Are There Splits Within Your Country?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are There Splits Within Your Country?

Even between the same ethnic groups..? I'm talking on MSN to a girl from Hull (ie northern England) who is at university in Essex (southern England).

Some quotes.

"I hate them even more for being surrounded by them - they're completely detached from reality and right up their own arses - sometimes it's enough to literally make you feel sick."

"And they can't tell if you say something funny, and think you're weird if you say something funny thrn laugh"

"Well generally speaking, most Northern people talk with a constant level of irony and self-deprecating humour, this, plus the grim voice, and 'lack of enthusiasm' is completely beyond them."
    www.my-piano.blogspot

I'm southern but I'm not going to defend them, she's in Essex! What did she expect? Of course they are going to be stupid, completely unaware of irony and arrogant.

Great use of the word literally though. I'd love to see her vomiting when people are talking to her.
    Jon Miller: MikeH speaks the truth
    Jon Miller: MikeH is a shockingly revolting dolt and a masturbatory urine-reeking sideshow freak whose word is as valuable as an aging cow paddy.
    We've got both kinds

Comment

Sounds like she'd be perfect for you though.
      Jon Miller: MikeH is a shockingly revolting dolt and a masturbatory urine-reeking sideshow freak whose word is as valuable as an aging cow paddy.
      We've got both kinds

Comment

Banana splits?

(or am I in the wrong thread? )
        Never give an AI an even break.

Comment

Seriously though, people from Hull are regarded as rather strange in the rest of Yorkshire, let alone down South. (Funny how one goes DOWN south!)

Comment

And people in Essex are regarded as rather strange in the South.

There are loads of splits. For instance in Reading we have casual contempt for the residents of Swindon, Slough and Oxford which are all just down the road.

{troll}
            All this North vs South stuff is just jealousy on the part of you Northerners 'cause we have all the money, jobs and attractive women down here.
            {/troll}
            We've got both kinds

Comment

Are There Splits Within Your Country?

A lot.

Some are at the heart of the society, some are very noticeable, some can only be seen in certain areas, some exist only in the minds of the politicans. But a lot.
              "Beware of he who would deny you access to information, for in his heart he dreams himself your master" - Commissioner Pravin Lal.

Comment

Isn't PH from Hell as well ?
                "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
                "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
                "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Comment

Yeah, and he thinks that us Southerners are so bad he won't move down here to get a job in his chosen field.
                  We've got both kinds

Comment

Re: Are There Splits Within Your Country?

Originally posted by Boddington's
                    "Well generally speaking, most Northern people talk with a constant level of irony and self-deprecating humour, this, plus the grim voice, and 'lack of enthusiasm' is completely beyond them."
                    The part about self-deprecating humour definatley rings true, i've mainly met southerners when i've been on holiday with friends, and two groups of northern lads can get on a lot easier and have a better 'laugh' with each other than with southerners and IMO the humour thing is the main reason.

A gang of blokes on holiday take the piss out of each other and themselves pretty much non stop, a lot of southerners just don't seem to 'get' it.

Comment

Originally posted by MikeH
                      {troll}
                      All this North vs South stuff is just jealousy on the part of you Northerners 'cause we have all the money, jobs and attractive women down here.
                      {/troll}
                      (troll)
                      1 It doesn't take me 3 hours to get to work.

2 I can afford a house, not be ripped off for £300,000 for a flat so small it would be illegal to keep an animal in.

3 We only export the northern women who have with no sense of humour (a genetic mutation I suppose)
                      (/troll)

Comment

(My mother's from Yorkshire, Castleford)

It might not take you 3 hours to get to work but how long does it take you to go and sign on?

For 300,000 I could buy a 5 bedroom house. It'd only be £60,000 for a flat so small it would be illegal to keep an animal in it.

She does sound like a miserable cow doesn't she.
                        We've got both kinds

Comment

Re: Are There Splits Within Your Country?

Originally posted by Boddington's
                          Even between the same ethnic groups..?"Well generally speaking, most Northern people talk with a constant level of irony and self-deprecating humour, this, plus the grim voice, and 'lack of enthusiasm' is completely beyond them."

Don't get me started.
                          Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
                          "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
                          He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Well, I go to university in Hull, and I avoid the locals like the plague (well, I met Provost Harrison once and he seemed OK ), because most of them are just, well, odd. I have a lot of friends at uni who are foreign, and the one thing they talk about is the accent in Hull. Most of them find it odd that I, coming from a village only 20 miles from Hull, don't speak with the same accent.
                            "Paul Hanson, you should give Gibraltar back to the Spanish" - Paiktis, dramatically over-estimating my influence in diplomatic circles.

Eyewerks - you know you want to visit. No really, you do. Go on, click me.

Comment

Originally posted by MikeH
                              I'm southern but I'm not going to defend them, she's in Essex! What did she expect? Of course they are going to be stupid, completely unaware of irony and arrogant.

Great use of the word literally though. I'd love to see her vomiting when people are talking to her.
                              Essex is a stones throw from me, and we have no respect for the Essex 'culture'.
                              One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

Working...
                              X