Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What political party do you most often vote for?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What political party do you most often vote for?

For me, Republican. Reasons:

- Environment. I agree that this is important, but we have bigger problems. There are still people who can't pay for their rent, or medication. If the money that big businesses pay for less-polluting factories went to people who needed the money, we'd be better off.

- Taxes. Although it is necessary for the government to run some programs, it is inefficient and hence should only be used for absolutely necessary stuff. I prefer low taxes and more freedom to do what I want with my money.

- Terrorism stance. I'd rather have Bush's big "National Security" charade (which, I will admit, is a bit over the top and not that effective) than nothing at all, which the Democrats seem to espouse.

- Integrity. I know people will try to argue with this one, but things like the Lewinsky scandal, the Mark Rich scandal, the Wellstone funeral, and the Torricelli switcharoo do not attract me to the Democratic party. Neither does the fact that their frontrunners for 2004 include a personal injuries lawyer and a golddigger.

Note: Someone's going to point out GOP scandals, even though I am aware of them, and try to say that the Democrats are paragons of virtue in comparison. I won't be swayed in opinion, and neither will they, so it's pointless to bother in the first place.

I have one issue with the Republican party, and that's the recent criticism of affirmative action. If whiny white students with C+ averages don't like the policy, it's their problem. Black people 50 years ago weren't even allowed to apply to most colleges.

Anyway, there's my stance and my reasoning.

edit: I forgot to say that the point is to test my hypothesis that most of 'poly's liberals are non-American.
    Democrat
    12.86%
    Republican
    18.57%
    Green
    7.14%
    Other weird one
    14.29%
    If I was American I'd vote Democrat
    15.71%
    If I was American I'd vote Republican
    11.43%
    If I was American I'd vote Green
    14.29%
    If I was American I'd vote for some other weird one
    5.71%
    Last edited by Jaguar; February 1, 2003, 23:29.
    "You're the biggest user of hindsight that I've ever known. Your favorite team, in any sport, is the one that just won. If you were a woman, you'd likely be a slut." - Slowwhand, to Imran

Eschewing silly games since December 4, 2005

aren't you 13?
    "Chegitz, still angry about the fall of the Soviet Union in 1991?
    You provide no source. You PROVIDE NOTHING! And yet you want to destroy capitalism.. you criminal..." - Fez

"I was hoping for a Communist utopia that would last forever." - Imran Siddiqui

Comment

14 and three quarters.
      "You're the biggest user of hindsight that I've ever known. Your favorite team, in any sport, is the one that just won. If you were a woman, you'd likely be a slut." - Slowwhand, to Imran

Comment

BTW if you're pointing out the flawed wording of my poll (I'm not old enough to vote) I already noticed. Shh!

Comment

you'll change your mind on those things soon enough. Just keep visiting poly. Come back and vote in this poll when you're old enough to do so in real life. Thanks.
          "Chegitz, still angry about the fall of the Soviet Union in 1991?
          You provide no source. You PROVIDE NOTHING! And yet you want to destroy capitalism.. you criminal..." - Fez

"I was hoping for a Communist utopia that would last forever." - Imran Siddiqui

Comment

I vote either Green or Libertarian -- they're both so ****ing crazy that there's no chance in hell that they'd be elected, so I'm in the enviable position of not being at fault for the actions of the President or Congress (since I voted against them) while at the same time being allowed to criticize both the President and Congress (since, again, I voted against them). I'm thus immune to a plethora of snide remarks with regards to my political views (or lack thereof), ranging from "Oh sure, like your guy would have done any better" (yes he would -- he had the decency to not get elected, which is a fair sight better than getting elected) to "You didn't even vote, so you have no right to criticize the President/Congress" (Ah, but technically, I did vote).
            <p style="font-size:1024px">HTML is disabled in signatures </p>

Comment

Originally posted by Jaguar Warrior
              14 and three quarters.
              That explains it.
              Eventis is the only refuge of the spammer. Join us now.
              Long live teh paranoia smiley!

Comment

You forgot the banana party. How silly of you.

or a "sausage party"... but thats not too popular with guys. Maybe girls might like it, but if they were there it wouldnt be a sausage party now wouldnt it? Think deep and hard about this Zen like statement.... LOL deep and hard.

Okay Im trippin~
                :-p

Comment

I voted in 2000, when I turned 18 and just did a straight Republican ticket. This was made easier because about half of the positions in my county were one party elections.

Since then, I've decided to abstain from voting. I agree with many Republican stances but the whole system is a joke and I won't perpetuate it. I like Republican economic policies for the most part, and while I don' agree with their reasons for getting rid of AA, I am opposed to AA (if we're going for equality, shouldn't we just ignore race? ie why do I inform my college what race I am?). I am of the opinion that the government is in place to pretect me from jackasses and criminals. The thing I hate about both parties is that they place too much emphasis on relegion and how moral they are.
                  I never know their names, But i smile just the same
                  New faces...Strange places,
                  Most everything i see, Becomes a blur to me
                  -Grandaddy, "The Final Push to the Sum"

Comment

Libertarian, for many of the reasons the incomparable Loinburger mentioned. Wutang!
                    KH FOR OWNER!
                    ASHER FOR CEO!!
                    GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

Only had one chance to vote so far, the 2002 elections, where I voted for the Republicans.
                      "I'm moving to the Left" - Lancer

"I imagine the neighbors on your right are estatic." - Slowwhand

Comment

You forgot 'choose not to vote.' So I can't select any.
                        "When you ride alone, you ride with Bin Ladin"-Bill Maher
                        "All capital is dripping with blood."-Karl Marx
                        "Of course, my response to your Marx quote is 'So?'"-Imran Siddiqui

Comment

<------Democrat
                          "I hope I get to punch you in the face one day" - MRT144, Imran Siddiqui
                          'I'm fairly certain that a ban on me punching you in the face is not a "right" worth respecting." - loinburger

Comment

When I was young, I really prided myself in scattering my votes. I've voted Democratic, Republican, Libertian (long before it was fashionable), & Peace and Freedom. My coolest vote ever was when Jerry Brown (whom I hate) was running against some psycho-devil Republican for Governor of California. The P&F candidate was a young woman who took off her clothes and campaigned nude on Venice Beach, proclaiming "I have nothing to hide." Soooooo, guess who got my vote.

Now I vote almost straight Democratic...not 'cause I love the Dems so much but to thwart the Republican madness which is epidemic. The Republican's only two solution to any problem is (1) to starve some necesary government program (except the military) and (2) to give huge tax breaks to the wealthy, even if it means running up huge deficients. Oh yeah, and in the meantime, give big business anything it wants: tax-free profits, increased rights to pollute, corporate rip-offs with no chance of punishment. Bah!

Comment

I vote for the candidate with the best chance to beat the Republican...

oh BTW, Republicans have integrity? BWAWHAHAHAA

Democrats may be f*cking their interns, but Republicans are f*cking the American people...
                              To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Working...
                              X