Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do all nations have debt? Is the US debt the worst?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Gangerolf
    what's happening to the swedish kr? 1 SEK used to be about 1 NOK. now it's more like 1 SEK = 0,8 NOK
    The central bank gave up the defense of the swedish kr in 1992 that lead to a de facto devaluation bigger than the planned one in 1982. Good for the export industry, bad for the rest of us.

Comment

Originally posted by panag
      hi ,

in the country with the european capital , belgium the dept runs like 110 percent of the GNP , .....
      Digged in the 70's
      well no wonder , people pay 50 % income tax , half of the economy is done under the table , .....
      No comment (re: I +/- agree)

and the politcal parties are more occupied with the ME then the problems they have in belgium , ....
      Well, not exactly. They were very occupied with it at the time we were presiding the EU. They went there, not as belgians, but as europeans...

Now if you speak about the universal competence thing, well, its not only ME, but also Europe (Milosevic), SAmerica(Pinochet), Asia(?), Africa(Rwanda)... but that's something else.

have a nice debt free day
      The books that the world calls immoral are the books that show the world its own shame. Oscar Wilde.

Comment

As a percent of GDP the U.S.'s debt is quite small. Last I heard Italy had the highest debt as a percent of GDP.
        Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

If one should be fair about this one has to take the assets of the state into consideration. A state usually owns a lot of buildings and companies that improves the figures a bit. I don't have a clue how much it does that in any country though.

Comment

No, Japan has a much higher number. 155%

UK @ 36%
            US @ 57%
            Euro Area @ 70%
            I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

Originally posted by Dry

Digged in the 70's

No comment (re: I +/- agree)

Well, not exactly. They were very occupied with it at the time we were presiding the EU. They went there, not as belgians, but as europeans...

Now if you speak about the universal competence thing, well, its not only ME, but also Europe (Milosevic), SAmerica(Pinochet), Asia(?), Africa(Rwanda)... but that's something else.

hi ,

according to the belgian fed its like 106.9

have a nice day
              - RES NON VERBA - DE OPRESSO LIBER - VERITAS ET LIBERTAS - O TOLMON NIKA - SINE PARI - VIGLIA PRETIUM LIBERTAS - SI VIS PACEM , PARA BELLUM -
              - LEGIO PATRIA NOSTRA - one shot , one kill - freedom exists only in a book - everything you always wanted to know about special forces - everything you always wanted to know about Israel - what Dabur does in his free time , ... - in french - “Become an anti-Semitic teacher for 5 Euro only.”
              WHY DOES ISRAEL NEED A SECURITY FENCE --- join in an exceptional demo game > join here forum is now open ! - the new civ Conquest screenshots > go see them UPDATED 07.11.2003 ISRAEL > crisis or challenge ?

Comment

AH, 22,161? Is that all? Where do I send the check?

So most countries have debt, some twice US debt per capita and Japan x3. No wonder Japan has been in the pits for the last couple of decades.

Eventually there must be a train wreck, yes? When debt and interest payments exceed income from taxes? When will that be, is it possible to set a date...assuming an average 3% growth rate? When does Japan go under, I assume they would be the first...and would they pull the rest down too?
                Long time member @ Apolyton
                Civilization player since the dawn of time

Comment

Estonia has virtually nil, save for a maybe a hundred mil from IMF to build its currency board. They will do a debut Eurobond someday this year, but the banks will be bled to death by competition for the mandate. Sten, short Estonia, long Lithuania
                  Originally posted by Serb:Please, remind me, how exactly and when exactly, Russia bullied its neighbors?
                  Originally posted by Ted Striker:Go Serb !
                  Originally posted by Pekka:If it was possible to capture the essentials of Sepultura in a dildo, I'd attach it to a bicycle and ride it up your azzes.

Comment

Its all Keynes Fault...

US debt was decreasing under Clinton.

Germany: 59,8
                    1.241.127.392.468 €

Auf Staatsverschuldung.de nehmen wir Staatsschulden unter die Lupe: Definition, Zahlen, Daten, Fakten, Vorteile und Nachteile. Jetzt mehr erfahren!
                    Last edited by Main_Brain; January 30, 2003, 13:28.
                    Curse your sudden but inevitable betrayal!

Comment

Ausland: Europa

Wenn man die deutsche Staatsverschuldung mit der anderer Länder vergleicht, muss man berücksichtigen, dass die Volkswirtschaften verschieden groß sind. Deshalb wird die Gesamtverschuldung nicht in absoluten Geldbeträgen ausgedrückt, sondern in Beziehung zum Bruttoinlandsprodukt (BIP) gesetzt. Nach den Maastricht-Kriterien für die EURO-Währungsunion soll die Gesamtverschuldung 60% des BIP nicht übersteigen. - Für den 31.12.2001 nennt die Europäische Union (EUROSTAT) folgende Zahlen:

Belgien 107,5% Auf den ersten Blick erscheint es zwar so, als lägen zwischen den Ländern gewaltige, entscheidende Unterschiede. Und tatsächlich ist die Gesamtverschuldung in Italien und Belgien zweieinhalbmal so hoch so hoch wie im Vereinigten Königreich.

Aber das verstellt den Blick darauf, dass alle europäischen Länder viel zu hohe Schulden haben! Alle sind belastet durch in Jahrzehnten aufgehäufte Schulden, die jetzt die Steuern erhöhen und das Aushandeln politischer Kompromisse erschweren. Von den vier großen Staaten betreibt nur ein einziger eine konsequente Politik des Schuldenabbaus: Großbritannien.

Weiter muss man daran zweifeln, ob die Maastricht-Kriterien ernst genommen werden. Schon jetzt nehmen drei Länder (Belgien, Griechenland, Italien) an der Währungsunion teil, bei denen die 60%-Grenze dramatisch überschritten ist. Und es erscheint fraglich, ob bei einer neuerlichen Überschreitung der Grenzen wirklich Sanktionen gegen das betreffende Land verhängt werden, wie vorgesehen: Schließlich geht es dem Land dann gerade besonders schlecht.

Wenn man alle 15 EU-Staaten gemeinsam betrachtet, haben sie im Jahre 2001 ihre Verschuldung wieder erhöht, während es im Vorjahr wegen guter Konjunktur zu einem Abbau gekommen war. Einziger Lichtblick war 2001, dass die Verschuldung langsamer wuchs als die EU-Volkswirtschaften. Das wird 2002 wohl anders.
                      Dänemark 44,5%
                      Deutschland 59,8%
                      Finnland 43,6%
                      Frankreich 57,2%
                      Griechenland 99,7%
                      Irland 36,6%
                      Italien 109,4%
                      Luxemburg 5,5%
                      Niederlande 53,2%
                      Österreich 61,7%
                      Portugal 55,6%
                      Schweden 56,0%
                      Spanien 57,2%
                      Vereinigtes Königreich 39,0%

hi ,

WTF , what are they doing in belgium , .....

sjeezus , those people should play a game of civ ones in a while , .....

have a nice day
                      - RES NON VERBA - DE OPRESSO LIBER - VERITAS ET LIBERTAS - O TOLMON NIKA - SINE PARI - VIGLIA PRETIUM LIBERTAS - SI VIS PACEM , PARA BELLUM -
                      - LEGIO PATRIA NOSTRA - one shot , one kill - freedom exists only in a book - everything you always wanted to know about special forces - everything you always wanted to know about Israel - what Dabur does in his free time , ... - in french - “Become an anti-Semitic teacher for 5 Euro only.”
                      WHY DOES ISRAEL NEED A SECURITY FENCE --- join in an exceptional demo game > join here forum is now open ! - the new civ Conquest screenshots > go see them UPDATED 07.11.2003 ISRAEL > crisis or challenge ?

Comment

UK's is good because of the excellent financial management of the last hmm 9 years bar the last 2.

We're gonna pay for Brown's splurge on the NHS.
                        www.my-piano.blogspot

Comment

A couple of facts about national debt.

First, usually the owners of the debt are the citizens of the same country. For example, US citizens own most of our debt. In this way we (as a country) are not paying out the interest on the debt. We just pay each other. It's called a transfer payment. If foreigners own your debt then the interest payed on your debt leaves the country.

Second, national debt usually much less of an adverse effect on the economy that most people believe. It really has no effect on interest rates, inflation, employment, investment etc.. However, in general it is a transfer in income to the wealthy from the tax payers. Often these people are in the same econo-class so it make little difference. When taxes are weighed heavily on the middle class and the interest is high on the debt you will see the disparity in income increase though.

edit: one more, debt never really has to be paid off. you just don't want it to increase faster than your tax base.
                          "When you ride alone, you ride with Bin Ladin"-Bill Maher
                          "All capital is dripping with blood."-Karl Marx
                          "Of course, my response to your Marx quote is 'So?'"-Imran Siddiqui

Comment

Uhhh....right....

Originally posted by DuncanK
                            It really has no effect on interest rates, inflation, employment, investment etc..
                            Not to put too fine a point on it, but you just said that there is no such thing as fiscal or monetary policy. I think that will come as news to most people, not just economists.
                            Old posters never die.
                            They j.u.s.t..f..a..d..e...a...w...a...y....

Comment

Re: Uhhh....right....

Originally posted by Adam Smith
                              Not to put too fine a point on it, but you just said that there is no such thing as fiscal or monetary policy. I think that will come as news to most people, not just economists.
                              Adam Smith, I know you are just trying to get me riled. Just to let you know, I'm not even bothered thay you are once again saying that I said something that I didn't say.

A budget deficit will certainly have an effect on interest rates, but the debt itself does not have an effect. That is, interest rates aren't going to keep increasing just because of the national debt.
                              "When you ride alone, you ride with Bin Ladin"-Bill Maher
                              "All capital is dripping with blood."-Karl Marx
                              "Of course, my response to your Marx quote is 'So?'"-Imran Siddiqui

Comment

"A budget deficit will certainly have an effect on interest rates, but the debt itself does not have an effect."

www.my-piano.blogspot

Comment

Working...
                                X