• Show
Clear All

• Should I Stay or Should I go?

Should I stay or should I go now?
    Should I stay or should I go now?
    If I go there will be trouble
    An' if I stay it will be double
    So come on and let me know

So, between the "wife" and I, we're gonna have about $1,000 back from our refunds (and after some bills are paid). We're strongly considering moving away from Jax. There are no jobs here, not much culture, and without a car life is seriously boring (although we've just started making friends here.

We're considering the Ft. Lauderdale metro area (and also North Miami Beach). There are many more web design jobs down there, and there are more upscale retail places (where Bunnygrrl can work).

The risk is: what if I get an offer someplace else just before or just after we move? Also, my unemployment will run out in early to mid April. Maybe we should hold on to the money to move up to Indianapolis to work at Dad's BK's.

I played it conservative last year, and that was a mistake in retrospect. Either way it's a risk, but I don't like the odds we have with staying.
    Stay in Jacksonville
    0.00%
    Move to Ft. Lauderdale Metro
    60.00%
    Move to a banana republic
    40.00%
    Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Re: Should I Stay or Should I go?

Originally posted by chegitz guevara
    The risk is: what if I get an offer someplace else just before or just after we move?
    If that happens you just have to say "oh well" and get on with life. I reckon you would be better off moving. Don't let the (remote?) possibility of something coming up where you are hold you back when you know there are more opportunities elsewhere.
    ...people like to cry a lot... - Pekka
    ...we just argue without evidence, secure in our own superiority. - Snotty

Comment

Ft. Lauderdale sounds like the best option BTW.

Comment

That's what we think, but we want to be sure.
        Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

Have you applied for any jobs there yet?

Comment

I cant speak to your economic prospects.

I once lived in Jacksonville, and well, lets just say i was very happy to leave. I found it quite boring WITH a car, though that was a few years ago and I suppose its improved since then.

And of course I was single, and Jewish, and with the range of interests i have discussed here - well lets just say I was VERY happy to leave.
            "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

It's not rosy anywhere right now, I don't imagine.
              If you keep moving on, are you hoping to just blunder into something?

This brings to mind something else.
              I knew 2 sisters and a brother that used to travel back and forth between New Joisey and California.
              They collected welfare and any gimmes they could.
              HOW did they travel? I mean, other than by bus?
              Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
              "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
              He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Caligastia is right - It all depends on if you have any job offers in the Fort Lauderdale area yet. If you haven't, I would stay where you're at until you some firm bites....of course if you're currently unemployed and have the money stashed away to live on until you find a job - then go for it I say.
                "One day if I do go to heaven, I'm going to do what every San Franciscan does who goes to heaven - I'll look around and say, 'It ain't bad, but it ain't San Francisco.'" - Herb Caen, 1996
                "If God, as they say, is homophobic, I wouldn't worship that God." - Archbishop Desmond Tutu

Comment

Didn't you say you had a job offer in North Carolina?
                  "I'm moving to the Left" - Lancer

"I imagine the neighbors on your right are estatic." - Slowwhand

Comment

If you move, I think the best options will either be Chicago (home home) or where the highest concentration of website design jobs is.
                    (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
                    (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
                    (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

Do not move to any of the Midwestern states.
                      A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

Your safest bet may be to work at your father's Burger King franchises while at the same time looking for Web design jobs in that immediate vicinity. Then again, I don't know what the market is like near Indianapolis for that sort of job, or what prospects your partner would have up there.

Gatekeeper
                        "I may not agree with what you have to say, but I'll die defending your right to say it." — Voltaire

"Wheresoever you go, go with all your heart." — Confucius

Comment

Agreed. It might be best to got to Indianapolis, and look for other jobs from there.
                          "Beware of the man who works hard to learn something, learns it, and finds himself no wiser than before. He is full of murderous resentment of people who are ignorant without having come by their ignorance the hard way. "
                          -Bokonon

Comment

all I know about Ft. Lauderdale is when our ship did a port call there we went to all the bars and strip clubs.

I think I went to every single bar on the beach. And there are a lot of them. I hit most of the strip clubs too

Comment

che,

Have you tried orange's suggestion, actively soliciting website design businesses from local SME's?
                              (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
                              (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
                              (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

Working...
                              X