GM seeds - who benefits?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GM seeds - who benefits?

Article about patenting and modifying biological material, especially seeds, and a new EU approach to benefit third world farmers.

BBC, News, BBC News, news online, world, uk, international, foreign, british, online, service

The point that struck me was the suggestion that seeds could be modified so that the resulting plant would not produce further seeds. one way of stopping GM plants spreading but great for the bio-tech companies turnover.
    Never give an AI an even break.

That's a great plan - until a stray mutation causes one of the plants to be able to procreate.
    I'm building a wagon! On some other part of the internets, obviously (but not that other site).

Comment

This is really going to confuse the lefties.

What do they want..GM crops not spreading as they tree-huggingly wanted. Or the greedy, filthy, money-loving, greedy biotech companies getting their just rewards on a sound investment.
      www.my-piano.blogspot

Comment

Originally posted by Boddington's

What do they want..GM crops not spreading as they tree-huggingly wanted. Or the greedy, filthy, money-loving, greedy biotech companies getting their just rewards on a sound investment.

Niether. I don't want GM crops, period.
        Rethink Refuse Reduce Reuse

Do It Ourselves

Comment

Originally posted by Boddington's

That's a classic.

I'm a lefty and I think that GM crops are a good thing as long as they are developed and used responsibly, which I don't think that even you fascist righties would disagree with.
          Jon Miller: MikeH speaks the truth
          Jon Miller: MikeH is a shockingly revolting dolt and a masturbatory urine-reeking sideshow freak whose word is as valuable as an aging cow paddy.
          We've got both kinds

Comment

Wheat is a GM crop, its just been done over a long period.
            Space is big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind- bogglingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the road to the chemist's, but that's just peanuts to space.
            Douglas Adams (Influential author)

Comment

We are GM.
              www.my-piano.blogspot

Comment

Everything animal used by humans has been genetically modified. Its just that now we have more powerful tools to do the genetic modifications (although more powerful tools means more opportunity for mistakes).
                I'm building a wagon! On some other part of the internets, obviously (but not that other site).

Comment

Responsible GM
                  Responsible GM
                  Responsible GM

I am not totally against patentation. However I think that the patents should be short.

we should be careful with GM, but not be crazy about it.
                  urgh.NSFW

Comment

Genetic modification isn't the same as breeding plants and animals, not in the sense that is currently used.

Personally, I am against GM. Preliminary studies have already shown that spliced genes spread into the environment, contradicting the assertion of biotech companies. So, how much more are they hiding from the public?

The main point, however, is not there is insufficient food in the world. There is - it is just poorly distributed.
                    (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
                    (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
                    (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

EDIT: Nevermind, I think I get it now.

Comment

Quite so UR

I think it's just you Skanky

Comment

Originally posted by Skanky Burns
                          Preliminary studies have already shown that spliced genes spread into the environment, contradicting the assertion of biotech companies.

Is it just me, or does that sentence not make sense?
                          Oh, picky people.

What I was trying to say is the spliced genes do spread into the environment via a number of routes, while the biotech companies asserted that they wouldn't.
                          (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan

Comment

Personally, I am against GM. Preliminary studies have already shown that spliced genes spread into the environment,
                            what do you mean by that? that the GM crop spreads into the enviroment? or that the genes spread into the enviroment?
                            urgh.NSFW

Comment

The genes.

Nobody knows what they would do, it could get us all into deep trouble.

Comment

Working...
                              X