was less like mass production than it is now. Then again we don't know exacly how many words he used, maybe it was 50,000 pages.

Comment

i have no time..two jobs...17 hours of school....
        i want to tell everyone to bug off!
        "Speaking on the subject of conformity: This rotting concept of the unfathomable nostril mystifies the fuming crotch of my being!!! Stop with the mooing you damned chihuahua!!! Ganglia!! Rats eat babies!" ~ happy noodle boy

Comment

Man, you guys have it easy, how's this for masochism?

I have to write at least 250 pages and translate a whole stack of stuff from Greek before I even start writing the thesis (for those who've never done it, translating Greek is a painstakinglyslow process in which you spend most of your time flicking through what looks like a couple of phone books).

And learn French

And learn German (Achtung!)

Become familiar with all the major works of Aristotle..

But before all that I had to.

Complete a year's grad courses (6).

learn classical greek part time from scratch in 2 years (to an equivalent standard of a 4 year undergrad degree in Greek - i.e. basically do a degree on top of my other stuff).

Pass an exam in which you get 50 lines of Greek and a pencil and a piece of paper and nothing else (95% accuracy required - that's worse than Princeton requires for their program).

Read and take a 4 hour exam on the entire works of Plato (1808 pages) + 15 works of secondary literature.

Conduct an oral defence of the above exam.

Translate Plato's Sophist from Greek (the whole thing) and pass a 2 hour translation exam (no aids allowed). This exam takes place right after the 4 hour one.

Conduct an oral defence of the translation.

Yes, life sucks...

And, when we were small our Dads used to cut us up into small pieces and...
          Only feebs vote.

Comment

Why the hell are you doing that? Are you trying to immigrate to Greece to become a philosophy proffessor in the university?
            "In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act."
            George Orwell

Comment

I'm finished with mine!!!

The whole 113 pages...

Freedom at last!
              Good luck to the rest of you!
              "In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act."
              George Orwell

Comment

Working...
              X